Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

in a nutshell: describe the various Marriott brands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2007, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond

I am new to MR and can't find a sticky or thread in the forum that describes the differences between each of the Marriott brands. There is this from the Marriott corporate webpage:

http://marriott.com/corporateinfo/glance.mi

describing each of the brands from the company's point of view. Is there something similar here on FT - with FTer point of views?

I'm trying to decide how to pick a property, having stayed only once at a Marriot before.
Old May 12, 2007, 1:49 pm

There are a couple of sources online I've found to be reliable in terms of judging properties.

1. This Forum. (On its homepage, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=427)

using the Search Mechanism and you'll see the views on Marriott properties by a group, the members of which, frequent them with extraordinary frequency for business and pleasure. Often you'll see some very dtailed trip reports that delve into minutia and subject matter that you won't see anywhere else.

2. A second is www.tripadvisor.com where you'll see objective ratings and subjective opinions including those of participants in Marriott Rewards and also the more casual pleasure-only traveler.

I've found that researching on both sites when I'm personally unfamiliar with a property and am contemplating a pleasure stay that's going to cost a not inconsiderable amount in currency or points gives you a pretty good idea as to what to expect.
Old May 12, 2007, 2:01 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
From my point of view, as biased as it is, this is the breakdown:

- JW Marriott: the top

- Marriott and Renaissance: full service hotels, typically with an executive lounge (which is nice when you're gold and above)

- Springhill Suites: bigger rooms (some places like Montreal, 2 TVs), with a fridge and a microwave

- Residence Inn: for the longer stays. They have a fully equiped kitchen.

- Courtyard: a good room with a restaurant. Some have fridges.

- Fairfield Inn: the lower cost variant of Courtyard. Although they typically include a buffet breakfast.

That's my nutshell summary. Feel free to PM me for more of my 2 cents.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old May 12, 2007, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
From my point of view, as biased as it is, this is the breakdown:

- JW Marriott: the top

- Marriott and Renaissance: full service hotels, typically with an executive lounge (which is nice when you're gold and above)

- Springhill Suites: bigger rooms (some places like Montreal, 2 TVs), with a fridge and a microwave

- Residence Inn: for the longer stays. They have a fully equiped kitchen.

- Courtyard: a good room with a restaurant. Some have fridges.

- Fairfield Inn: the lower cost variant of Courtyard. Although they typically include a buffet breakfast.

That's my nutshell summary. Feel free to PM me for more of my 2 cents.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
There is a thread some where about this

Luxury Hotels
Bulgari
Ritz-Carlton

Extended Stay
Residence Inn
TownPlace Suites

Hotels
JW Hotels & Resorts
Marriott Hotels & Resorts / Renaissance Hotels & Resorts / Marriott Conference Centers
Courtyard / SpringHill Suites
Fairfield Inn / Fairfield Inn & Suites

TimeShare
Ritz-Carlton Club
Grand Residences by Marriott
Marriott Vacation Club
Horizon's by Marriott

Corporate Apartments
Marriott Executive Apartments
ExecuStay by Marriott
Old May 13, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
I basically agree with Geneva Flyer, but I'd add the following...

Marriott and Renaissance: Similar in facilities and benefits, but Renaissance hotels tend to be a little more "individualistic".

Courtyard: Ostensibly Mid-Priced: Sort of "awkwardly positioned at the moment". The rooms and physical layout can be very nice, but the level of facilities and services doesn't approach the level full service Marriott-branded properties. Unfortunately, however, the room rate often does. Courtyards outside North America tend to be better appointed and offer more services.

Fairfield: Newer ones can be quite similar to Courtyard except for free (mostly "continental") breakfast buffet and lower prices. Most CY restaurants offer a full service cooked-to-order breakfast, but are not open for lunch for dinner.

SHS and Residence Inns: Free breakfast buffet at each. SHS breakfast is similar to what's offered at FI. RI is more extensive. Most...if not all...SHS properties have at least a few suites with two TVs.

TPS: Similar to RI, but suites are less well appointed and breakfast is more "basic". At both TPS and RI, points are earned at 50% of the level of the other brands.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by cyberdad; May 13, 2007 at 7:57 pm Reason: grammar
Old May 13, 2007, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
thanks for all the replies. How does a SHS room compare to a RI room?
Old May 13, 2007, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Originally Posted by psychtobe
thanks for all the replies. How does a SHS room compare to a RI room?
RI's, at least most, have an actual separate bedroom and a full kitchen. SHS rooms usually have a half wall separating the bedroom area and the work space/couch & chair. There is usually one TV that straddles the two rooms and swivels. RI's have two TVs typically. SHS has a larger mini fridge and microwave. Both have free breakfast... I think, as others have said, RIs is a bit more extensive. RI's have apps and drinks in the evening; SHS does not.

I find SHS nicer in general... unless you really want a full kitchen or the evening drinks and snack. The extra space of an RI is a waste to me and you only earn 5 pts/$ compared to 10 for SHS. Just my opinion.

Hope this helps.
Old May 13, 2007, 5:12 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent/MR Gold/ HH Diamond/National/MGM/Amex
This is only important if you travel for a few days at a time, but I have found that the RI has one great perk. You can call ahead and they will stock your fridge with whatever you request. Its always nice to show up and have some food waiting for you. (and yes, you get billed for it, but its grocery store prices).
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Almost 6 years old, but exactly what I was looking for.

I'm giving Marriott a try, and was wondering what the difference was between the various brands. I'm most familiar with Hilton, so I'm curious how the various brands compare to Hilton brands.

Do they have anything comparable to Hilton Garden Inn? Basically, HGI has a combination breakfast buffet / cooked to order breakfast.

So the Fairfield is the lowest end? Similar to a Hampton Inn? And Courtyard is a little step up from there? Do either have a decent breakfast, or are they primarily continental plus egg pucks, like Hampton?

It's kind of funny... I'm already up to 40 nights for the year (15 from the CC, 4 rollover, and 21 from MVC stays) and I haven't stayed at a Marriott hotel for several years. I should be booking half a dozen or more later this year (plus some more timeshare stays), so I'll likely hit 75 nights.

Last edited by MichaelColey; Apr 2, 2013 at 8:27 pm
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by puddy
RI's, at least most, have an actual separate bedroom and a full kitchen. SHS rooms usually have a half wall separating the bedroom area and the work space/couch & chair. There is usually one TV that straddles the two rooms and swivels. RI's have two TVs typically. SHS has a larger mini fridge and microwave. Both have free breakfast... I think, as others have said, RIs is a bit more extensive. RI's have apps and drinks in the evening; SHS does not.

I find SHS nicer in general... unless you really want a full kitchen or the evening drinks and snack. The extra space of an RI is a waste to me and you only earn 5 pts/$ compared to 10 for SHS. Just my opinion.

Hope this helps.
I agree with Puddy. Most SHS do not offer food/drinks at dinner vs. RI and most SHS do not have a freezer compartment, just fridge. But in general I like newer SHS.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichaelColey
Almost 6 years old, but exactly what I was looking for.

I'm giving Marriott a try, and was wondering what the difference was between the various brands. I'm most familiar with Hilton, so I'm curious how the various brands compare to Hilton brands.
Let me try:

JW = Conrad

Renaissance/Marrriott = DoubleTree/Hilton

Courtyard - bistro = HGI - restaurant - microwave/refrigerator in every room

SHS = ?

FI = Hampton - good construction

RI = Homewood

TPS = ?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by u600213
But in general I like newer SHS.
The newer SHS are really cool except I never have a woman or guy flirting with me as the commercials try to say
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:29 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
And Courtyard is a little step up from there? Do either have a decent breakfast, or are they primarily continental plus egg pucks, like Hampton?
No free food a Courtyard. The ones with the "newer" lobby have a starbucks like breakfast bar. If you have lots of time you can get a breakfast (eggs, bacon, toast) but at times it can be a slow and long as coffee shop in the Morning.

In general, Courtyard is the only place you don't get a breakfast.

Marriott and Ren have Lounge with food.
SHS, RI, FI have free breakfast.

(Resorts don't have lounges, No lounge on weekends as some)
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
Originally Posted by wonderbret
This is only important if you travel for a few days at a time, but I have found that the RI has one great perk. You can call ahead and they will stock your fridge with whatever you request. Its always nice to show up and have some food waiting for you. (and yes, you get billed for it, but its grocery store prices).
And alot of RI's also have the managers reception which is very nice!
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by pooker
And alot of RI's also have the managers reception which is very nice!
+1.. went to the one at the Boulder RI last night.. did not need dinner afterwards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.