FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Children in the Conierge Lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/622574-children-conierge-lounge.html)

Sprite Nov 8, 2006 5:55 pm

Has OP ever placed a briefcase on the table? Certainly his briefcase has been on the floor. I certainly wouldn't want my children, staying in their own paid for concierge level room to eat at that table either!

I do relate to the undisciplined children rant. I would have whispered something to the attendant or given the parents "the look." Actually they wouldn't recognize "the look" because it is what good parents give their children (toddler and up) to say - stop immediately-or else. Most children, well raised, are no more a problem than most adults.

psychephylax Nov 8, 2006 6:00 pm

The OP is wrong in assuming that the C-Lounge is for business and that his business meeting has priority over others.

The parents are wrong in not having better control of their child.

However, I will err on siding with the parents on this one since Marriott does not provide babysitting services.

The child's behavior is no different than someone in the lounge having a loud conversation or being on a cell phone.

PTravel Nov 8, 2006 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Sprite
Has OP ever placed a briefcase on the table?

On a table on which people eat? No.

Certainly his briefcase has been on the floor.
Exactly. That's why I don't do it.

I certainly wouldn't want my children, staying in their own paid for concierge level room to eat at that table either!
I don't recall suggesting that they should.

I do relate to the undisciplined children rant. I would have whispered something to the attendant or given the parents "the look."
I would have, but for the fact that I was in trying to have a meeting with a client and it wouldn't have been appropriate.

Actually they wouldn't recognize "the look" because it is what good parents give their children (toddler and up) to say - stop immediately-or else. Most children, well raised, are no more a problem than most adults.
Again, I don't recall suggesting that they're not. I was complaining about a specific family in a specific lounge at a specific time.

DJ_Iceman Nov 8, 2006 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
I would have, but for the fact that I was in trying to have a meeting with a client and it wouldn't have been appropriate.

I obviously don't know what business you're in or the quirks of your client, but I would have thought the most professional thing for you to do would be to politely excuse yourself for a moment to ask the attendant or the parents to either calm the noisy toddler down or take him out of the lounge. If conducting business really was impossible due to this situation, then you accomplished less by simply stewing about it and only complaining to Marriott later.

bitburgr Nov 8, 2006 7:23 pm

According to the little card they give out when checking in:

"We are sure you will enjoy the luxurious accomodations and special services available to you. Due to limited space, only one guest may accompany you to the Concierge Lounge. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Appropriate attire and footwear required."

I know I've only gotten this particular card at this hotel. But it says guests can bring in their kids. This seems like a variation of the "kids in first" threads.

PhillyPhlyer40 Nov 8, 2006 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I obviously don't know what business you're in or the quirks of your client, but I would have thought the most professional thing for you to do would be to politely excuse yourself for a moment to ask the attendant or the parents to either calm the noisy toddler down or take him out of the lounge. If conducting business really was impossible due to this situation, then you accomplished less by simply stewing about it and only complaining to Marriott later.

Or possibly rent a conference room/suite? I wonder if the parents wrote MR a letter complaining about the stiff in the suits talking business when they are trying to relax???

It amazes me how many people have to have meetings in a public place like that to "show the world" how impotant they are, or how much they sell. Unless you are Bill Gates, and I believe he would have a little more class then to conduct a business meeting in a lounge, why dont you keep your business to YOURSELF...the rest of us dont care to have you discussing business rather loudly.

Oh, and watch out for the child seat on the table while the rats run around the kitchen you ate the food from!

PTravel Nov 8, 2006 7:25 pm

I didn't stew about it -- we simply left.

PTravel Nov 8, 2006 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
It amazes me how many people have to have meetings in a public place like that to "show the world" how impotant they are, or how much they sell. Unless you are Bill Gates, and I believe he would have a little more class then to conduct a business meeting in a lounge, why dont you keep your business to YOURSELF...the rest of us dont care to have you discussing business rather loudly.

I assume you're not talking about me. Because we were discussing confidential information, our voices were so low you couldn't have heard us if you were 2 feet away. I don't think I'm important (or impotent -- I'm not sure what point you were trying to make). As for "class," I'll use the facilities of my business class hotel exactly as they are intended to be used. I also have enough class to make decisions about people based on their actual conduct, rather than stereotypical assumptions. For example, I could assume, judging from your post, that you're one of those parents who think their wants and needs trump everyone else, and have no qualms about letting their kids cause disturbances in all sorts of inappropriate venues, who don't care what filthy conduct they engage in, as long as it doesn't inconvenience them, etc. I could make that assumption, but I won't do it, as I have no idea what you do.

Oh, and watch out for the child seat on the table while the rats run around the kitchen you ate the food from!
Kitchen facilities are inspected by local departments of health. I'm far less worried about rats in the kitchen of the Marriott then I am about selfish and thoughtless parents who actively spread filth on eating surfaces without regard for anyone else.

PTravel Nov 8, 2006 7:35 pm

Deleted -- not sure what happened here.

baglady Nov 8, 2006 7:50 pm

While I've conducted some business in the concierge lounge, I don't consider it a meeting room. I've rented meeting rooms any time I felt that I needed to have a true meeting. I don't think I would conduct a meeting with confidential information in the presense of strangers. But I'm a realitively paranoid person :)

I do take my kids to the concierge lounge when they travel with me. Most of the time, they act the way they've been brought up to act - well behaved. But there are times they have not met my level (and I doubt other people's level) of behavior I thought was acceptable and that includes running to the sofa in front of the TV, whining, etc. I try to control it but they aren't perfect kids and I'm not a perfect parent. I do try to maintain a level of decorum that I think should be maintained at a concierge lounge, restaurant, etc.

I'm not sure what the toddler did, but I do agree that parents are responsible for ensuring their children act appropriately. As far as the carrier - if it was an infant car seat; I have seen those on many a restaurant table. I wouldn't do it -but I'm a germ freak in addition to a paranoid person :)

I doubt the lounge attendant would have done anything unless the toddler was doing truly awful things. I will be interested to see what your response is from Marriott.

heffa Nov 8, 2006 8:03 pm

I think it is the responsibility of the concierge lounge attendant to deal with ANY guests who disrupt the pleasant atmosphere that is supposed to exist there. In that regard, I agree with the OP and only wish he had spoken to the attendant on the spot rather than writing an e-mail after the fact.

That was what I also thought? PTravel, if you don't like children playing, why not tell the attendant that immediately instead of sending an child-bashing e-mail later when no one can do anything about it? What's the point? And what kind of response do you actually expect from Marriott from that e-mail?

psychephylax Nov 8, 2006 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
As for "class," I'll use the facilities of my business class hotel exactly as they are intended to be used.

Concierge lounges are found in full service Marriotts, JWs, Marriott Conference Centers, Marriott Suites and Rens...Please show me where those are classified as business class hotels, with probable exception of a Conference Center and even then, it could be in a good location that draws families. The only Marriott brand that they market as "For business people, by business people" is a Courtyard, which does not have a C-Lounge. They also market the TownePlace Suites and one other lower chain I never stay that for business people.

Also, I have yet to see a sign in/around the C-Lounge that states it's for business people only.

foodguy Nov 8, 2006 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by baglady
While I've conducted some business in the concierge lounge, I don't consider it a meeting room. I've rented meeting rooms any time I felt that I needed to have a true meeting. I don't think I would conduct a meeting with confidential information in the presense of strangers. But I'm a realitively paranoid person :)

I do take my kids to the concierge lounge when they travel with me. Most of the time, they act the way they've been brought up to act - well behaved. But there are times they have not met my level (and I doubt other people's level) of behavior I thought was acceptable and that includes running to the sofa in front of the TV, whining, etc. I try to control it but they aren't perfect kids and I'm not a perfect parent. I do try to maintain a level of decorum that I think should be maintained at a concierge lounge, restaurant, etc.

I'm not sure what the toddler did, but I do agree that parents are responsible for ensuring their children act appropriately. As far as the carrier - if it was an infant car seat; I have seen those on many a restaurant table. I wouldn't do it -but I'm a germ freak in addition to a paranoid person :)

I doubt the lounge attendant would have done anything unless the toddler was doing truly awful things. I will be interested to see what your response is from Marriott.

Well said--My kids have been in C-lounges and first class cabins since birth. They know how to act in that environment.
I will hold a casual meeting at best in a c-lounge (particularly during the foodservice times in the morning and evening). If I must hold a more formal or important meeting in a Marriott I will (A) have it in the c lounge between the morning and PM foodservice when there are few if any people to interfere or (B) utilize a conference room, especially if discussing "sensitive stuff"

PTravel Nov 8, 2006 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by heffa
That was what I also thought? PTravel, if you don't like children playing, why not tell the attendant that immediately instead of sending an child-bashing e-mail later when no one can do anything about it? What's the point? And what kind of response do you actually expect from Marriott from that e-mail?

1. I didn't send a "child bashing" email. I didn't "bash children," but complained about rude and inconsiderate hotel guests who created a nuisance in the lounge.

2. I didn't feel it was appropriate to interrupt my conversation with my client.

3. As for the response that I expect from Marriott, none. My only interest was to communicate that, as a guest, I thought Marriott was lacking with respect to the facilities it provided in this regard.

PTravel Nov 8, 2006 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by psychephylax
Concierge lounges are found in full service Marriotts, JWs, Marriott Conference Centers, Marriott Suites and Rens...Please show me where those are classified as business class hotels, with probable exception of a Conference Center and even then, it could be in a good location that draws families. The only Marriott brand that they market as "For business people, by business people" is a Courtyard, which does not have a C-Lounge. They also market the TownePlace Suites and one other lower chain I never stay that for business people.

Also, I have yet to see a sign in/around the C-Lounge that states it's for business people only.

You don't seriously mean to suggest that full-service Marriotts, Marriott Conference Centers and JW Marriotts are designed as family resorts where children shrieking is considered the norm, do you? You don't seriously mean to suggest that the Concierge Lounge is intended as a playroom or daycare center, do you?