Wiki Posts
Search

REN or Marriott ATL airport?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
REN or Marriott ATL airport?

Well I took advantage of the CLT-BGI with o stopover in ATL deal. The REN is $89 and the Marriott is $84. I know both are airport hotels, so no big deal, but anyone with an opinion on this one?
Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:36 pm
gsb

I've never stayed at the Marriott, but I like the Ren. We've stayed there a few times before an early flight. They have some rooms with balconies there that overlook the runways. It smells like jet fuel out there, of course, but it's kind of cool to watch the planes go by.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by gsb
I've never stayed at the Marriott, but I like the Ren. We've stayed there a few times before an early flight. They have some rooms with balconies there that overlook the runways. It smells like jet fuel out there, of course, but it's kind of cool to watch the planes go by.
Ditto, I've always stayed at the Ren
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:09 pm

Never stayed at the Marriott inasmuch as I've always received the proper Plat recognition. (And, have always been assigned a runway-view room.)
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Stayed at both multiple times. Stay at the REN. The rooms are nicer and the lounge is much better. Food is a tad bit more expensive at the REN. The Marriott is a typical airport Marriott and the REN just seems nicer and more open due to the open atrium.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy TE(LT), DL DM(Retired) 1MM, AA EXP
I second the last post. Would go with the REN hands down. Both properties are right on the Airport, which is not in a great part of town. So if you venture outside nearby is not recomended. And the runway views are nice at the REN, a really great vantage point for watching all the world's DL traffic. And very quiet, especially considering you could not get much closer to the runway.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
From the perspective of 6-12 years....

I stayed at both in the nineties. At the time, the Ren was basically an upscale Ramada. Sounds like they've come a long way.

As for the FS Marriott, my last stay was in 2000 when my flight was cancelled due to weather. At the time, it was a standard-issue Marriott Airport hotel. Clean, competent, comfortable, but nothing spectacular.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:40 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by cyberdad

I stayed at both in the nineties. At the time, the Ren was basically an upscale Ramada. Sounds like they've come a long way.
Are you sure it's the same Ren? It's hard to imagine the current structure as resembling a Ramada, even an upscale one. The Ren reminded me of the Stouffers chain, which Renaissance acquired before Renaissance was acquired by Marriott.

By the way, if you're a plat (maybe a gold), an upgrade is possible to the top floor huge suites facing the runways.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat, MR plat
I have stayed at both a couple of times, and although I agree that the REN is better, there is nothing wrong with the FS Marriott either, so not a disaster if you end up there for any reason.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by cyberdad

Originally Posted by ohmark
Are you sure it's the same Ren? It's hard to imagine the current structure as resembling a Ramada, even an upscale one. The Ren reminded me of the Stouffers chain, which Renaissance acquired before Renaissance was acquired by Marriott.

By the way, if you're a plat (maybe a gold), an upgrade is possible to the top floor huge suites facing the runways.

The "Renaissance" name did originate w/Ramada (Ref: Google Image Search results on "Ramada Renaissance"):

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...22&btnG=Search

I may be mistaken but I seem to recollect that what's now flagged as the Ren ATL was opened as the "Stouffer's Concourse Atlanta Airport."
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:23 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Renaissance/Ramada history

Rahmanbar, I think you're right; that the Ren originated as a Stouffer's Concourse. However, according to a Wikipedia article, the Atlanta property would never have had a connection to Ramada. In 1989 "New World" acquired the bulk of the Ramada chain, selling off US rights to the Ramada name to Prime Hospitality. In 1996 New World acquired Stouffer's from Nestle, and folded Stouffers into Renaissance. In 1997 Marriott acquired the Netherland incorporated Renaissance Hotel Group N.V., retaining the Renaissance name, but eventually selling off the Ramada International business to Cendant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Hotels
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rahmanbar
The "Renaissance" name did originate w/Ramada (Ref: Google Image Search results on "Ramada Renaissance"):

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...22&btnG=Search

I may be mistaken but I seem to recollect that what's now flagged as the Ren ATL was opened as the "Stouffer's Concourse Atlanta Airport."
You have it all correctly...thus the evolution of the brands over time
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by HawkSE
I second the last post. Would go with the REN hands down. Both properties are right on the Airport, which is not in a great part of town. So if you venture outside nearby is not recomended. And the runway views are nice at the REN, a really great vantage point for watching all the world's DL traffic. And very quiet, especially considering you could not get much closer to the runway.
Another vote for the Ren Concourse. If you have a room overlooking the runway and are able to be in your room between 1 and 4 p.m., you will be able to see all the large international flights sporting different tails landing.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
Thank you for the replies. The Ren it is then. I am familiar with the area and never had to stay at the airport hotels, just thought I would just to be there for the overnight stopover. I know the bad areas in Atlanta, which are plentiful especially on the south side.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Any current thoughts on which is better/preferable now? We just need a one night stay and enjoy a good breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.