Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Early AM Arrivals- Booking the Previous day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2006, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,

I don't know about most of you, but the last words I want to hear after an overnite trans-Atlantic flight is that the room is not ready... leave your luggage with the bell captain and come back around 2PM.

So I have started booking the room for the night before my early AM arrivals to assure that the room is ready and waiting. I have had some non-chains cut a deal for such arrangement... sometimes only 1/2 price. Does anyone have any experienece with any European Marriotts cutting a discount? And what strategy do you use to assure the room is waiting and that you are not considered a no-show, even with the reservation guaranteed?
Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
I have done this, but not attempted to get a discount.

My suggestion is to notify the hotel in advance that you will be arriving late (or early)

The only time I had a problem, was in Orlando FL. I told them that they had two choices, refund my money or give me a key. The manager gave me the key!
Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Definitely put a note in the reservation that you are arriving in the morning.

If you want a deal, you'll have to talk to the hotel. If they have a "day room rate" you may be able to get that for your first day. I believe they usually run about 75% of the equivalent overnight rate. Not that if you book a day room, it would not count as a stay for the previous night (i.e. no night's credit in Marriott Rewards).

Charles
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Anyone have any recent experience doing this?

I don't expect a "deal" - I just want to book a 7-night stay, say Monday-to-Monday, but arrive Tuesday morning at 8AM and have my room ready. No hassles, surprises, or anything else between me and a hot shower.

I know I can OLCI and perhaps even phone the front desk to talk to a human. I'm just wondering if this works in practice, or if it's something that hotels aren't supposed to do and even if an FDC says "yeah, we'll hold your room", I might not want to risk it...
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by pinniped
Anyone have any recent experience doing this?

I don't expect a "deal" - I just want to book a 7-night stay, say Monday-to-Monday, but arrive Tuesday morning at 8AM and have my room ready. No hassles, surprises, or anything else between me and a hot shower.

I know I can OLCI and perhaps even phone the front desk to talk to a human. I'm just wondering if this works in practice, or if it's something that hotels aren't supposed to do and even if an FDC says "yeah, we'll hold your room", I might not want to risk it...
I have had luck doing this in domestic (US) hotels, but if all seems to depend on the vacancy rate the night before. I've called ahead and been told the hotel is pretty empty the night before so it won't be a problem and I've been told it couldn't be done without purchasing the room for the night before. Usually the hotels have been able to make it work. Asian properties on the other hand are a different story. So many US passengers arrive in the middle of the night, so they would lose revenue if they started allowing early check-ins. The only European property I've asked if the Amsterdam Marriott. They were not able to give us a room in the morning, but we were able to shower and change in the fitness center.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I have had luck doing this in domestic (US) hotels, but if all seems to depend on the vacancy rate the night before. I've called ahead and been told the hotel is pretty empty the night before so it won't be a problem and I've been told it couldn't be done without purchasing the room for the night before. Usually the hotels have been able to make it work. Asian properties on the other hand are a different story. So many US passengers arrive in the middle of the night, so they would lose revenue if they started allowing early check-ins. The only European property I've asked if the Amsterdam Marriott. They were not able to give us a room in the morning, but we were able to shower and change in the fitness center.
I have no problem booking the stay as starting the night before: I'm not expecting any favors/freebies from the hotel. I just don't want them to give away my room or cancel my entire stay. I know there's a process they run in the middle of the night to determine their no-shows: I'm interested in whether there's a reliable/systematic way to avoid getting caught up in that process.

Or, alternatively, if they have a policy of *not* allowing guests to do this.

It would be a Residence Inn in DC where this request is uncommon. But it's definitely possible that the hotel could be sold out, meaning an FDC might be really tempted to give away my room if they get a walk-up at midnight.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by pinniped
I have no problem booking the stay as starting the night before: I'm not expecting any favors/freebies from the hotel. I just don't want them to give away my room or cancel my entire stay. I know there's a process they run in the middle of the night to determine their no-shows: I'm interested in whether there's a reliable/systematic way to avoid getting caught up in that process.

Or, alternatively, if they have a policy of *not* allowing guests to do this.

It would be a Residence Inn in DC where this request is uncommon. But it's definitely possible that the hotel could be sold out, meaning an FDC might be really tempted to give away my room if they get a walk-up at midnight.
If you make sure they know you will be arriving the next morning and are intending to pay for the night before, you shouldn't have a problem. I've done that a couple times, including at least one time where I kept a room in LA because I was on a red-eye and wanted the room in MCO when I arrived early in the morning. I called ahead of time, and that night to make sure the people at the desk knew I was coming. And on the plane I sat next to a guy who was coming back to the US after touring China with a circus for several months, but that's a different story.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Definitely OLCI as soon as the notification then I would call and speak to someone managerial (rooms controller) to have the room blocked and coded while you are on the phone. There is no telling what a FD clerk will do or makeup at anytime, especially alone in the middle of the night.

Perhaps email the rooms controller before the stay, I used to do this when I wanted a specific room reserved for several weeks in a row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.