Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Internet connection problems at FS Marriotts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2006, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond

I've seen problems with the internet service provided at two FS Marriotts that I stay at frequently.

San Antonio NW (which is owned by Columbia Sussex that apparently doesn't care)

and the

Monterey Marriott.

Now of course at the FS Marriott I'm paying for the service and it doesn't work (they credit back to me) but when I go to a RI or FI where the service is free I rarely have a problem.

Instead of getting the fee credited back and points put into my account I'd rather they fix these problems or get an internet provider that can supply the service with some reliability.

And don't even go to 'maybe it's your computer' the GM in SA has admitted they have major problems with their provider.

Just curious if I've luckily picked the wrong properties to visit and if there are any suggestions for getting this fixed (I spend a lot of time in SA). I've already fired off a letter to the SA property owner, no response as of 3 weeks. Tried to leverage my Plat Prem status but after looking into it they say it's up to the owners so maybe send a letter to Marriott Corp HQ.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Based on my experience, it is more likely a problem with the specific properties you are staying at. When I stayed at the Renaissance Orlando Resort at SeaWorld last March, I discovered that their High Speed Internet was running only at double the speed of a dialup modem. I have not had problems with the internet at other full service Marriott hotels in Virginia, Pennsylvania, DC, and California.

I did have trouble at the Renaissance in Long Beach, and I was moved to another room after technical support was unable to resolve the problem. The internet was fine in the new room. You should write to Marriott's corporate HQ and consider other properties to stay at for now.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:43 am

Programs: AA LT plat; Delta Gold; Marriott LT titanium; Hilton Silver
A few months ago I stayed at the Marriott Copley in Boston. Internet worked fine the first day but day 2 I had to call tech support and work through a bunch of settings on my laptop to connect. Why it worked day one and not day two I haven't a clue.

FWIW, I stayed at the Mirage in Las Vegas a few months ago. What a great system. You go on the TV in the menu to an Internet signup page. You read the rules and agree on the TV that the $10 a day will be charged to your room. Then it gives you a code. Connect the laptop and you get a Mirage home page - enter the code from the TV and off you go. It worked flawlessly for the balance of my stay. Simple and effective. Hey Marriott - anybody listening?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM,Marriott Plat
For several weeks running in December the Marriott Long Beach had constant problems with Internet outages. After the second week of iffy service I had a talk with the manager and pointed out that I didn't think someone was adequately communicating to the ISP the frequency of the problem. Might have been coincidence, but shortly after that the problems were resolved and the service has been working fine ever since.

As a side note, rooms on the concierge level now have free internet access. Not sure if this is on purpose or an accident, so I'm not about to inquire at the front desk if this is a new benefit.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
The only place I have had trouble at is the Courtyard Downtown in San Francisco. I had to call up and spend an 1 hour on the phone with tech support to get it working. It worked the next day, and then the day after didn't work again. I spent another hour on the phone to get it working.

I haven't had trouble at the FS sites.

As others have said, think about staying somewhere else. There are lots of Marriotts in the San Antonio area. I've stayed at both the River Center, the Marriott Plaza and the Residence Inn. All of them were very nice and centrally located.

Greg
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
The Marriott in Omaha, Nebraska has notoriously poor high speed internet service. I've been there 3 times in the past 2 months, and I cannot get through at peak times in the evening.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Starwood Plat, United 1K
I could not connect at the Courtyard in Tempe, AZ. After troubleshooting the issue with the tech support person for over an hour, she ultimately said she thought the problem was with the property. She said she would contact the front desk to troubleshoot some more. After getting off the phone, it sounded like it was going to take a long time.

After calling the front desk, they brought up a new modem. That didn't work, called the front desk again, and they gave me another room right across the hall and everything worked fine.

It took almost two hours to get this resolved.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
As others have said, think about staying somewhere else. There are lots of Marriotts in the San Antonio area. I've stayed at both the River Center, the Marriott Plaza and the Residence Inn. All of them were very nice and centrally located.

Greg
Oh, I know where all the properties are, I also know that downtown it costs me $15/day to park, muchless the zoo that the riverwalk is most of the time.

Besides, I'm not going down town so it's not centrally located for me.

Really shouldn't be forced to pick the property based upon whether their internet service works.

So I think letter to the HQ is a given. Probably start making them switch my rooms to see if it is room specific. In truth I believe it's 'Tut Communications' service, as it usually goes out from 7pm to 8:30pm, usually works fine outside of that time frame.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by deac83
...muchless the zoo that the riverwalk is most of the time.
Yeah, the Riverwalk gets pretty old pretty fast.

Best of luck with getting your issue resolved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.