Comped Status & Bonus Points

Old Nov 10, 05, 1:15 pm
formerly sirgolf82
Original Poster

Comped Status & Bonus Points

Hi all,

I am thinking of switching allegiances, and I have obtained MR Gold as a comp to my SPG Plat, as of today.

I began this week's stay on last Sunday the 6th. When I checked in, I was a regular member. Am I eligible for the Gold bonus points on this stay?
Old Nov 10, 05, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sirgolf82
Hi all,

I am thinking of switching allegiances, and I have obtained MR Gold as a comp to my SPG Plat, as of today.

I began this week's stay on last Sunday the 6th. When I checked in, I was a regular member. Am I eligible for the Gold bonus points on this stay?
THANK YOU for posting your post. Why? Cause I had called MR twice this past week, Im a Silver which is nothing with usually close to 30 nights usually at 1 Renaissance. I never bothered with trying for a comp or upgrade in status as I knew that I wasnt going to do the 50 needed for Gold, and The Ren I stay at is a basic one with no extra benefits even if a Plat.

Well this yr Im at 40 nights with another 10 already with reservations at JWs or Full Marriotts. So I tried for the comp to Gold as I would be able to benefit from it. I was turned down as I said Twice, even telling them Ive been HH Diamond for yrs as well as SPG Plat. Once I read your post I said thats it, I want to speak with a supervisor and not the person who answers the phone, easier said then done. Became alittle short with the Rep but did get a sup on the line. He was too kind, he saw the acct and that Id be Gold by mid-Dec and said he had no problem upgrading me to Gold, but he wanted me to move more of my Biz their way and said he gones do 1 better and make me Plat. I told him doing 50 nights next yr is no prob as I already had 26 nights booked ,but I couldnt guarantee him Id do the 75 as he asked. He said thanks for being truthful and hopefully I will, otherwise Ill be a Gold in '07 but Im still gonna make you a Plat.

Had you not posted your post I never would have gone for Strike 3, I was also thinking about moving 8 of the next 10 nights to other Chains, but now will keep the res as they are with Marriot so although they dont know it they already are gonna benefit. I still would have gotten the other 8 needed for Gold but instead of paying $175+ a night, I would have done it at FI or CY for under $70 a night.
Old Nov 10, 05, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by sirgolf82
Hi all,

The way I understand it is this: When your hotel stay posts to your account, the elite status you have before it posts governs the bonus you get. If you are already gold, you should get the 25% bonus.

OTOH, if you weren't gold, and that stay had enough nights to make you gold, when it posted, you would start getting gold bonuses for stays after the one that upgraded you to gold.
Old Nov 10, 05, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by craz
THANK YOU for posting your post. Why? Cause I had called MR twice this past week, Im a Silver which is nothing with usually close to 30 nights usually at 1 Renaissance. I never bothered with trying for a comp or upgrade in status as I knew that I wasnt going to do the 50 needed for Gold, and The Ren I stay at is a basic one with no extra benefits even if a Plat.
Well, maybe my opinion will not be popular.

But every time I read about someone getting a complimentary or matched upgrade to an elite status I want to rip my hair out at the roots.

What is the purpose of having goals to achieve if MR gives out the elite levels like party favors to people who haven't spent the time required like everyone else (i.e. who haven't yet shown their loyalty to the program . . . it is a customer loyalty marketing program)?

(Yes, that was a rhetorical question.)

There is nothing like arriving at a hotel to find a "stayed one night ever before at Marriott" plat elite member ahead of you.

There should be some other kind of reward to entice people to switch programs, but it should not be freebie upgrades to elite levels.
Old Nov 11, 05, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A Traveller
Well, maybe my opinion will not be popular.

But every time I read about someone getting a complimentary or matched upgrade to an elite status I want to rip my hair out at the roots.

What is the purpose of having goals to achieve if MR gives out the elite levels like party favors to people who haven't spent the time required like everyone else (i.e. who haven't yet shown their loyalty to the program . . . it is a customer loyalty marketing program)?

(Yes, that was a rhetorical question.)

There is nothing like arriving at a hotel to find a "stayed one night ever before at Marriott" plat elite member ahead of you.

There should be some other kind of reward to entice people to switch programs, but it should not be freebie upgrades to elite levels.

I dont disagree with you!! I wanted a comp to Gold only for Late check-out and Lounge entrance. I have 40 nights already with another 10 already booked, so I was gonna make it,only w/o being able to have the Breakfasts. The guy made me a Plat since he saw how I was staying with them and was hoping that Id give M more of my Biz that I give to HH or SPG. I told him doing the 50 is no prob as I already have 26 booked for '06, but I doubted Id make 75. He said enjoy it anyway.

I NEVER asked for Plat even thou Im Diamond @ HH, and Plat @ SPG , since I didnt think I will maintain it and cause I didnt think any prog would give their top Status away. I didnt see much harm if they gave me Gold 1 month earlier then I would have earned it. When I was denied I said Thank You for having asked a Supervisor and wasnt mad or anything. I did go look at HH or SPG in 2 of the next 3 trips to see if I should move the stays to them, and instead get the nights needed for Gold at elcheapo CY or FI weekends for around $60 a night. When it was going to cost me $200 a night at the places I was already booked at. Once I read this threda and calle dup and got Plat even thou ALL I requested was Gold, I kept everything as is, although I could have saved some $$$ doing it the other way
Old Nov 11, 05, 9:50 am

Marriott's elite levels just aren't competitive.

I'm SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat, and only MR Silver with 30 nights YTD. If the MR folks can't realize their elite levels are not competitive with the other programs, then all the nights I give to the other 3 major brands are Marriott's loss. It's a no brainer. MR Gold isn't much better than MR Silver anyway, and I hate to call for a comp, preferring my business to speak for itself. Also, Hilton Brands and Starwood Brands are much nicer than RI, CY & SH & FI. Most of my stays at Marriott's economy brands are underwhelming compared to equivalent brands at other chains, including HI Express! Let Marriott keep their Gold, I don't need it.
Old Nov 12, 05, 8:39 am
In Memoriam

You took the words out of my mouth!!

Originally Posted by NJ Traveler
Marriott's elite levels just aren't competitive.

I'm SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat, and only MR Silver with 30 nights YTD. If the MR folks can't realize their elite levels are not competitive with the other programs, then all the nights I give to the other 3 major brands are Marriott's loss. It's a no brainer. MR Gold isn't much better than MR Silver anyway, and I hate to call for a comp, preferring my business to speak for itself. Also, Hilton Brands and Starwood Brands are much nicer than RI, CY & SH & FI. Most of my stays at Marriott's economy brands are underwhelming compared to equivalent brands at other chains, including HI Express! Let Marriott keep their Gold, I don't need it.
Thank you. I couldn't have said this better. I am continuing with stays at Marriott right now because of the VISA double points offer otherwise I'd be gone. The chasm between Silver and Gold is just too big and not worth it. My business trips are usually short, so I have lots of stays but not so many nights, so a program with stay vs. night credit would suit me better. For 50 nights, I probably have to make the decision to choose Marriott over Hilton or Starwood about 40 times a year.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: