Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville - comments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante

Not many comments on this hotel, other than what appears to be a pretty good upgrade track record.

Any recent experiences? We're thinking of staying there when we're in Toronto in early December.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by snorkmaster
Not many comments on this hotel, other than what appears to be a pretty good upgrade track record.

Any recent experiences? We're thinking of staying there when we're in Toronto in early December.
I'm also thinking of staying here (this one comes up quite often now on priceline). Does anyone have any feedback on this place? (I'm from Toronto so I know the area, but the reviews on tripadvisor are pretty mixed. Since FT users are a bit more savvy I thought I would turn to you for advice...)
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:05 am

Marriott Yorkville

Stayed there earlier this year...

The location of the hotel very central. It is on the subway line so if you want to go to Blue Jays game, CN Tower, Centre Island, Olympic Spirit etc... all are no more than 4-5 stops away. If Gucci, Cartier, Louis Vuitton, Prada etc.. is more your style they are down the street. If you want a better location for sightseeing by foot I would select Eaton Centre Location (They also have a fitness centre and pool).

You want to DEMAND a SOUTH city view room as the hotel's other rooms are very dark and have very little light. The hotel only occupies about 7 floors as the rest of bulding is private rental units. (I am Platinum and they gave me a dark, depressing room I called and had them change me to a south view room)

Executive Lounge is good size. Not opened on weekends.

Restaurant Matisse is rather small and breakfast is either buffet (not a great selection) or a'la carte.

Very small check-in desk two staff max. Usually only one person avail.

Over-all the hotel is good but not great. 6/10

Hope this helps.

Last edited by imverge; Jul 11, 2005 at 9:09 am
Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT (1MM), MR Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I just wanted to bring this thread forward, since it's been a few years since anyone's posted anything on this property (Bloor-Yorkville).

I stayed here for one night a while back, and have a vague recollection that they had rooms facing a courtyard - which were, indeed, dark.

Does anyone have any new information? I'd prefer to stay in this neighborhood, but open to suggestions and advice on what to ask for!
Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:51 pm

Well since my last stay the hotel has "freshened up" with updated bathrooms, bedding and furniture. Oh they also have a new sign on the building which makes it easier to find. I would still request a south facing room. The rooms are on the large size and they have great multi-level suites.

The nearest Marriott property would be The Courtyard about 6 blocks south on Yonge St. (10min walk) They completed a renovation recently and the rooms are actually really nice for a CY. The location is also very good as it's walking distance to most attractions. Plus you get FREE in-room internet.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:26 pm

stay there several times, very small hotel
I think Marriott at Yonge is better
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Checked out this morning...this hotel is fine but no real highs or lows. The CL has plentiful breakfasts and snacks and desserts in the evening, the Matisse Restaurant/Bar is small but adequate. I have stayed several times in "garden suites" - bedroom and living room with French doors between, bar fridge, walk-in closet and upgraded bathroom. I always find the rooms stuffy because the windows don't open even a crack. I have never seen a multi-level suite as someone mentioned above.

For someone visiting Toronto, a good feature is that the hotel is connected internally to the subway so that coats and boots aren't necessary if the place you're going is also on the subway line. Shopping, as Imverge says, is everywhere close. Also, Yorkville is just around the corner with many good bars and restaurants.

I'd stay at the Bloor Yorkville again - but if I had the choice, I'd probably opt for the Eaton Centre.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Just checked in here for 10 nights.. meh.

Check-in was ok.. guy was friendly. Status recognized. No upgrade. No high floor as requested (room is on 4th). Given breakfast coupons for 2 upcoming weekends.

Room is blah.. desk chair looks like original hotel furniture from build, about to fall apart.. TV.. one of the worst TV/Picture I've ever seen in a hotel. No robe, slippers, mouthwash.

Requested fridge, was in room upon arrival.

Elevators are terrible.. door won't shut on one of them until the alarm goes off and forces it to shut... the windows need washing, bad.

If I didn't get a good LNF rate, I'd be looking further. :/

Ron.

Updated with a couple pics...

Window:

Chair:

TV:

Last edited by newfbc; Jun 20, 2008 at 6:41 pm
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:52 pm

As you probably have discovered, the hotel only has 6 floors...

Wow that room looks horrible. As I mentioned on my post back in 2005 you have to DEMAND a south facing view otherwise you are looking out to what looks like a prison yard.

I'm sorry, but I would call the front desk and let them know that room will not do.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 8:40 pm

After the refurb I'd say the Bloor Marriott is now better than Eaton Centre due to the Revive bedding in all rooms, while the Eaton Centre is still converting. Don't like the Bloor restaurant but there are plenty around in the area. For an in-hotel restaurant I prefer the JW Steakhouse at Eaton Centre Marriott. At Bloor there are some pretty long walks to some rooms from the elevators.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 8:54 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by imverge
As you probably have discovered, the hotel only has 6 floors...

Wow that room looks horrible. As I mentioned on my post back in 2005 you have to DEMAND a south facing view otherwise you are looking out to what looks like a prison yard.

I'm sorry, but I would call the front desk and let them know that room will not do.

I think the hotel is pretty sold out at this point.. don't know if there's much they can do.. but.. I made my reservation on 15 APR, and checked in fairly early today..

Maybe they're deciding to 'throw' the LNF people in the nasty part of the hotel?

Ron.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Stayed here last week. Usually I stay at the Courtyard, but given that the price difference was less than $20, I decided to try the Bloor location.

It was okay, but nothing special.

The room interior was fine. Revive bedding. Flat screen with many choices of channels. Bathroom was nice, with good heat and water pressure. A couple of nice arm chairs to sit in when watching the tube.

Having not read this thread before hand, I didn't ask for a south facing room, and got the view into the inner courtyard, which allows in some light but is otherwise grim.

Only 6 floors in the hotel, running from floors 6 to 11 (though labelled as 1 through 6). I love a high floor, so was disappointed to learn that the hotel is so low in the building.

Lounge is decent. Breakfast was hot scrambled eggs, cold meats and cheese, bread and bagels with spreads and toaster, cereals and fruits. Coffee and tea. stocked fridge with sodas and water. Evening was a hot app, cold apps and salads and honour bar. Two computers for use with attached printer. Lounge was never very busy, which is nice after seeing some lounges overpacked.

Staff was friendly, but not super attentive.

Location is very good on the corner of two subway lines. Yorkville offers shopping and fancy restaurants, with cheaper options on offer down Yonge.

Pros are location, nice bedding and spacious and not too busy lounge. Cons were limited views (even a south view wouldn't allow you to see much due to the low floors of the hotel) and limited lounge offerings.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:04 am
Suspended

Trying to decide between this location and Eaton Center -- Comments requested as this hotel does not seem to be mentioned much in the threads.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum, Mileage Plus Silver
I stay at both hotels 4-5 times a year. The service at both hotels is quite good especially in the lounge if you have access. Both have pros and cons; rooms are standard and often it comes down to which part of town I need to be in for work. Bloor Yorkville is better on cold days when you don't have to go outside to get to the subway and is a smaller hotel so not as busy usually. Eaton Centre has the full buffet breakfast from the restaurant for Golds and Plats, has the better gym and is very convenient to shopping, although Yorkville has excellent shopping too as long as you have a nice warm day outside. I'd give a slight edge to Eaton Centre though. Only con I have for EC is that the walls in the rooms are pretty thin.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JamboAddick
I stay at both hotels 4-5 times a year. The service at both hotels is quite good especially in the lounge if you have access. Both have pros and cons; rooms are standard and often it comes down to which part of town I need to be in for work. Bloor Yorkville is better on cold days when you don't have to go outside to get to the subway and is a smaller hotel so not as busy usually. Eaton Centre has the full buffet breakfast from the restaurant for Golds and Plats, has the better gym and is very convenient to shopping, although Yorkville has excellent shopping too as long as you have a nice warm day outside. I'd give a slight edge to Eaton Centre though. Only con I have for EC is that the walls in the rooms are pretty thin.
Thanks, Jambo!

I will be there on a weekend and have read that no breakfast on weekends at the EC, altho Bloor does appear to provide same. Do you know if this is accurate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.