Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chris/Socrates -- Reward Code 086 Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chris/Socrates -- Reward Code 086 Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2004, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: -- DL DM, MR Lifetime TE, HH Diamond, National Something???
Question Chris/Socrates -- Reward Code 086 Question

Chris or Socrates

I am seeking an answer to the following issue. If I do not fully explain the situation, please let me know as to tell you the truth, I am not even sure of the situation…laughing.

I called the PLT reservation number this evening to reserve two rooms for three nights at the Chancery Court in London. I have a MR code 086 certificate, which as you know is good for one (1) guest room for seven (7) nights at any category six (6) hotel. I was aware that the certificate would only cover one room and that I would lose the other four (4) nights associated with the certificate. The second room I was going to use MR points to cover the three (3) nights. That total number of MR points would be 78,000.

The Marriott representative suggested that I return the Reward Code 086 certificate to the offices in Salt Lake City and request that the points deposited into my MR account. She indicated that 230,000 MR points would be deposited into the account. Then, I could use 156,000 points to cover the two (2) rooms for three (3) evenings each. She indicated that this would save me a number of MR points. I was concerned since I have already received the Northwest FF miles that went along with the certificate, I could not have the 086 certificate deposited back into my MR account.

So, I guess my question is whether or not she is correct and I just need to return the certificate with a copy of my MR card and a letter requesting the miles be placed back into my MR account. Then, I can use the 156,000 MR points to cover both rooms.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions to the issue?

Thanks

Lane
Old Nov 17, 2004, 6:40 am

Programs: Ex Marriot Platinum, CO Gold
I'd definitely like to know the answer to this as I'm planning on getting one of these vacation packages with no clear date set yet as to when I want to travel.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:12 am

Since you can't return the 100,000 miles, I don't believe they would recredit the full amount of points. I would try calling the hotel to see if they would take one 7-night award instead of two 3-night awards -- maybe they would bend the rules for a Platinum.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Since you can't return the 100,000 miles, I don't believe they would recredit the full amount of points. I would try calling the hotel to see if they would take one 7-night award instead of two 3-night awards -- maybe they would bend the rules for a Platinum.
I tried doing that with both the hotel and Marriott Rewards Reservations, but it is clear that this cannot be done.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:39 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
I didn't want to answer this since you asked Chris, but I feel you were given erroneous information originally.

Once the miles have transferred, that package cannot be returned for credit. The part that doesn't make sense is a Cat 1-5 + 120K miles is 230K points and a Cat 6 + 120K points is 250K miles. Those hotel award stay portions can be returned for 45K points or 50K points respectively, but that's not enough to help you.

Unfortunately, you'll have to waste the last four days of that certificate, and cough up the points for the other stay or pay for the other room.

Billy
Old Nov 17, 2004, 2:23 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Lane412000,

First of all I would like to apologize for any misinformation you may have been given originally.

Delta3MM is correct. If you return the hotel portion of a 086 travel package you are only entitled to a portion of the points (in this case 50k). Depending on how many points you have in your rewards account, I do have two suggestions.

Two 3 night rewards (036's) would cost you 156k points. However, if you order the UK/Ireland Sampler Reward (564) you would receive one 3 night reward and two 2 night rewards for 150k points. That way you could use the 3 night reward for one room and put the additional 4 nights together to get the second room.

You could also just keep the travel package reward and use 78k points or pay for the second room. Again, it just depends on your balance and what you prefer to do.

Whatever you decide, I would recommend contacting Marriott Guest Services at the toll free elite line located on the back of your membership card.

Sincerely,

Chris
Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Delta3MM and Chris.........thanks for the responses and Chris, thanks for your options for me to review. Last night, I kept telling the lady I thought she was incorrect, but I am never right on anything, so was wishing this was going to be on par with the usual. Of all times for me to be correct...laughing.

I will probably just lose the 4 extra nights and also use 78,000 MR points for the other room. Too much trouble to return the certificate and wait for MR points to post to my account.

Again, thanks for the responses to my question.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat, MR Gold, US Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SW same as everyone else!
another option...

MR told me that even though the certificates have a one year expiration they will extend them as long as you call and ask before the expiration date.

Therefore another option for you would be to cash in for the reward you need and save the 7 night voucher for when you can use it.

Hersh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.