Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SpringHill Suites Vs Residence Inn - what's so difference?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SpringHill Suites Vs Residence Inn - what's so difference?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JBord
I may be wrong, but it feels like a number of posters here experience a CY, for example, that's above the minimum, and then are disappointed that all the other CY aren't the same. I know it's not a perfect example, but a handful of CY's have concierge lounges. That's a nice add when I book a CY, not an expectation. I'm not upset about the CY with a lounge just because it's inconsistent.
I'm frankly not sure what the minimum at a CY is, as I feel like all the CYs I have stayed at this year are below what a hypothetical minimum should be
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Are you trying to compare Asian CYs with typical North American ones by any chance?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Are you trying to compare Asian CYs with typical North American ones by any chance?
Noooooo not at all - only US ones.

Very clear the quality gap narrows between the levels as one goes to Asia.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Except for the new build RIs that share a building with an SHS. Then they will both have the same in-wall system.

Marriott could/should ditch like half of these brands. TPS and FI could go away and who would notice?
I assume you mean convert these hotels to other brands, not have them disappear from the Marriott family, correct? There are over 1,400 total Fairfield and Towneplaces, so a lot of people would certainly notice if the latter.

I do think there are differences between these brands as a whole that I don’t think it would be easy to combine any, particularly Fairfield and SHS. I could maybe see converting TPS to Residence Inn, but they’d have to up the quality of many of them. Without knowing too much about the SPG brands, I’d imagine they’d present more opportunity to merge brands than the pre-existing Marriott brands.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoPhils
Without knowing too much about the SPG brands, I’d imagine they’d present more opportunity to merge brands than the pre-existing Marriott brands.

There are fewer of them (12 vs. 18) and IMO they already had more distinct / unique positionings relative to a number of the Marriott brands.

Tribute would have been an easy fold-in to Autograph but they decided to keep them separate as they said Tribute was a 1/2 notch lower (which IMO is silly).

Sheraton has good equity internationally (despite being weak in the US) so can't just get rid of that. Nobody likes Four Points, but then you'd have to find a home for those properties. I think they just like the sound of 30 brands vs. 28 or 29.

But back to SHS vs. TPS vs. RI vs. FI...if we are discussing about one having a microwave vs. another not, or one having a full size fridge vs. a half size one...those are tactical differences, versus having truly distinct identities.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Except for the new build RIs that share a building with an SHS. Then they will both have the same in-wall system.

Marriott could/should ditch like half of these brands. TPS and FI could go away and who would notice?
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

There are fewer of them (12 vs. 18) and IMO they already had more distinct / unique positionings relative to a number of the Marriott brands.

Tribute would have been an easy fold-in to Autograph but they decided to keep them separate as they said Tribute was a 1/2 notch lower (which IMO is silly).

Sheraton has good equity internationally (despite being weak in the US) so can't just get rid of that. Nobody likes Four Points, but then you'd have to find a home for those properties. I think they just like the sound of 30 brands vs. 28 or 29.

But back to SHS vs. TPS vs. RI vs. FI...if we are discussing about one having a microwave vs. another not, or one having a full size fridge vs. a half size one...those are tactical differences, versus having truly distinct identities.
A lot of people don’t like Fairfield either...could Four Points become Fairfield?

SHS to FI isn’t a stark contrast, but as mentioned SHS does typically have a totally different room layout.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by GoPhils

A lot of people don’t like Fairfield either...could Four Points become Fairfield?

SHS to FI isn’t a stark contrast, but as mentioned SHS does typically have a totally different room layout.
Four Points is closer to Courtyard due to bistro/bar/restaurant standards. Benefit is that the least loved brand from both legacy programs would merge and become the one universally disliked brand! Something the Marriott and SPG forum regulars could finally agree upon.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
It is clear you have not set foot in these brands. RI is like an apartment, maybe a studio sometimes, with a complete walk-in functioning kitchen. SHS has a little shelf in the room with a sink, a small fridge below and a microwave above. There is an entire room difference, not to mention one is like an apartment and the other is like a hotel room. One has amenities expected in an apartment, like multiple closets, lots of storage, real dishes. Someone in need of a long stay option would choose an RI. These are as different as concepts could be. Anyone claiming these hotels are similar is foolish because those of us who have actually been in these hotels know the rooms are very, very different. Not little architectural differences, but concept differences.

Do you really not understand the difference between a hotel room with a microwave and an apartment with a full kitchen? The rest of the world does.

Starwood, with its limited offerings and footprint, did not have any brand like RI or TPS, which competes with other hotel/residences like Candlewood Suites, Home2 Suites and Suburban Suites. SHS does not compete in that category. Anyone looking for that type of hotel would be disappointed by a SHS because it is not that type of hotel. Why would Marriott want to mislead guests by moving SHS into the wrong category?

Last edited by CJKatl; Aug 11, 2018 at 8:12 am
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
It is clear you have not set foot in these brands. RI is like an apartment, maybe a studio sometimes, with a complete walk-in functioning kitchen. SHS has a little shelf in the room with a sink, a small fridge below and a microwave above. There is an entire room difference, not to mention one is like an apartment and the other is like a hotel room. One has amenities expected in an apartment, like multiple closets, lots of storage, real dishes. Someone in need of a long stay option would choose an RI. These are as different as concepts could be. Anyone claiming these hotels are similar is foolish because those of us who have actually been in these hotels know the rooms are very, very different. Not little architectural differences, but concept differences.

Do you really not understand the difference between a hotel room with a microwave and an apartment with a full kitchen? The rest of the world does.

Starwood, with its limited offerings and footprint, did not have any brand like RI or TPS, which competes with other hotel/residences like Candlewood Suites, Home2 Suites and Suburban Suites. SHS does not compete in that category. Anyone looking for that type of hotel would be disappointed by a SHS because it is not that type of hotel. Why would Marriott want to mislead guests by moving SHS into the wrong category?
Please quote my post where I said they should all be consolidated down to a single brand with a single positioning. SMH.

BTW you help make my point for me when you describe Residence Inn being really more of a apartment / multi-room Suite property, and SHS is really more of an oversized single room Inn property
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

I would say Element compares with RI and TPS.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:22 am

Please quote my post where I said they should all be consolidated down to a single brand with a single positioning. SMH.
I quoted where you poo-pooed the differences a couple posts up. It remains clear you are unfamiliar with the brands.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I would say Element compares with RI and TPS.
Yes. They are all extended stay hotels where SHS is not. Extended stay hotels are their own market and attract different guests than a regular or all-suites mid-market hotel. Why would anyone think hotels in different market segments are similar?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
The differences are between a full kitchen with pots, pans and kitchen table “apartment” (RI and TPS) versus a microwave/mini fridge standard hotel room (FI) versus wet bar in room & restaurant/bar in lobby (SHS).

These brands appeal to very different demographics and travel patterns. Very different identities with the exception of RI/TPS where it may be more tactical (think bare bones apartment complex vs one with a pool/basketball court/BBQ area and fire pit).
ryw likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I quoted where you poo-pooed the differences a couple posts up. It remains clear you are unfamiliar with the brands.
Never said I was intimately familiar with them, but decisions based on limited information & initial impressions is the definition of behavioral economics in action...and again you miss the bigger point. Lack of distinct identities w/too much overlap. Naming that is at odds w/the physical hardware (SHS aren't really "suites", they are oversized rooms / Jr. suites; RI seems to be more actual suite driven but that's also not part of the nomenclature). And an Inn as the older sibling of a Suites and a Suites that's an older sibling of an Inn...ergo confusion.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:44 pm

RI seems to be more actual suite driven ...
Says someone who knows nothing about the brands. RI is an extended stay hotel, SHS is a mid-market hotel. These are very different categories. This is a very simple concept. While there might be an argument that RI and TPS are similar, the same cannot remotely be said about an extended stay hotel and a mid-market hotel.

Your assertion shows there are a few posters who are so anxious to show Marriott is wrong they will say anything, no matter how baseless, silly or removed from reality. Once again it is not Marriott that looks bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.