Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond, SPG Gold
do stays in SPG hotels now gets the night credited to Marriott or SPG still?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:35 am
Company Representative, Marriott Rewards
Original Poster

On August 18, 2018, we began the process of updating our systems to launch our new loyalty program. Currently, we are working to solve a few known account issues impacting some of our members. Please check status.marriott.com regularly for further updates. We thank you for your patience during this time.

Best regards,

Marriott Rewards Insider
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Originally Posted by yurtripper
There's ongoing discussion in another thread about this issue: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...reads-184.html

Quite a few people seem to have been given Platinum where they expected PP status; conversely, there are numerous reports of people who expected to be on Gold but have been upped to Platinum.

Hopefully this will get cleared up soon, well at least for those who have been downgraded. I guess the people with unexpected upgrades will be happy for things to stay as they are!
I'm in the same boat, I have legacy Marriott Platinum Status that I earned via the taste of platinum challenge...and on the site and the app it says I have platinum status instead of PP.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kt85
do stays in SPG hotels now gets the night credited to Marriott or SPG still?
It will depend which account your booked the stay. Until the accounts are combined, you will have two separate accounts. But you can book any of the 29 brands on either account.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:48 am

My Marriott account shows me at 69 nights, which is my old Marriott balance. My SPG account (linked before 18th) was at 8 nights.
Last week I stayed 3 nights at Marriott (not yet credited), this week till Thursday I'll stay another 3 nights.

But coming Saturday, I'll start an extended stay at a Marriott property. Is it likely that by then I'll get the Platinum Premier Elite level?
For the Marritt-only nights, it seems to short as the stay this week probably won't get credited in time. But are there any news on when the SPG nights will get applied?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by matt85
My Marriott account shows me at 69 nights, which is my old Marriott balance. My SPG account (linked before 18th) was at 8 nights.
Last week I stayed 3 nights at Marriott (not yet credited), this week till Thursday I'll stay another 3 nights.

But coming Saturday, I'll start an extended stay at a Marriott property. Is it likely that by then I'll get the Platinum Premier Elite level?
For the Marritt-only nights, it seems to short as the stay this week probably won't get credited in time. But are there any news on when the SPG nights will get applied?

Thanks!
YOU must combine your accounts. Once they get everything settled out would be the time to do that. Some have reported it was done for them, but won't be surprised if that's reversed.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
YOU must combine your accounts. Once they get everything settled out would be the time to do that. Some have reported it was done for them, but won't be surprised if that's reversed.
Thanks, that makes sense. I read they plan on a rolling rollout for that feature.
For the ones that already got it, is there any information on how the combination works? I don't know where to check if I already have that feature.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matt85
Thanks, that makes sense. I read they plan on a rolling rollout for that feature.
For the ones that already got it, is there any information on how the combination works? I don't know where to check if I already have that feature.
Story is they will send an email with the directions. Some have reported going through the link showing online. I don't think that is wise until they get the site stabilized. I have a pretty high risk tolerance, but that's too risky in my book!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by beachfan
Looks like the reservations Iheld but didn't attach e-cert for were repriced.
Mine's showing that as well. I'm giving it a bit of time to get sorted. Previously when MAR changed categories annually, if you made the reservation (even w/o cert attached) before the category change date the prior (in my case lower - 180K vs 240K) points required were honored - but IIRC the cert had to be done manually by customer service. I'd expect that to still be the case & will be quite irritated if it isn't. Since my award trip isn't for a while, I'm not contacting CS right now because I figure they're dealing w/ a lot more things at the moment.

Cheers
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I've got a better wager: Betcha that outage won't end up being fully resolved before Monday morning 8/20 at the earliest
Shoulda put money down; I (still) have no SPG points, stays nor history on either website

Shows up on the mobile app however, along with my new SPG number- and if I try to use that new # to log into SPG, I get redirected to my current MR account (yet no SPG history).
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
How are you folks seeing your SPG account balances? I can't login to the Starwood.com site.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Huh- SPG numeric "SET" codes get remapped into MR 3-Alpha corporate codes automatically. Cool
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
I've had no problem signing into SPG, Marriott, or Ritz Carlton. Everything looks right, too. Not sure if I'm supposed to be Platinum, but not going to complain. Just afraid to combine accounts, because I might get downgraded.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
No problem signing in on each of the two Apps but as someone else reported, choosing "Full Site" from the SPG App takes you to your Marriott account. The "Combine Accounts" functionality is still greyed out as "Coming Soon". The full site is still headlined "New loyalty benefits are on the way! Until then you may experience a temporary disruption etc. etc." Working in IT and having project managed a few upgrades in my time I'd suggest they didn't spend enough time on testing - probably let the preannounced deadline force them to cut corners and now they're paying for it
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by braiden9
Can I now book SPG rooms through my Marriott account? It almost works however on marriott.com when I click on a room rate it redirects to the main page. On the mobile app it is advising the hotels doesn't take amex and when I try to add a new card the card type box is empty so I can't proceed!
On some websites, if you leave the card type blank and just proceed to enter the card number, AmEx cards will be recognized. I had a similar situation recently, not involving Starriott, where the merchant advertised that AmEx was accepted, but AmEx wasn't listed as a choice in the drop down menu. I was told to leave card type blank, enter the number, and it worked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.