Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I have a stay this weekend and have a feeling that my points won't post for some time
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JHake10
I have a stay this weekend and have a feeling that my points won't post for some time
Can't say the feeling should be wrong. Protect yourself and get a folio upon check out and KEEP IT SAFE. Do you have an immediate need for those points? If not, then relax, let things play out a bit, and if the points don't show up in 10 days or so, submit as a missing stay.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When is the new hotel categories in effect - August 1st or 19th?

On this interactive table, the old level column has now all changed to become the same as the new level column...

Free Night Redemption Rates ? Marriott Members

However when I try to book a hotel that should be at 25K/night - the website gives me 30K/night pricing.

So the question is, new pricing would not become effective until after the merger date (and hope the system would be up and running on next Monday...)?

Or Marriott is now pulling an SPG that it often does not honor the published new categories (happened every year on multiple properties that the published down categories never happened)?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:17 pm

Other pages still say explicitly that the new chart takes effect on August 18th. I suspect what ever person or process feeds that comparison page just jumped the gone and got the new rates loaded in there even though booking will still give you the old (current) rates until August 18th.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by JHake10
I have a stay this weekend and haven't thought twice about it.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Happy
We now know the exact date in August when SPG®, Marriott Rewards® and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® will combine into one program – Saturday, August 18.
On this interactive table, the old level column has now all changed to become the same as the new level column...
I suggest you look at the actual redemption chart rather than a URL starting with uat (likely a user acceptance testing environment) that is not secure and has many, many issues. I also don't see a "old level" in the referenced chart (when I found a browser that will open it).

However when I try to book a hotel that should be at 25K/night - the website gives me 30K/night pricing.
What property?

30K is not a redemption level in the new program effective 8/18. 30K won't appear until there are off-peak and peak levels in 2019.

Last edited by CPRich; Aug 16, 2018 at 8:04 pm
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
I suggest you look at the actual redemption chart rather than a URL starting with uat (likely a user acceptance testing environment) that is not secure and has many, many issues. I also don't see a "old level" in the referenced chart (when I found a browser that will open it).

What property?

30K is not a redemption level in the new program effective 8/18. 30K won't appear until there are off-peak and peak levels in 2019.
The link you provided IS THE IDENTICAL page I got using the bookmark I have.

When I referred it being Old, it is actually labeled as Current Point Required - essentially is the old level that will be replaced by the New Points Required (new level). They are the SAME point levels now. However if the New Level not become effective, as evidenced by the actual attempt of booking a hotel on Marriott website right at this moment, Shouldn't the Current Point Required should be different than the New Points Required, versus they are the SAME now?

In other words, the bookmark I used to get to the interactive chart, goes to the identical screen your URL leads to - but the chart no longer shows the STILL IN EFFECT, "Current Points Required" i.e. the Old Level. Yet, when you try to make a reservation on Marriott site, the point level it shows, is still the Old Level, i.e. the real Current Points Required that no longer shows in the interactive chart.

If you want to see a 30K level hotel - check Hong Kong SkyCity - it is at 30K right at this moment. Ditto the Renaissance is at 35K and the JWM at 45K - they are all the old level, i.e. Current Points Required - but no longer show on the chart. Just type in Hong Kong on the chart box and you will see all the old level information is replaced by the new level, i.e. levels supposedly not become effective until Aug 18 or 19 - because right now if you try to book any of those hotels, you get the old level point requirement.

I believe adavidw understands exactly what I mean - there are discrepancies on Marriott site various areas about when the new level, i.e. the New Points Required is effective. Charts show it is already effective. Actual booking shows it is not.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.

Free Night Redemption Rates ? Marriott Members

So the question is, new pricing would not become effective until after the merger date (and hope the system would be up and running on next Monday...)?

Or Marriott is now pulling an SPG that it often does not honor the published new categories (happened every year on multiple properties that the published down categories never happened)?
Some properties has even started to give 1000 MR instead of 500 Starwood (
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
The new chart is currently erroneously showing post & post instead of pre & post. Nothing more, nothing less! No sense replying to @Happy[moderator - text removed as off-topic].

Neither!!!! It is August 18th, not Aug 1st nor August 19.

His subject line is simply asinine!

James

Last edited by hhoope01; Aug 17, 2018 at 11:53 am Reason: Comments not relevant to thread topic
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:31 pm

Can someone please clarify how points will be earned for stays after 08/18 that were pre-paid prior to 08/18?

As I understand it, status aside, the current standard earn rate is two points for every eligible dollar... but that will be switching to ten points post-08/18.

I prepaid a hotel reservation for mid-Sept this morning, so technically, it's prior to the switch-over, which happens tomorrow. My stay will take place after the switch-over date but the spend happened prior.

Will I be rewarded 2x points or 10x points?

EDIT: I WILL LEAVE THIS POST AS-IN AND ANSWER THE ABOVE QUESTION MYSELF (for anyone who might also be wondering) -

I just got off the horn with SPG and they will base the earnings on the date of the stay and not the date of payment (for those w/ prepaid rates)
RogerD408 and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by OliverB; Aug 17, 2018 at 1:01 pm
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:14 am

does anyone know what day or time we can actually book using award points or currency?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by metoo
does anyone know what day or time we can actually book using award points or currency?
Best guess is sometime before Monday morning. You never know how this migrations will go and what snakes are in the legacy systems that need to be addressed.

If you have an urgent need, a call to either the MR or SPG numbers might find someone that can help. Otherwise, you might be able to book a non-member stay and add your number later. Keep in mind, your SPG number is most likely changing but your MR number should survive (some have not). But be sure to keep copies of your bill (and DO NOT have them email the folio) so you can claim credit later.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Best guess is sometime before Monday morning. You never know how this migrations will go and what snakes are in the legacy systems that need to be addressed.

If you have an urgent need, a call to either the MR or SPG numbers might find someone that can help. Otherwise, you might be able to book a non-member stay and add your number later. Keep in mind, your SPG number is most likely changing but your MR number should survive (some have not). But be sure to keep copies of your bill (and DO NOT have them email the folio) so you can claim credit later.

Thanks. Okay, not siting around the computer all day. Going to enjoy the beautiful weather outside.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Just logged into the updated site, It says I am platinum status with 11 nights till platinum premier ( i have 64 nights this year) . However, earlier in the year I completed a challenge which gave me platinum which to my understanding should yield platinum premier. , any else been effectively downgraded?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ellinj
Just logged into the updated site, It says I am platinum status with 11 nights till platinum premier ( i have 64 nights this year) . However, earlier in the year I completed a challenge which gave me platinum which to my understanding should yield platinum premier. , any else been effectively downgraded?
It's too early to trust the info showing on the site. They are still working out the gremlins. I'm no IT guy, but I hire enough of them to know. This is a monster job.
RogerD408 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.