Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Listings On VRBO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Marriott Listings On VRBO

Last night I was browsing VRBO for a place to stay in London and noticed that the London Marriott Hotel Maida Vale had a listing for a Deluxe Room, Guest room, 1 King which was about $20/night cheaper than the rate offered on marriott.com. The marriott.com rate was prepaid and I couldn't see what the conditions of the VRBO rate was. Anybody book a Marriott stay via VRBO?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Dig into the fine print to find out if you get points/night credit if booked through VRBO.

Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:06 pm

We've used VRBO for years, but the last few times have been bad enough experiences that I really want to avoid them in the future. For instance, I'd rather be "walked" by Marriott, and at least have a place to stay, than to be told by VRBO that there's really nothing they can do when the VRBO owner sells their house and cancels my booking (that I made many months before for a wedding) 3 days before I'm due to arrive.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
You can probably get a LNF claim approved if they are selling on VRBO, either through VRBO or some other third party site.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Still think the OP should dig into the fine print to find out if nights/stay credit applies or is void because it's through VRBO. Not sure $20 is worth losing nights/points credit.

Cheers.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Bizarre. Can you tell that it is a legit direct listing from the hotel?

My first fear is that it's some guy who booked a cheap prepaid rate months ago and has now determined he can't make it to London. So he lists on VRBO, you buy it, and he (hopefully) calls the hotel and makes you Guest 2. Seems a bit dodgy to me, as this is not how Marriott hotels typically sell their rooms. I suppose it's possible that VRBO (or whomever their holding company is) is blending in traditional hotel booking engine results with their owner-listed queries, although I haven't seen that myself.

I've stayed in that hotel before. It's an otherwise normal Marriott. It was an adequate place to stay for a business trip when I wanted to be somewhat near central London without paying the crazy-high rates *in* central London. Easy Tube access from the hotel.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
Bizarre. Can you tell that it is a legit direct listing from the hotel?
Bizarre, that's what I thought too. I haven't encountered a major hotel chain on VRBO before. Unlike other listings, this one is really generic without any indication of who the property manager is. No plans to stay there as it's not in the area I want. Just thought it strange.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.