Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

No support when hotel leaves and you hold reservation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No support when hotel leaves and you hold reservation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Not sure what the big problem is. The OP could have stayed at the same hotel that’s reflagging and had no problem—except the OP apparently feels entitled to “something” for the lack of elite benefits that no longer will apply once the hotel reflags. All while the OP hypocritically states that he isn’t expecting something?
The OP had a points reservation and was told it would not be honored.

Originally Posted by dcstudent
The email was a form email that simply stated that the hotel would honor a paid reservation but not a points reservation (which I have).
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Ive been there with other chains myself. I was told that I was only notified close to my arriving date since according to the T&Cs of the contract bet The program and the Hotel the program wasnt able to confirm that the hotel was leaving even thou they gave notice far in advance according to then contract

It stinks but theres not much a Program can do and if they preinform folks with reses the hotel has a legal claim on the Program

Why the Programs havent changed the T&Cs over the yrs to give the guest ample notice I have no idea, but in most cases the Programs hands and mouths are tied shut till D Hour, when they can inform everyone of the upcoming deflaging

That said too bad all the Programs dont learn from SPG how to handle this or at least try to, Marriott could have and should have done a much better job, maybe they can bring SPGs team over and handle these things going forward
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:57 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The OP had a points reservation and was told it would not be honored.
Got it. Thanks. Somehow missed that point.

So the OP has to look elsewhere or pay for the stay on a cash rate. That's not Marriott's fault any more than it's the OP's fault. It's just the way the ball bounces, unfortunate as it may be.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Got it. Thanks. Somehow missed that point.

So the OP has to look elsewhere or pay for the stay on a cash rate. That's not Marriott's fault any more than it's the OP's fault. It's just the way the ball bounces, unfortunate as it may be.
bhrubin, I normally enjoy your posts - but I totally disagree with you on the above.

First, I've already made alternate arrangements on my own and do not want -nor am seeking- compensation from Marriott. I posted the OP to see if this is normal (dis)service with Marriott because in my two experiences with a short-notice deflag with SPG I had alternate reservations made by SPG at the same price in points or $$$ and had a direct contact to talk to - not a referral to the main 1-800 number.

Second, I made the reservation 6-9 months ago for points at a golf hotel - thru Marriott, not thru some hotel ownership group. By finding out only 3-4 weeks before my stay in the height of tourist season that my reservation could not be honored I was left with few choices in the area and all were high cost given the season and late booking. I do believe it was on Marriott to offer some resolution - not a simple mention of the closest Marriott (but that I'd have to pay the current $$$/points needed at that hotel and that it was up to me to check availability). My reservation is with Marriott, using Marriott currency, I expect customer service.

Third, I just got the same form email as another English hotel is leaving at the end of the month (Sunderland Oceanfront). Now, I'm pissed. It is only 3 weeks before my reservation and given its oceanfront, 4 night stay over a weekend, in August, there are NO other hotels/inns in the area, that are of the quality I am willing to stay at, and at anything resembling a reasonable rate (I appear to be finding rack rates if I'm being shown any availability at all). I am going to contact Marriott on this one, but am not expecting much....

I miss the SPG service where I was contacted personally, offered other options at the same price in cash or points - and not necessarily SPG hotels, and given a personal contact to fix the issue.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
If this were the case, any business or person could run up loads of debt and then change their name and say they no longer owe it. So while US contract law is not my area of expertise, I can almost guarantee that this would not be a valid legal argument. (Nevertheless, I realise that a chain might be perfectly happy to state such a claim as fact)
An outstanding debt isn't the same as a contract for a reservation. In most cases, hotels honor existing cash reservations as they were booked. It's when alternative currency is used (points) were the problems generally arise.

But you are correct that just because something is in the Terms and Conditions doesn't mean it's 100% legal. Certainly, businesses large and small get away with unfair terms simply because consumers are going to take the time and expense required to fight it in court.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:31 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

bhrubin, I normally enjoy your posts - but I totally disagree with you on the above.
I'm sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree this time.

First, I've already made alternate arrangements on my own and do not want -nor am seeking- compensation from Marriott. I posted the OP to see if this is normal (dis)service with Marriott because in my two experiences with a short-notice deflag with SPG I had alternate reservations made by SPG at the same price in points or $$$ and had a direct contact to talk to - not a referral to the main 1-800 number.
None of this happens in a vacuum. If SPG had another property in the vicinity with availability, I would expect that SPG would help you get rebooked in the other property. If Marriott had another property in the vicinity, I also would expect this. However, if there are no nearby properties in the portfolio, then I don't expect SPG or Marriott to do much more than refund your points and perhaps help you with another booking in another destination.

Second, I made the reservation 6-9 months ago for points at a golf hotel - thru Marriott, not thru some hotel ownership group. By finding out only 3-4 weeks before my stay in the height of tourist season that my reservation could not be honored I was left with few choices in the area and all were high cost given the season and late booking. I do believe it was on Marriott to offer some resolution - not a simple mention of the closest Marriott (but that I'd have to pay the current $$$/points needed at that hotel and that it was up to me to check availability). My reservation is with Marriott, using Marriott currency, I expect customer service.
I'm not saying that Marriott handled this very well, but then this is Marriott. But my impression is that your discontent is more about blame for Marriott for the original hotel no longer being available more than their not holding anyone's hand to rebook another hotel.

Third, I just got the same form email as another English hotel is leaving at the end of the month (Sunderland Oceanfront). Now, I'm pissed. It is only 3 weeks before my reservation and given its oceanfront, 4 night stay over a weekend, in August, there are NO other hotels/inns in the area, that are of the quality I am willing to stay at, and at anything resembling a reasonable rate (I appear to be finding rack rates if I'm being shown any availability at all). I am going to contact Marriott on this one, but am not expecting much....
I daresay you don't have good luck in picking hotels! I'm sorry that this keeps happening to you. But it isn't Marriott's fault if an owner wants to end their management contract before your stay nor that there aren't other hotel options in the area that you deem appropriate.

I miss the SPG service where I was contacted personally, offered other options at the same price in cash or points - and not necessarily SPG hotels, and given a personal contact to fix the issue.
That's always nice. But if there isn't another hotel option that you deem appropriate, this doesn't change the fact that the scenario is still unfortunate. This again feels to me like you're understandably upset about a bad situation that isn't your fault...but needing to blame the messenger isn't resolving the problem. Sorry we don't agree.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:51 am
Suspended

None of this happens in a vacuum. If SPG had another property in the vicinity with availability, I would expect that SPG would help you get rebooked in the other property. If Marriott had another property in the vicinity, I also would expect this. However, if there are no nearby properties in the portfolio, then I don't expect SPG or Marriott to do much more than refund your points and perhaps help you with another booking in another destination.

I'm not saying that Marriott handled this very well, but then this is Marriott. But my impression is that your discontent is more about blame for Marriott for the original hotel no longer being available more than their not holding anyone's hand to rebook another hotel.

I daresay you don't have good luck in picking hotels! I'm sorry that this keeps happening to you. But it isn't Marriott's fault if an owner wants to end their management contract before your stay nor that there aren't other hotel options in the area that you deem appropriate.

That's always nice. But if there isn't another hotel option that you deem appropriate, this doesn't change the fact that the scenario is still unfortunate. This again feels to me like you're understandably upset about a bad situation that isn't your fault...but needing to blame the messenger isn't resolving the problem. Sorry we don't agree.
You missed the pt many folks have made, and also happened to me. When in most cases a SPG was deflagged regardless of the reason SPG went and found ANY nearby hotel to rebook people at , at no extra cost to you. Of cause that was if the soon to be deflagged hotel wasnt willing to honor the reses already made via SPG be it for $$$ or pts and was able to find a nearby hotel that was willing to work with SPG. Not every time was it possible in the end

Here Marriott it seems isnt willing to do anything except if theres another Marriott Hotel nearby. I agree that SPG went beyond what they had to , while Marriott it seems isnt the least bit interested and probably according to the T&Cs dont hav eto , but it sure would hav ebeen nice if they stepped up
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by craz
Here Marriott it seems isnt willing to do anything except if theres another Marriott Hotel nearby. I agree that SPG went beyond what they had to , while Marriott it seems isnt the least bit interested and probably according to the T&Cs dont hav eto , but it sure would hav ebeen nice if they stepped up
Just to be clear, as I posted upthread, when I had this happen once with Marriott it was handled well. This does not appear to be a Marriott versus SPG issue as much as it appears a Marriott is doing things differently issue.
RogerD408, dcstudent and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,

Yes, we will.

Part of my point is that I (and others as demonstrated on thus thread) have experienced the similar situation with SPG and they made it right. Marriott isn't even offering to rebook me at their next closest hotel at the same rate or points. It's leaving me completely on my own.

No, I don't mind that the hotel is leaving. That happens. I don't care about elite benefits I can pay for breakfast and I don't need a suite and I don't need points or nights. My discontent is that Marriott is giving near-0 customer service in this situation. In the case of Sprowston I was rather easily able to make other arrangements. But giving me only 3 weeks notice on an seafront property during a weekend in the summer is leaving me with few. In fact, the soon-to-be-former Marriott is sold out so I can't even pay for a room. Those hotels/inns that are offering rooms are at rack rates. So basically, right before my vacation Marriott has said I no longer have a reservation and that they're sorry I'm screwed. While what they are doing may be perfectly legal, but it's damn crappy.

This again feels to me like you're understandably upset about a bad situation that isn't your fault...but needing to blame the messenger isn't resolving the problem.

I'm not blaming the messenger, I'm blaming the company with whom I have a contract (reservation) for a hotel stay. I didn't make my arrangements with the owner of the hotel, I made it with Marriott. So yes, I expect Marriott to offer more than a "you're out of luck." Granted, they may not be able to get me a room on the seafront -although they could arrange to pay the ex-Marriott $$$ to keep points reservations- but they aren't even offering to rebook me 10 miles away in Newcastle at another Marriott. They've pointed out they have another Marriott and that I can book it, at the prevailing rate, if it's available.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:20 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I'm not blaming the messenger, I'm blaming the company with whom I have a contract (reservation) for a hotel stay. I didn't make my arrangements with the owner of the hotel, I made it with Marriott. So yes, I expect Marriott to offer more than a "you're out of luck." Granted, they may not be able to get me a room on the seafront -although they could arrange to pay the ex-Marriott $$$ to keep points reservations- but they aren't even offering to rebook me 10 miles away in Newcastle at another Marriott. They've pointed out they have another Marriott and that I can book it, at the prevailing rate, if it's available.
When weather causes a flight to cancel, the airline does the best it can to put you on another flight to the same destination as quickly as possible (or one nearby). But the airline can't and doesn't pay for missed hotel nights or additional expenses because of circumstances such as weather that are beyond its control. The airline can put you on another flight, but it can't guarantee the same seat or even class of service--or even the same routing. The airline didn't do anything wrong...but people get plenty mad at airlines even in this scenario. You're doing the same thing IMO.

The airlines rarely call you and work with you; the airlines largely wait until you contact them to fix the problem. If you have very elite status with the airline, though, the airline may work on your behalf to try and give you remedies before you even contact them. But those remedies still may not include the same routing, the same seat, the same class of service.

If you want protection for such possible eventualities, use the proper credit card to book or purchase travel insurance. If you don't purchase travel insurance, I don't get the complaint.

Marriott is not doing much that is different here. The hotel leaving its portfolio isn't in Marriott's control. Marriott did contact you to alert you ASAP of the problem. Marriott isn't changing things because it has no idea what will work with or for you; like the airlines, it awaits your contact to try and find a solution.

If you want future protection against such unforeseen eventualities beyond Marriott's control, then book using a proper credit card with appropriate protections or purchase travel insurance. If you don't purchase travel insurance, then I don't get or agree with the complaint.

If you think Marriott is somehow worse at this scenario than Hilton, Hyatt, Accor, and the rest, then pay more to book with a hotel that you think will treat you better. I think you'll find that Marriott isn't any worse than the rest in this NEW universe where Marriott swallowed SPG. Accept the new reality....or attain Ambassador status so you can have Marriott help you as much as possible in the future.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 12, 2018 at 11:27 am
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Obviously, as we've both stated we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to convince you and you're not going to convince me.

I disagree with your analogy. This isn't an Act of God, this was a business decision between Marriott and the hotel's owners. And Marriott didn't offer me an alternative - even if . Marriott did let me know that there is a hotel in Newcastle, BUT if I want to stay at it, I have to make a new reservation at whatever rate they are currently charging. Marriott did not offer to move me to Newcastle and honor my previous rate.

I also disagree that Marriott alerted me ASAP. I wouldn't know for sure without the benefit of insider knowledge but I imagine Marriott knew more than 2 weeks beforehand that the hotel is leaving.

I will be calling Marriott a little later this afternoon to see what they can/will do for me but given that, unlike SPG, they don't appear to have a special team for these situations and are asking me to call the normal 800 number I'm not expecting much. And, this won't ruin my whole 3 week vacation in England/Scotland. And, it'll be annoying to be in Sunderland or Newcastle town centre rather than seafront but it won't be the end of the World. I will end up at a hotel/inn of the quality and price I wish to pay. That said, it is quite annoying that Marriott's position appears to be you're screwed, good luck finding your own arrangements.

When weather causes a flight to cancel, the airline does the best it can to put you on another flight to the same destination as quickly as possible (or one nearby). But the airline can't and doesn't pay for missed hotel nights or additional expenses because of circumstances such as weather that are beyond its control. The airline can put you on another flight, but it can't guarantee the same seat or even class of service--or even the same routing. The airline didn't do anything wrong...but people get plenty mad at airlines even in this scenario. You're doing the same thing IMO.

The airlines rarely call you and work with you; the airlines largely wait until you contact them to fix the problem. If you have very elite status with the airline, though, the airline may work on your behalf to try and give you remedies before you even contact them. But those remedies still may not include the same routing, the same seat, the same class of service.

If you want protection for such possible eventualities, use the proper credit card to book or purchase travel insurance. If you don't purchase travel insurance, I don't get the complaint.

Marriott is not doing much that is different here. The hotel leaving its portfolio isn't in Marriott's control. Marriott did contact you to alert you ASAP of the problem. Marriott isn't changing things because it has no idea what will work with or for you; like the airlines, it awaits your contact to try and find a solution.

If you want future protection against such unforeseen eventualities beyond Marriott's control, then book using a proper credit card with appropriate protections or purchase travel insurance. If you don't purchase travel insurance, then I don't get or agree with the complaint.

If you think Marriott is somehow worse at this scenario than Hilton, Hyatt, Accor, and the rest, then pay more to book with a hotel that you think will treat you better. I think you'll find that Marriott isn't any worse than the rest in this NEW universe where Marriott swallowed SPG. Accept the new reality....or attain Ambassador status so you can have Marriott help you as much as possible in the future.

Last edited by dcstudent; Jul 12, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Just to be clear, as I posted upthread, when I had this happen once with Marriott it was handled well. This does not appear to be a Marriott versus SPG issue as much as it appears a Marriott is doing things differently issue.
True, thank you.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

This.

Originally Posted by craz
You missed the pt many folks have made, and also happened to me. When in most cases a SPG was deflagged regardless of the reason SPG went and found ANY nearby hotel to rebook people at , at no extra cost to you. Of cause that was if the soon to be deflagged hotel wasnt willing to honor the reses already made via SPG be it for $$$ or pts and was able to find a nearby hotel that was willing to work with SPG. Not every time was it possible in the end

Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador

A few thoughts
  • Yes, the airline puts you on another flight. The airline does not merely refund your money and say "good luck". This is what Marriott effectively did.
  • Yes, the airlines call, or at least they call me. I have a flight in October which will be slightly changed. The airline proactively reached out to me in June, 4 months prior to my flight.
  • The travel insurance suggestion is inappropriate in this instance as travel insurance generally does not cover award redemptions.
Marriott and/or the hotel made a business decision to part ways. Tha, of course,urse their right. The question remains, their business decision is adversely affecting a customer. How Marriott chooses to respond is 100% within their control. Do we consider their response acceptable or not. I for one, find their response lackluster at best.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by clarkef
A few thoughts
  • Yes, the airline puts you on another flight. The airline does not merely refund your money and say "good luck". This is what Marriott effectively did.
  • Yes, the airlines call, or at least they call me. I have a flight in October which will be slightly changed. The airline proactively reached out to me in June, 4 months prior to my flight.
  • The travel insurance suggestion is inappropriate in this instance as travel insurance generally does not cover award redemptions.
Marriott and/or the hotel made a business decision to part ways. Tha, of course,urse their right. The question remains, their business decision is adversely affecting a customer. How Marriott chooses to respond is 100% within their control. Do we consider their response acceptable or not. I for one, find their response lackluster at best.
I would add the following:

1. It's not clear to me that travel insurance would cover this situation, even if one had made a reservation for the hotel to be paid with money rather than points.

2. It's unclear that an Ambassador could do something either whether SPG, MR or new combined program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.