FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No support when hotel leaves and you hold reservation?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:11 pm
dcstudent

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Got it. Thanks. Somehow missed that point.

So the OP has to look elsewhere or pay for the stay on a cash rate. That's not Marriott's fault any more than it's the OP's fault. It's just the way the ball bounces, unfortunate as it may be.
bhrubin, I normally enjoy your posts - but I totally disagree with you on the above.

First, I've already made alternate arrangements on my own and do not want -nor am seeking- compensation from Marriott. I posted the OP to see if this is normal (dis)service with Marriott because in my two experiences with a short-notice deflag with SPG I had alternate reservations made by SPG at the same price in points or $$$ and had a direct contact to talk to - not a referral to the main 1-800 number.

Second, I made the reservation 6-9 months ago for points at a golf hotel - thru Marriott, not thru some hotel ownership group. By finding out only 3-4 weeks before my stay in the height of tourist season that my reservation could not be honored I was left with few choices in the area and all were high cost given the season and late booking. I do believe it was on Marriott to offer some resolution - not a simple mention of the closest Marriott (but that I'd have to pay the current $$$/points needed at that hotel and that it was up to me to check availability). My reservation is with Marriott, using Marriott currency, I expect customer service.

Third, I just got the same form email as another English hotel is leaving at the end of the month (Sunderland Oceanfront). Now, I'm pissed. It is only 3 weeks before my reservation and given its oceanfront, 4 night stay over a weekend, in August, there are NO other hotels/inns in the area, that are of the quality I am willing to stay at, and at anything resembling a reasonable rate (I appear to be finding rack rates if I'm being shown any availability at all). I am going to contact Marriott on this one, but am not expecting much....

I miss the SPG service where I was contacted personally, offered other options at the same price in cash or points - and not necessarily SPG hotels, and given a personal contact to fix the issue.