Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic Key rollout

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Electronic Key rollout

Pardon if this is already discussed. Does the electronic key on cell phone roll-out seem challenging. Multiple keys need sent to phone, Keys not working, adding night throws key off, Keys stop working mid-stay, Front desk has not figured out how to distribute paper documents, meal certs, bar discounts etc with electronic key. I have found issues with low end to high end properties across the system. Front desk personell not trained or have not seen key functionality. Call number given when key does not work, and operator (usually now off site) does not know how to handle etc. Even the give us comments link on the key does not work on phone app.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
In 2 of my recent stays when I was on holiday, I had the option to get electronic keys sent to my mobile phone but after reading a review on them (and their failures) on Australia Business Traveller, I made sure I unticked the box so that I got manual (plastic) keys. I still had issues with them too as it happens but feel more comfortable having physical (plastic) keys than it linked to my phone, especially when staying overseas and having connectivity challenges.
jtp1947 and ryw like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada 35K
I stayed at the Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection in May and used the electronic key on my phone and it worked fine for the 1 night I was there.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:47 pm

I usually get both but find the mobile keys so cumbersome. If they were available via Apple Wallet or something, it would be a bit more usable IMO.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've never had this with any Marriott/Starwood yet.

Which is weird, because I've been getting it for over a year at most of my Hilton stays, and their version seems to work pretty well. Only once was I at a hotel where they seemed to be having technical difficulties.

I love it when it's available. For some stays I swing by the FD to get a backup plastic key (for the pool, etc.), but I like knowing I can do that whenever there's no one else at the front desk.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:03 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
SPG has had this smartphone functionality for a few years now at most W and many Aloft hotels. I’ve had both good and troublesome experiences with it, but in the last year my W stays have had easy experiences using the electronic key.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.