Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

'Thank you for being a loyal customer....." has it gone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:07 am
Original Poster

I have just finished the platinum challenge and none of the receptionists came out with the usual 'thank you for being a loyal customer' piece. Not one in nine stays. I never really knew how to respond to it apart from an uncomfortable smile, but if this is a permanent change then I'm happy with it.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I got it at my last stay in Houston. I don't think it's gone, so it's odd they didn't say it to you.

But I agree, it's a little awkward when they say it. I usually just smile awkwardly back. But some people, including many who have posted in this forum, seem to thrive on this type of recognition, so I doubt Marriott would discontinue it. After all, it's free.
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I still get it from time to time at hotels of all brands.

Even happens at Hyatt, where I don't have a real status. (I think I'm a "Discoverist" now - I have the credit card but usually zero revenue stays per year.)

Doesn't bother me when I don't get it, as long as they're getting my basic room preferences right. If they aren't doing that, then yeah, it's DYKWIA time.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
On my recent trip to Toronto, Washington DC and New York, I was warmly greeted and thanked for being an Elite Member when checking in or any time I had to go to the front desk for something. I get back to the UK and nobody said thanks at the hotel I checked into beside Heathrow.

TBH it seemed strange hearing you be thanked as it is not something I usually hear often when checking in in the UK.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I was walking past the reception desk of a Marriott property in Virginia last weak and overheard the receptionist say to the guest checking in "Thank you for being a loyal Marriott Rewards silver member. We appreciate your loyalty".

So it's still happening for all elite levels.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:29 pm

I got it on my first stay (had gold status from an Amex)!

​​​​But haven't on my last 10 stays. Big decrease from 2017.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Perhaps it's just a few of us then, interesting? The Marriott properties called me by name - which was new, different and nice, but a Renaissance and resort didn't. Oh well....
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I don't need status recognition. I need a nice place to stay at a reasonable cost.
Mwenenzi, nequine and JBord like this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:31 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I like being thanked for being a silver/gold/platinum/nuisance member in their loyalty program. At least I then know, that the reason why I didn't get an upgrade again, isn't because they didn't realize my status level. Puts my mind at ease.

HTB.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by htb
I like being thanked for being a silver/gold/platinum/nuisance member in their loyalty program. At least I then know, that the reason why I didn't get an upgrade again, isn't because they didn't realize my status level. Puts my mind at ease.

HTB.
Are you being serious or joking? I consider all upgrades (not just hotels) a nice surprise, don't spend any time thinking or hoping that I might get them. When I check in, I'm usually hoping the hotel has comfortable beds and trying to figure out where to eat dinner or where the concierge lounge is located.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
The FDC at a hotel I recently checked into thanked each elite guest for being an "e-light" member. Apparently had a bit of trouble reading the word elite.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JBord
Are you being serious or joking? I consider all upgrades (not just hotels) a nice surprise, don't spend any time thinking or hoping that I might get them. When I check in, I'm usually hoping the hotel has comfortable beds and trying to figure out where to eat dinner or where the concierge lounge is located.
There have been cases when a hotel has given me a bad room, *not* mentioned my status, and I've been in this awkward place of trying to ask a polite version of DYKWIA? As in, "did I get a bad room because the hotel is 100% full of higher Plat/Diamond members or did I get a bad room because my number isn't there?" Not so much angling for an upgrade but angling to get my profile bed type or to get out of the first-floor room next to the elevator. And, on a secondary level, making sure the number is there so I'll at least get my points/nights without having to fight for them after the stay.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
There have been cases when a hotel has given me a bad room, *not* mentioned my status, and I've been in this awkward place of trying to ask a polite version of DYKWIA? As in, "did I get a bad room because the hotel is 100% full of higher Plat/Diamond members or did I get a bad room because my number isn't there?" Not so much angling for an upgrade but angling to get my profile bed type or to get out of the first-floor room next to the elevator. And, on a secondary level, making sure the number is there so I'll at least get my points/nights without having to fight for them after the stay.
This makes sense. My experience is that they usually start with: "We already have your rewards number on file", then: "Thank you for being a Platinum member". Either of those would suffice, but all I really need is the first sentence. But unlike the previous poster, my mind is never uneasy about whether or not I deserve a room upgrade.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by JackE
I don't need status recognition. I need a nice place to stay at a reasonable cost.
There's no point in making any effort to stay with a single portfolio of brands in that case.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:20 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JBord
Are you being serious or joking?
It's both. If an elite program promises "complimentary upgrades" and I never seem to get them, it's good to know that it's not because the hotel has overlooked my status level. Then it comes down to the hotel despising giving out freebies to elites or just being sold out.

HTB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.