Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any Success Negotiating for an 8:00 pm checkout??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

I'm currently a Marriott Gold. Has anyone successfully negotiated a checkout of around 8:00 pm for a partial fee? I'm willing to pay another $50 for the extra 4 hours...but I don't want to go on a fools mission necessarily. I'd just pay for another night but this is NY (Long Island) and it's $233 per night and isn't worth 4 hours. Worst case, I'll just sit in my car in the parking lot. lol.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:38 pm

I've been proactively offered 8PM checkout for no cost as a Plat on a cheap one-night stay. Generally a manager will need to sign off for anything after 4PM and the front desk agent will probably say no initially.

It will of course depend on the property and their occupancy rates. Note some hotels don't keep housekeeping staff that late, so it may be impossible for some hotels to flip the room (i.e. probably a hard no to such a request).
Whoever likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I've never asked for an 8:00 pm checkout but have been given 6:00 pm. As nazdoom stated, it really depends upon the property and occupancy.

But why would you just "sit in your car"? Couldn't you just leave your car in the parking lot and go to a restaurant or go see a movie? It doesn't seem like an either/or situation.
Whoever likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even with SPG's Your 24, available to people with 75+ nights, checking out that late is not routinely approved.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
What we've negotiated in the past is access to the lounge so that at least we've somewhere to sit other than the hotel lobby or bar.
CJKatl and Whoever like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Do you have a late night flight? If so, I would go hang out in the lounge at the airport.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Usually you would have more success with hotels near an airport where there may be an influx of guests on late fights and they keep housekeeping around that late. Airports like the LAX FS or Ren or certain Asian cities like Bangkok where the flights from America get in around midnight so the hotels have full staff available for when guests arrive the the wee hours.

With that said, there is a site that lets you search for day rates, http://www.dayuse.com. Sometimes Marriott hotels pop up here. After you choose the hotel, you choose the hours you want the room. Sometimes you can keep those rooms until eight at night and sometimes there will be offers you can find there but not get directly through the hotel. It would be worth checking whether your hotel has availability since checking is free and takes very little time. If they do, you can either book the day rate through the site or show the hotel and go from there.

Since you did not mention a hotel or date, I just threw Melville for next month into the search engine and the CY Westbury popped up but only until four in the afternoon. The JFK CY has until six at night for $119 and the CY Long Island City is $149 for the same.
Whoever and KRSW like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Do you have a late night flight? If so, I would go hang out in the lounge at the airport.
The last time I was in Manhattan that was my plan. I had been elsewhere and had a rental car so I was going to zip down 90th St where grandma lived from 1960-1990 then head for the airport and hang in the lounge a few hours. I wound up stuck on the LIE for hours, behind an accident, and barely made my flight which has made me a big fan of planning to get to the NY airport early and hanging out at the airport versus staying in the city to fritter time.
DJ_Iceman and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
With that said, there is a site that lets you search for day rates, http://www.dayuse.com. Sometimes Marriott hotels pop up here.
Great resource! Thanks very much.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:22 am
Original Poster

I’ll play this one by ear. I’ll probably just find a nice restaurant and have a leisurely dinner.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Whoever
I’ll play this one by ear. I’ll probably just find a nice restaurant and have a leisurely dinner.
It doesn't hurt to ask. And you can ask at check in and again during check out day if it's not granted. Just be nice about it and don't demand it.

They should at least give you lounge access. You could also sit in the lobby for a few hours and get work done...I've done that no problem
Whoever likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.