Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Denied Lounge Access Based on Room Rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Lounge Access Based on Room Rate

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:39 am

I think The OP needs to contact Marriott corporate HQ for clarity about this regardless if it was listed in the T&C. I had something similar happen to me at AC Hotel Barcelona and when I contacted corporate they contacted the hotel and in the end, Marriott HQ coordinated the delivery of the elite benefit that I was entitled too.

Some hotels think they can get away with not providing benefits by adding a disclaimer without Marriott catching wind of it.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
The T&Cs won't matter if you have a later written contract that waives Elite Benefits as you have contractually waived the T&Cs for this stay. I am checking my reservations more closely from now on.
What about the written contract hotels have with Marriott to provide elite benefits that trump (I dislike using that word more than ever these days) any hotel waiver which may go against the franchise agreement?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
What is confusing is that the screen shot shown earlier with the "rate disclaimer" is from Marriott's website, not a hotel created website. So, Mariott HQ must know about this and/or condone it.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I have traveled with a friend who is an airline employee and have checked under my name using an airline employee discount rate. Sometimes those rates do not receive night credit or points, depending on the hotel. Frankly, it seems a bit random but it is known and understood since they can be significant discounts (others times actually more or within a couple of dollars.). However, I still get the rest of the Plat Premier/Plat status benefits of upgrade, welcome gift, lounge access, etc.

That being said, I think there is another post from years ago on this same issue.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Collierkr
What is confusing is that the screen shot shown earlier with the "rate disclaimer" is from Marriott's website, not a hotel created website. So, Mariott HQ must know about this and/or condone it.
I wouldn't necessarily conclude that. Marriott HQ likely gives them direct access to the booking engine in a structured format and hotels create and modify the rates and 'extras" to suit their needs. I doubt a human reads the free form text (although they should!). OTOH, this makes it easy to "nail" them. You need to complain long and hard to HQ to see if they agree.

Real sneaky, like selling club level rooms on the weekend with a closed lounge or a lounge that refuses to restock its F&B after being cleaned out.
SPN Lifer, CPRich, Tanic and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by imverge
What about the written contract hotels have with Marriott to provide elite benefits that trump (I dislike using that word more than ever these days) any hotel waiver which may go against the franchise agreement?
You have no idea what is in the franchise agreement but the guest is not a party to that agreement.

Suppose you have a contract with Spacely Sprockets under which you order your sprockets. The contract calls for all your sprockets to be painted blue. You enter into a contract for a single sprocket that you want painted red. You release Spacely from the contract provision requiring blue for just this one sprocket. As long as both contracts are written that is permissible. It is the same thing here. Maybe there is a provision between the company and Marriott where they are not supposed to do this, but we do not know that. The stance should not be that the guest has an entitlement. It is worth asking Marriott but so as far as we know the two parties are free to negotiate a separate contract for this stay, which they did, and waive the benefits by waiving all rights under the T&Cs. The property cannot waive the parts about how the MR tracks points or the like, but anything between the guest and the hotel can be waived. We need to look at our confirmations carefully.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
The T&Cs won't matter if you have a later written contract that waives Elite Benefits as you have contractually waived the T&Cs for this stay. I am checking my reservations more closely from now on.
I'm guessing the corporate rate is the deciding factor. At a previous employer, we had a negotiated rate with a non-Marriott hotel chain that gave ludicrously low prices (about 25% or more less than the lowest one offered on the hotel web site), which was given in exchange for people who used the rate forgoing all elite benefits while staying on that rate. The corporate contract had specific wording to override the hotel elite program T&C.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by joshua362
I wouldn't necessarily conclude that. Marriott HQ likely gives them direct access to the booking engine in a structured format and hotels create and modify the rates and 'extras" to suit their needs. I doubt a human reads the free form text (although they should!). OTOH, this makes it easy to "nail" them. You need to complain long and hard to HQ to see if they agree.

Real sneaky, like selling club level rooms on the weekend with a closed lounge or a lounge that refuses to restock its F&B after being cleaned out.
Last summer I had a AAA rate that was slightly higher because parking was included. However, when I arrived at the hotel, I discovered that parking was free for everyone that (weekend) day.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:27 am

You have no idea what is in the franchise agreement but the guest is not a party to that agreement.
Never claimed to know what's in the franchise agreement, that is the reason I suggested the OP contact Marriott HQ because from personal experience some properties like to do things under the radar hoping Marriott HQ won't find out. Again referencing my personal experience, when I contacted Marriott HQ they confirmed the property was not allowed to do what it was doing and in the end, they dealt with the hotel and I was made "whole".
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by joshua362

perhaps, but they SHOULD know this type of thing. So if they don’t it is ignorance for which they should be liable.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
wow, Marriott better stops this nonsense.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JonasCLT
Turns out I missed this in the rate details. Didn't know it was even possible to ignore Marriott Rewards at a Marriott branded property, I've even received status benefits on rooms booked through the hotwire/Priceline type sites.

Guess its like basic economy rates, look pretty much the same when you book but a surprise when you check in. Not a shady corporate code either, fortune global 50 or 100 company.

Looks like it's a local promotional rate. In my experience, those are restricted to folks who live in the area of the hotel. Often one has to show proof of residence. If that's the case, are you local?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Looks like it's a local promotional rate. In my experience, those are restricted to folks who live in the area of the hotel. Often one has to show proof of residence. If that's the case, are you local?
According to the OP, it's a corporate rate, IIRC booked through the employer's required travel portal (online corporate travel agent).
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
According to the OP, it's a corporate rate, IIRC booked through the employer's required travel portal (online corporate travel agent).
I'm using my corporate rate booked through marriott.com and accessed lounges everywhere else the same way.
Booked through marriott.com per OP. I'm just basing this on what I read in the screen shot. "...pecial local rate."
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
OP, are you sure this is a corporate rate? Putting your corporate code in at marriott.com gives corporate rate, but also others. With the note in the screen shot of a special local rate, I'm not sure it could be both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.