Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

How do hotels recognize Platinum guests?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do hotels recognize Platinum guests?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Another kinda creepy trick... I pulled a rental car into the SF JW and popped open the trunk. As the bellman was taking out my luggage he said something like, "We have been expecting you Mr. CJK. You have been upgraded to the Presidential Suite (or something like that)." There was a long line at check-in but he took me to a seating area on the side where they checked me in immediately. So I asked how he knew it was me and he sheepishly admitted that bellman will look at the airline luggage tags for a guest's name.
Creepy? This sounds like heaven and a great customer service perk at this normally blah hotel. Would love this recognition even if there for an affair or job interview. Professional assassin assignment,, maybe not...

Contrast this to pulling up to the Downtown PHL Marriott one 100 degree July Saturday afternoon and not one bellman to be found or could be summoned outside in the heat (also had a upgraded suite waiting).
C17PSGR and bhrubin like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
I don't know if it is my imagination, but at one hotel I frequent (in the US), the front desk staff have been greeting me by name, before I even say a word - including staff that I've never seen before. I don't know what's going on, but it is somewhat creepy.
I think it's pretty creepy any time it comes from someone you haven't met before.

That said, I'm very supportive of the practice for long term guests (maybe anyone over a week?), as well as frequent customers (let's say monthly), even if you haven't met the person. But I'd want to consent to having my picture taken for that purpose, not someone using a security camera or scanned passport photo. Some people are extremely private and don't want their pictures shared or names announced. I met and befriended a couple at a small 6-room hotel once, actually very friendly people. They were on a fishing trip, and the owner asked if she could take a photo of them with the fish they caught. They agreed to the picture, but said they wouldn't consent to sharing it publicly -- particularly on the hotel's website. I'm certain they would not be happy to walk into a Marriott and have a bunch of strangers addressing them by their names.
newbiztraveler likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:24 pm

Only once have I had this happen at checkin, I think they just guessed who I was based on the reservation and time I was arriving.

When I was in Vietnam most of the hotels' staff would make a big effort to learn my name, why I was in town, and then would greet me each time I'd arrive back and ask about what I was up to and how they could assist. They'd tell me what all I should do and how much I should be paying for everything.

This was all at boutique hotels and not somewhere with a loyalty program.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:59 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Happens all over the Middle East properties too. They have my photo up with my preferences noted under it. They have all of the Platinum's staying. Also kind of humerus lots of placards "Treat you guest as you would be treated" etc..
Old May 21, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
... so am I alone in the fact that I hate this kind of overt recognition? I really don't need a lot of fanfare when I check in, just give me the best room you can and leave me alone, I don't need all that conversation

(Whatever happened to the "seen and not heard" style of waitstaff? It's like when your Uber driver wants to get all chatty and doesn't get the "uh." hint after several like replies to their questions- dude, I'm never gonna see you again- we're not bros!)
Old May 21, 2018, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... so am I alone in the fact that I hate this kind of overt recognition? I really don't need a lot of fanfare when I check in, just give me the best room you can and leave me alone, I don't need all that conversation

(Whatever happened to the "seen and not heard" style of waitstaff? It's like when your Uber driver wants to get all chatty and doesn't get the "uh." hint after several like replies to their questions- dude, I'm never gonna see you again- we're not bros!)
No, you're not. When I'm traveling with my wife, she loves this type of attention, so being the loving husband I am, smile and tolerate it. However, when I'm traveling solo, I could care less. Hell, I even lug my own bags if I can. This even goes to more private upscale properties we stay at too.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Paradoxically the two Courtyards I stayed at clearly criculated my photo, but this JW (Kuala Lumpur) I'm at now did not. I'm guessing because this hotel is so much larger.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:48 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by kennycrudup

OK, so they should cancel the parade for your next stay? I think that Hyatt would be a good choice for you as they have webcheckin and many of their hotels have machines at the FD where you can checkin without talking to a person. Of course, my friend who is Hyatt Globalist for Life loves it when he checks in and they already know him. It is usually at the properties he frequents and knows all the FD and Lounge managers and long term staff.ANd, SPG is expanding the keyless program where you get the room assigned via a mobile app and can open the door with that. Of course, the few times I used it, I needed to get the FD staff to make it work, but maybe there has been some progress in getting the bugs out.
I guess it depends on what you like, but I've found that getting to know the management and staff at most hotels leads to only good things. Can you say Presidential (or similar) suite?
Old May 22, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Many/ most nicer Asian properties seem to Baidu/ Google guests or at least me. I like it and appreciate it when a lounge or FD person congratulates me for a public event since my last stay or clearly reads up in my past for first time stays. SPG does that very well in Asia. RASON why I am loyal as even top places like MO or Peninsula wont do that .

I am currently hitting up several countries in Europe where so far I have been anonymous completely. FDs did not even seem to notice I was plat .

I do not mind but find it frustrating having to go over the same drink orders for breakfast (they don't change, ever) or club lounge with same waitresses who do not even seem to recognize me from day to day . I don't need over the top service but thebtotal lack has been surprising

I miss Asia
Old May 22, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Only once have I had this happen at checkin, I think they just guessed who I was based on the reservation and time I was arriving.
This happened to me at a Phuket Marriott, and I didn't find it to be creepy at all. I think it's because they asked "Mr. JBord?", vs. knowing it was me. I assume I was either the only or last guest they were expecting to check in that day -- or at least the only solo one. No one else used my name the rest of the stay.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Only a few days until GDPR... Wonder if hotels are all going to reveal the data they are collecting, and how they use it... 🤔

​​To be honest I don't mind a little bit of understated recognition, so I'm okay with this.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by rbAA
Can you say Presidential (or similar) suite?
I've had several of these, or some "Well, damn already!" equivalent; I ask at checkin and if there's one available I can get it. Lot of time I'm on the cheapest rate (or coded rate) I can find, which makes it even better.

My life is fine, I already know how great I am; I don't need to be reminded by hotel staff (whom, I'd be willing to bet money have had it up to the eyeballs with the "make me feel special!" guests they have to put on the face for).
Old May 22, 2018, 12:59 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I think we all now can better understand the reason why so many different hotel brands exist: to serve the different thresholds of expectations for so many different people.

If recognition isn’t so important to you, there are many hotel brands offering large hotels with many hundreds of rooms and many services and amenities, and many hotels that are just more basic in offerings but much less expensive. Being Platinum in these environments can get you more bang for your buck with access to lounges or free amenities not normally offered to everyone.

If recognition is more important to you, there are hotel brands offering more boutique and luxury environments where more personalized interactions are available and appropriate. Being Platinum in these environments can get you more bang for your buck, too, but usually with more service-oriented attention and individuality than normally can be accorded in larger hotels or cheaper hotels.

Marriott is a big family and huge portfolio. There are brands now to suit almost any expectation one may have. There is no need to judge people with different expectations nor to judge brands that serve those differently.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Many/ most nicer Asian properties seem to Baidu/ Google guests or at least me. I like it and appreciate it when a lounge or FD person congratulates me for a public event since my last stay or clearly reads up in my past for first time stays.
No thank you. Definitely not for me. I'm a private person by nature and do my best to keep my information off the internet, much for this very reason. My fiancé has a different approach -- her online information is not even close to true. When people use that information with her, she knows they're looking her up.

I prefer traditional luxury and professionalism -- get to know me, in person, and I'll return the favor. Last year I stopped by a FS Marriott I've stayed at many times and have befriended some of the staff there. I wasn't staying; I was just passing through and brought a few of the staff some small gifts from my travels and just to catch up with how they are doing. It's nice to have some (real) friends to look forward to seeing when traveling.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:31 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by bhrubin
If recognition isn’t so important to you, there are many hotel brands offering large hotels with many hundreds of rooms and many services and amenities, and many hotels that are just more basic in offerings but much less expensive. Being Platinum in these environments can get you more bang for your buck with access to lounges or free amenities not normally offered to everyone.[left]
If recognition is more important to you, there are hotel brands offering more boutique and luxury environments where more personalized interactions are available and appropriate. Being Platinum in these environments can get you more bang for your buck, too, but usually with more service-oriented attention and individuality than normally can be accorded in larger hotels or cheaper hotels.
I don't see a reason there should be a connection between size of the property and level of overt fawning. I like smaller properties but don't want a lot of obsequiousness.
CJKatl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.