Wiki Posts
Search

Wish for a german Marriott CC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
If anything Marriott will probably issue credit cards in China - it's a huge market. Europe is tiny compared to China.

Here in Sweden we have SAS Amex card and BA credit card - and Sweden is really a card country compared to Denmark and Norway. Germany is much better with credit card now than say 5-10 years ago. Not that Marriott really cares about Sweden as they only have hotels in Stockholm. The Ren in Malmo doesn't exist long.

Actually California is a cash place - it's a lot cheaper to pay for gas with US debit card (my Hong Kong issued Citi debit card doesn't work) or cash. I was charged card fee for buying oranges in a farm stand in Monterey - it's not allowed in Sweden (perhaps the EU).

Marriott used to give Non-US members double elite nights for paid stays to compensate the lack of credit card - but that doesn't last long.
Its not allowed either based on CA law but the merchants do it anyways. Its legal to give a discount for cash but not for adding a surcharge in CA but merchants do it anyways.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Well here is an article from the Telegraph regarding the EU rules and how all it did was cut the perks and consumers are still paying the fees.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal...y25pc-to-spen/
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by itsallgood
I did state that if you want one bad enough, you can do the research. I used Google, typing in can a foreign national get a US credit card. Result: About 79,500,000 results (0.71 seconds)

I clicked on a few of the search results and they were informative.
Informative in that they told you you'd be wasting your time?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Informative in that they told you you'd be wasting your time?
No, I skimmed the first 4 or 5 of 97 million and there were at least 3 that discussed various workarounds. If one isn't willing to do a Google search though, the likelihood of them following the workaround requirements to any links I'd post is infinitesimally small.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by seat38a
Its not allowed either based on CA law but the merchants do it anyways. Its legal to give a discount for cash but not for adding a surcharge in CA but merchants do it anyways.
CA Law prohibiting surcharge was found unconstitutional in Jan 2018 and struck down, New York's was found similarly unconstitutional in 2017. 8 other states still have laws on the books about surcharging, and it's likely NY and CA will appeal (NY's case was remanded to a lower court, CA has not exhausted appeals up to SCOTUS; however, the case is similar and the verdict in the NY case was a unanimous 8-0 at the time [unfilled seat]).

That being said Visa's made it kind of obtuse in their rules, at a minimum. You're not allowed to surcharge another card any card with a higher processing rate more than Visa/mastercard (so if Visa and mastercard cost you 2% and Amex/Discover cost you 3-4%, you can only surcharge other credit cards on the whole up to 2%), and you can only surcharge up to your merchant discount rate (average swipe fee across all transactions). You then have to post signage about credit surcharging at the door, and at every point of sale. Then the networks require you to register because if you don't and someone reports it, you broke the rules, and if you do register they watch your surcharge rates and then bust you if your surcharge exceeds your merchant discount.

If you believe a merchant is applying a surcharge against the rules and you feel that's wrong, you can report it to your card issuer (particularly visa/mastercard). The system is against it.

Even if the state laws on surcharging get struck down, the current network rules limiting surcharging to the average discount rate (changes over time, is it confusing if you visit one month and the surcharge is 1.55% and the next month it's 2.16%) and equal among all products (Amex may cost you more to process but you can only surcharge it the same as Visa/Mastercard's lower surcharge) combined with consumer anger/confusion means stores are just more likely to reject it. Although if the retail challenges to the surcharge laws in other states succeed, then I expect that the larger retailers will just start up their legal battle against the networks (Visa/Amex/Mastercard/Discover) again to strike down the rest of the provisions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.