Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Anyone hear of any updates on the card? It gets released on Friday and surprised they haven't spilled the beans on the upgrade bonus yet.
Just how many more spilled beans are you expecting? It was already leaked somewhere a couple weeks ago that the signup bonus on the new card would be 100k requiring $5k spend in 3 months.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Anyone hear of any updates on the card? It gets released on Friday and surprised they haven't spilled the beans on the upgrade bonus yet.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Just how many more spilled beans are you expecting? It was already leaked somewhere a couple weeks ago that the signup bonus on the new card would be 100k requiring $5k spend in 3 months.
Perhaps FlynHawaiian320 is interested in the upgrade offers to convert existing Premier cards to the Premier Plus.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by jeanie
Perhaps FlynHawaiian320 is interested in the upgrade offers to convert existing Premier cards to the Premier Plus.
I'm holding out, but I'm guessing Chase will pitch the benefits of it giving 6x points instead of 5x on Mar/SPG, 2x instead of 1x on everything else, and 35,000 points night (vs. 25,000pt free night) + free in room premium internet regardless of elite rank (GM, Silver or Gold included) as being worth the $10/yr annual fee increase and not needing another credit inquiry/risk of denial, versus proactively offering a bonus for existing Chase MR Plat Premier cardholders to upconvert to the MR Premier Plus card.

Who knows though...
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by phltraveler
I'm holding out, but I'm guessing Chase will pitch the benefits of it giving 6x points instead of 5x on Mar/SPG, 2x instead of 1x on everything else, and 35,000 points night (vs. 25,000pt free night) + free in room premium internet regardless of elite rank (GM, Silver or Gold included) as being worth the $10/yr annual fee increase and not needing another credit inquiry/risk of denial, versus proactively offering a bonus for existing Chase MR Plat Premier cardholders to upconvert to the MR Premier Plus card.

Who knows though...
Here is the link to the official Chase page on the Marriott Premier Plus.

https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/getmore

If you click on the FAQ, it has this quote saying that points will be offered to upgrade from the Premier to the Premier Plus. We have been speculating about how many points will be offered.

What if I have an existing Chase Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card?
Thank you for your cardmembership. Cardmembers can have either the Marriott Rewards Premier credit card or the Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card. We will be offering points to upgrade to the new Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus card. Check back on May 3rd.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
Here is the link to the official Chase page on the Marriott Premier Plus.

https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/getmore

If you click on the FAQ, it has this quote saying that points will be offered to upgrade from the Premier to the Premier Plus. We have been speculating about how many points will be offered.
Missed that, thanks.

I'm wondering if the upgrade offer will be based on minimum spend or not. If they want to separate people from the $3K spent = extra elite night, or trying to get the extra $10/yr out of people, may offer points on upgrade without minimum spend - but I highly doubt that.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Silver
The offer page is already up for upgrading.

I checked mine and it offered 20k points after my first purchase

Here's the link - https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Old May 2, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
I was offered 10,000 to upgrade.

Insulting.
joshua362 and CO-PLAT like this.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Silver
I'm surprised with my 20k offer, given my not so frequent usage. $10 for the equivalent of 6,666 Starpoints? Not bad. Not really a big deal given my annual fee just came due on the old card.

Originally Posted by dgreen12
I was offered 10,000 to upgrade.

Insulting.
Old May 3, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
I was also offered 10,000 points. I’ll keep the old card (and save $10/year in the process).
Old May 3, 2018, 7:31 am

If I cancel my current chase Marriott card, am I eligible for the 100,000 bonus on the new card?
Old May 3, 2018, 7:38 am

Very weak offer. Why wouldn't everyone just cancel their card and go for the 100k bonus instead? (assuming you meet the 2 yr threshold criteria)
Old May 3, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta PM & 2.4M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve

My Offer on an annual $15-$20K spend...

Thank You

We are sorry. You don’t have any offers for the details you entered. However, if you have any questions or need assistance about this offer,
please call the number on the back of your card.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:38 am

10,000 points after first purchase like most everyone else.

Hard to say. Points are incremental but not hard to earn. The $10 increase on annual fee and slight increase on points is not appealing, but the free night cert on the old card being limited to 25,000 points versus 35,000 on the new one might be enough to get me to upgrade.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold
I got offered the 10K bonus points too. But if you compare benefits, the Plus card doesn't offer 1 Elite night credit for every $3000 in spend and no Trip Cancellation/Interruption insurance, strange since the card's fee is higher. Makes the upgrade a whole lot less enticing.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by jacca83
I got offered the 10K bonus points too. But if you compare benefits, the Plus card doesn't offer 1 Elite night credit for every $3000 in spend and no Trip Cancellation/Interruption insurance, strange since the card's fee is higher. Makes the upgrade a whole lot less enticing.
It depends on your average spend, but I didn't earn that many nights from the $3,000 credit, but I generally only concentrated my Marriott spending on the card, and not all of my spending.

Trip cancellation/interruption removal on the new card is kind of baffling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.