Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Are suite night certificates awarded to all Platinum/Platinum Premier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are suite night certificates awarded to all Platinum/Platinum Premier?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mingzie
You guys clearly care. More suite night certificates means less chance of suite for you - that is why you are getting so sensitive.

The only place there is an asterisk is on Lucky's blog through a fan made chart, not on any of their official marketing details.
I don't actually anticipate selecting the SNAs -- I'd rather have a free night in a standard room (assuming they still offer that) than five free upgrades to a suite, especially since they can't be confirmed at booking. The best you can do is to hope. Heck, I'm about to meet the Marriott lifetime platinum criteria -- lifetime plat premier in the new program. I certainly wouldn't complain if I were to be given two choice benefits a year, regardless of whether or not I stay enough to qualify, but I don't anticipate it, either.

The asterisk is clearly visible here: https://members.marriott.com/benefits/ .

Last edited by jsloan; Apr 22, 2018 at 12:04 pm Reason: grammar and clarity
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:09 am

I always select the SNAs ( or sometimes the system does it for me because Under the SPG rules there was a time limit to make a choice from that list....and the default reverts to the SNAs).
I got a new lot of 10 last month for passing the old threshold ( 50 nights)
I like to have them to try to secure a nice suite at some of the better properties . Sometimes it has worked extremely well ( Lisbon, Bangkok, Paris), sometimes not bad ( Madrid, Athens), sometimes not at all ( NYC, London)....and in the latter the failure meant they expired.
Marriott folk unfamiliar with them may think this is a great feature but any excitement should be tempered by the reality: eg, you won't know if the SNA is successful until just a few days before the stay; sometimes you will get a suite that you probably would have got as a usual upgrade without the application of the SNA; sometimes they expire without being able to use them.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:16 am

Yes, 25% extra points is barely any difference.

48 hour availability is almost never handy and excludes high demand dates (oh, were booked out, too bad) which is the only time you'd use them for, you also get charged an insane premium

If this is the case then it makes absolutely no sense to obtain PP over Platinum if you aren't getting it through nights.
Actually it's a 50% higher bonus ( or, as you've described it ,an extra 25% in flat terms).
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
You guys clearly care. More suite night certificates means less chance of suite for you - that is why you are getting so sensitive.

The only place there is an asterisk is on Lucky's blog through a fan made chart, not on any of their official marketing details.
Of course this is if you are under the assumption that the SNA will be granted. Too many people seem to have high expectations of these coming through. Choosing less popular properties greatly increase your chance of it being granted. Heaven only knows how these will play out once MPG is in full gear. Good luck.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Angry

I'm now worried that as a LT Plat (now PP?) I'll lose out on suite upgrades to people who are earning the certificates every year.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by njcommodore
I'm now worried that as a LT Plat (now PP?) I'll lose out on suite upgrades to people who are earning the certificates every year.
Not much to worry about there. Most times the SNAs get rejected especially at the more popular properties. Of course that's presuming the current MR properties learn/use the same tricks the current SPG properties use. It was a way to encourage to continue doing stays and getting something out of it (even if worthless).
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Not much to worry about there. Most times the SNAs get rejected especially at the more popular properties. Of course that's presuming the current MR properties learn/use the same tricks the current SPG properties use. It was a way to encourage to continue doing stays and getting something out of it (even if worthless).
While I agree, I would also posit that in those cases, a Platinum Premier arriving at check-in would not get a complimentary suite upgrade anyway.

Prioritizing currently active members over less-active lifetime members is clearly a goal; they presumably see SNAs as a way to try to keep people invested in staying at Marriott properties even after earning lifetime status.
kennycrudup and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:31 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Karma is a beautiful thing. Irony is, too.

While you’re worried about losing out on the suite upgrade benefit (to people who earn and deserve SNAs by staying 50+ and 75+ nights), a benefit that before now never existed for you as a either Marriott Platinum Premier or Lifetime Platinum Premier, the SPG LTP people are worried about losing out on suite upgrades (that they’ve always been able to enjoy) to people like you who are getting higher Lifetime Platinum Premier status.

The adage about “looking a gift horse in the mouth” comes to mind here.

Starwood gave Plats who stayed 50 nights a better chance to get suite upgrades over their Lifetime Plat counterparts and Plat counterparts who simply earned status with stays. Now Marriott is giving Plat50s and Plat75s a better chance to get suite upgrades over their Lifetime counterparts. Fair is fair.

Enjoy your Lifetime Platinum Premier status. But people who actually stay 50+ and 75+ nights have earned their SNAs and increased chances for suite upgrades.
C17PSGR, kennycrudup and nequine like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 22, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:42 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

It’s tough to know how often SNAs get approved and rejected. But being smart and prudent with SNAs makes a big difference in improving chances for SNAs to be approved. I have an almost 100% success rate with SNAs I’ve used the last several years. In the extremely rare instances when an SNA wasn’t approved, I also happened to be upgraded to a suite on arrival, anyway (but I am SPG Plat100 Ambassador level).

Using SNAs for stays at hotels with few suites massively decreases the chance for approval—as there simply aren’t that many standard suites available! This is the biggest reason for people needlessly complaining about SNAs not working well. SNAs work well when people choose more carefully.

Using SNAs for stays during higher occupancy periods (holidays, summer breaks, spring breaks, etc) also massively decreases the chances for approval—as too many standard suites are likely unavailable due to much higher demand.

Using SNAs for longer stays usually decreases the chances for approval—as it’s obviously less likely that any standard suite will be available for longer stays. The longer the stay, the less likely the upgrade chances.

Using SNAs for stays at hotels with many standard suites concomitantly offers better chances for approval. Most luxury level hotels have far more suites, both in absolute number and proportional to the overall room count. As a result, those of us who use SNAs at luxury hotels most often have far more success with SNAs.

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 22, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin

It’s tough to know how often SNAs get approved and rejected. But being smart and prudent with SNAs makes a big difference in improving chances for SNAs to be approved. I have an almost 100% success rate with SNAs I’ve the last several years. In the extremely rare instances when an SNA wasn’t approved, I also happened to be upgraded to a suite on arrival, anyway (but I am SPG Plat100 Ambassador level).

Using SNAs for stays at hotels with few suites massively decreases the chance for approval—as there simply aren’t that many standard suites available! This is the biggest reason for people needlessly complaining about SNAs not working well. SNAs work well when people choose more carefully.

Using SNAs for stays during higher occupancy periods (holidays, summer breaks, spring breaks, etc) also massively decreases the chances for approval—as too many standard suites are likely unavailable due to much higher demand.

Using SNAs for longer stays usually decreases the chances for approval—as it’s obviously less likely that any standard suite will be available for longer stays. The longer the stay, the less likely the upgrade chances.

Using SNAs for stays at hotels with many standard suites concomitantly offers better chances for approval. Most luxury level hotels have far more suites, both in absolute number and proportional to the overall room count. As a result, those of us who use SNAs at luxury hotels most often have far more success with SNAs.
... and unfortunately with FT, we tend to only hear about the failures. The SPG thread on SNAs does have some chiming in about when they have worked, but the failures get posted MUCH more. If you do some planning you can increase your odds, but running in fear that your upgrade chances will be significantly reduced by SNA out there doesn't seem founded.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
... and unfortunately with FT, we tend to only hear about the failures. The SPG thread on SNAs does have some chiming in about when they have worked, but the failures get posted MUCH more. If you do some planning you can increase your odds, but running in fear that your upgrade chances will be significantly reduced by SNA out there doesn't seem founded.
Count me in the camp that has never had a SNA expire (though that doesn't mean a 100% upgrade rate). Have gotten amazing suites all over the world with them the past 6 years. Have also gotten suites at check-in even when my SNAs didn't go through.

It was a great benefit, though with properties apparently getting to "play games" with giving out suites now (per Lucky's post today), it's going to be a lot harder.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Count me in the camp that has never had a SNA expire (though that doesn't mean a 100% upgrade rate). Have gotten amazing suites all over the world with them the past 6 years. Have also gotten suites at check-in even when my SNAs didn't go through.

It was a great benefit, though with properties apparently getting to "play games" with giving out suites now (per Lucky's post today), it's going to be a lot harder.
I understand but have to call out Lucky’s (and many others’) pessimism over the standard suite upgrade benefit. Everyone to my mind is suffering from some short term memory loss.

Everyone was similarly pessimistic about how Marriott might eliminate the guaranteed 4 pm late checkout benefit—Marriott extended that to match Starwood for almost 2 years, and now has matched that for its Platinum members going forward. Everyone was similarly pessimistic about how Marriott might gut the value of Starpoints compared to Marriott points—Marriott came through with flying colors with the 3:1 ratio. Everyone was similarly pessimistic about how Marriott might gut the Starwood airline transfers and bonuses—Marriott continued the program in exactly the same proportions, and supposedly has been added new airline partners. Everyone was pessimistic about how Marriott might gut the Platinum suite upgrade benefit—Marriott has pretty much exactly copied Starwood and maintained that benefit. Everyone was pessimistic about how Marrriott might eliminate the SNAs perk—Marriott has pretty much exactly copied the perk.

The pessimism that some are expressing about how Marriott might play games with suite upgrades is unnecessary and destructive. Marriott has earned plenty of benefit of the doubt here from me. Marriott has largely replicated the SPG program for the largest hotel loyalty program in the world—something almost no one would have expected under the circumstances. Marriott elites are getting far better elite benefits, and Starwood elites can earn much the same benefits as before but with more nights required in the much bigger portfolio.

Enough with the bitterness. Marriott has done a pretty good job in being forthright, transparent, and trying in earnest to blend two loyalty program into one that pretty seamlessly makes most people pretty darn happy. And especially the elites like us! There’s no reason to think now that Marriott isn’t going to exact the same brand standards for which it’s always been well known and try hard to execute those to make sure that the Platinum suite upgrade benefit is honored where and when it’s supposed to be. I’m sure there will be growing pains, but that was true with Starwood, too.

I am sure there will be some properties that play games with suite upgrades. We will call them out and Marriott will help bring them in line just as we did with Starwood.

One has only to look at Hyatt to see how much better Marriott is doing by all of us. Don’t even get me started about the laughably inferior Hilton and IHG loyalty programs that don’t even approach the generosity of the Unified Marriott loyalty program elite benefits.

Too many people are looking the gift horse in the mouth.
oxfordjames and catharsis like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 22, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

I understand but have to call out Lucky’s (and many others’) pessimism over the standard suite upgrade benefit. Everyone to my mind is suffering from some short term memory loss.

Everyone was similarly pessimistic about how Marriott might eliminate the guaranteed 4 pm late checkout benefit—Marriott extended that to match Starwood for almost 2 years, and now has matched that for its Platinum members going forward. Everyone was similarly pessimistic about how Marriott might gut the value of Starpoints compared to Marriott points—Marriott came through with flying colors with the 3:1 ratio. Everyone was similarly pessimistic about how Marriott might gut the Starwood airline transfers and bonuses—Marriott continued the program in exactly the same proportions, and supposedly has been added new airline partners. Everyone was pessimistic about how Marriott might gut the Platinum suite upgrade benefit—Marriott has pretty much exactly copied Starwood and maintained that benefit. Everyone was pessimistic about how Marrriott might eliminate the SNAs perk—Marriott has pretty much exactly copied the perk.

The pessimism that some are expressing about how Marriott might play games with suite upgrades is unnecessary and destructive. Marriott has earned plenty of benefit of the doubt here from me. Marriott has largely replicated the SPG program for the largest hotel loyalty program in the world—something almost no one would have expected under the circumstances. Marriott elites are getting far better elite benefits, and Starwood elites can earn much the same benefits as before but with more nights required in the much bigger portfolio.

Enough with the bitterness. Marriott has done a pretty good job in being forthright, transparent, and trying in earnest to blend two loyalty program into one that pretty seamlessly makes most people pretty darn happy. There’s no reason to think now that Marriott isn’t going to exact the same brand standards for which it’s always been well known and executing those to make sure that the suite upgrade benefit is honored where and when it’s supoosed to be. I’m sure there will be growing pains, but that was true with Starwood, too.

One has only to look at Hyatt to see how much better Marriott is doing by all of us.
Will agree to disagree my friend all I'm saying is that with the combination of 1) tons of SNAs out there, 2) already strengthened suite language (vs. legacy MR terms) and 3) if true, SNAs & suite upgrades being more subjective than objective for each property...I don't think skepticism is unwarranted.

But we shall see...
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Will agree to disagree my friend all I'm saying is that with the combination of 1) tons of SNAs out there, 2) already strengthened suite language (vs. legacy MR terms) and 3) if true, SNAs & suite upgrades being more subjective than objective for each property...I don't think skepticism is unwarranted.

But we shall see...
We will, indeed, my friend!

I remind you that most Marriott elites are used to staying at non-luxury brands at which I likely will never bother to use any SNAs. Heck, most of the Starwood elites that complained so often here on FT about not getting suite upgrades were almost always staying at comparable non-luxury brands at which I’d also never use an SNA. Sorry, but most of the complaints from Starwood elites in the past were about upgrades not going through for Sheraton and Westin hotels and resorts that never had many suites in the first place, and too often during stays over holiday periods. Sorry, but most of the complaints likely to come from the Marriott side will be about suite upgrades not going through at Marriott and Renaissance hotels and resorts that don’t have many suites or too often during stays over holiday periods.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver

Karma is a beautiful thing. Irony is, too.

While you’re worried about losing out on the suite upgrade benefit (to people who earn and deserve SNAs by staying 50+ and 75+ nights), a benefit that before now never existed for you as a either Marriott Platinum Premier or Lifetime Platinum Premier, the SPG LTP people are worried about losing out on suite upgrades (that they’ve always been able to enjoy) to people like you who are getting higher Lifetime Platinum Premier status.

The adage about “looking a gift horse in the mouth” comes to mind here.

Starwood gave Plats who stayed 50 nights a better chance to get suite upgrades over their Lifetime Plat counterparts and Plat counterparts who simply earned status with stays. Now Marriott is giving Plat50s and Plat75s a better chance to get suite upgrades over their Lifetime counterparts. Fair is fair.

Enjoy your Lifetime Platinum Premier status. But people who actually stay 50+ and 75+ nights have earned their SNAs and increased chances for suite upgrades.

Well said, and as a current MR LTP and soon to be LTPP I couldn't agree more. I will be very happy to continue getting the benefits I have been in the current program PLUS an additional 25% bonus points! Not bad IMO.

All my travel is leisure, and while I don't usually stay 75+ nights anymore, I do stay a good number of nights; 68 this year if plans pan out. No, I will not do a mattress run to get 7 more nights. So if/when I get SNAs I'll try using them, but won't hold my breath on them working. Traveling single, lounge is much more important to me than a suite. Also I prefer properties that are not isolated, whereas, traveling couples may relish more isolation. I think that is one of the big differences between SPG and MR members is they chose their primary program for the benefits that are of importance to their type of travel. SPG member value suite upgrades over lounge access. While both programs' Plats get lounge access, almost all Marriott, Renaissance, and JW Marriotts have lounges which is a lot more choices than the few Westins and Sheratons which I avoid as the ones I have stayed at came up lacking (Anchorage, Milwaukee Brookfield). Now Sheraton Full Moon was nice and I also plan on staying at Sheraton Bratislava next year which has received rave reviews as one of the nicest Sheratons in the stable.

90%+ of my travel is international and while there are a lot of awesome international Marriott properties I welcome the SPG properties being added to my choices. SPG has always been my 2nd favorite program and I have stayed at a few including Sheraton Maldives and Venice Gritti Palace. One SPGer described these properties, among others, as aspirational. Hey they were exceptionally nice properties, but I don't know if I would leap to aspirational, but then again it is in the eye of the beholder. I actually like JW Marriott Phuket better with their beautiful grounds, 3 large pools, 4+ restaurants and beach massages. Other MRers rave about the Phuket Renaissance, where i have also stayed, as they will upgrade you in advance to Pool villas, which was very nice; but two pools (one of which is small), 2+ restaurants, and their regular rooms are meh.

I do use the 48 hour guarantee, and while some MR FTers have bemoaned it saying you only get exorbitant rates, that has not been my experience. I just used it for a reservation early last week as I had to change the departure for my current RTW trip from April 4 to April 14 due to a last minute emergency root canal. Instead of my previous week reservation at Sydney Harbour Marriott at 280 AUD/night, they wanted 450-500 AUD/night. I looked at Pier One (not signed in) and they were sold out; I signed in and they had a room for 350 AUD/night fully cancellable rate which I booked immediately. So 48 hour guarantee is important to me.

So bottom line is I am grateful for future LTPP for the extra 25%, 48 hour guarantee and possible SNAs if I stay a lot. I also think SPG Plats with 750 SPG LT nights and 700K SPG LT points should be made LTPP, but I have no skin in that game.

FWIW, I do have a pet peeve about how SNAs have been presented as a benefit. As implied by all these posts and the rules themselves, SNAs are NOT a Plat or PP benefit and IMPO should be removed from the P and PP benefit list and listed as a separate milestone number of stays benefit. It would avoid a lot of confusion from the LT Marriott folks and would more accurately represent what they actually are IMO.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Apr 22, 2018 at 4:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.