Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott LTPs should have gotten LTP - not LTPP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott LTPs should have gotten LTP - not LTPP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by dannybhoy
Why case-by-case basis? Those SPG LTPs who have exceeded 750 nights should be grandfathered to the future LTPPE. What makes 750 Marriott nights worth more than 750 SPG nights (other than "the victors set the rules")? If it's a question of points earned, even a barely over 500 night SPG LTP such as myself had earned the lifetime SPG equivalent of more than 2 million MR points. And without co-branding credit card dopage to boot.
What makes the Marriott nights worth more is the fact that Marriott received the proceeds from those nights and received nothing from the SPG nights. Now the real question is whether leaving SPG LTPs at Platinum hurts future earnings. Are an appreciable number willing to leave for this move? Obviously their thoughts are no.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Ultimately, the people at Marriott Rewards knew that some SPG members would be upset about not getting LTPP. That would be pretty easy to predict. So I am sure that MR is expecting to get upset emails from SPG members. It probably won't change anything, though. I am sure whenever changes are made to loyalty/reward programs, some people get upset.

Even though I got upset about the enhancements at AA and Hilton over the past few years, it didn't change the minds of the people making those decisions at AA and Hilton.

The problem is that so many programs have been significantly devalued that there isn't as much competition as there used to be.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Also, you missed the point of my thread:
  • The New 50 night Plat is better than the original MR 75 night Plat/LTP (yes, you are behind others most likely in suite upgrade priority, but you also did not have the new & improved, SPG-sourced suite language originally...arguably a wash)
  • The New 50 night Plat is worse than the original SPG 50 night Plat/LTP (loss of 5 SNAs)
  • Ergo, either 1) make both incoming LTPs the same new 50 night Plat, or 2) give them both the one-off LTPP, or 3) make a path to LTPP for all.
I respect the argument that MR LT Gold had some of the same benefits (lounge access, etc.) so they likely needed to be at that same new Plat level (even if they get a more of a benefit increase, 25% more points, better UG language, 5 SNAs if an annual 50 night Plat, etc.).
I was supportive of qualified SPG LTPs getting LTPP. After your thread, I don't care. If some SPG LTPs take their business elsewhere, it might relieve that problem Margarita Girl was having at the Waikiki Sheraton - too many Plats getting beach chairs, mentioned in your thread. Some have claimed that there are a lot of other choices out there - I've tried several out there. Happy hunting.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
I wrote an e-mail to Marriott that their plan is fair and balanced and not to mind all those pompous complainers.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
I was recently told by a Marriott associate that come August, the highest lifetime tier that would be offered would be platinum; lifetime platinum premier would be non-existent. One would have to requalify for that each year.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
I can see why many of them see it unfair after spending 10 years to earn their lifetime status. As someone who has made plat in both programs the last 5 years, I am only halfway to LTP in SPG but 45 nights away from LTP in Marriott just because of all the rollover nights. The fact that I can be grandfathered into future LTPP after 5 years is incredible
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I think marriott just need to either remove ltpp altogether ... or ... provide way for people to join ltpp rank

750 nights and 10 years plat 75
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:04 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by kaizen7
I think marriott just need to either remove ltpp altogether ... or ... provide way for people to join ltpp rank

750 nights and 10 years plat 75
Thinning of the herd...i have over double the qualifications to be lifetime and have PP status..for years we have asked to have an additional level of benefit for us as we are all pooled in with every other Platinum member.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Viks
I wrote an e-mail to Marriott that their plan is fair and balanced and not to mind all those pompous complainers.
You are who you associate with.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
From the 4th post on the Starwood board. The weird sense of arrogance and self worth people ascrible to their hotel choices will always amaze me.
Staying at a Starwood makes you more sophisticated?Good lord, get a life.

“Marriott bought SPG due to the loyal members, more sophisticated members and awards program.”
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dannybhoy
SPG LTP never had SNAs. You have to earn SNAs every year by (re)qualifying as P50 or higher.
Hence the reason I think they should have listed SNAs as a separate milestone benefit outside of elite status. Doing so would avoid a lot of this confusion, especially in light of SNAs not really being a Plat or Plat Premier benefit. FWIW, as a MR LTP and soon to be new LTPP, I understand and am totally fine with not getting SNAs unless I stay 50/75 nights. Even saying "If you stay 50 nights you will get 5 SNAs and attain Platinum elite status" would have been a lot more accurate than listing SNAs as Plat benefit.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts
From the 4th post on the Starwood board. The weird sense of arrogance and self worth people ascrible to their hotel choices will always amaze me.
Staying at a Starwood makes you more sophisticated?Good lord, get a life.

“Marriott bought SPG due to the loyal members, more sophisticated members and awards program.”
There is such a delicious irony in SPG members being lectured to in the Marriott forum on the topic of ‘sophistication’ by an FT member named “Pretzelsandpeanuts”.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by itsallgood
I was supportive of qualified SPG LTPs getting LTPP. After your thread, I don't care. If some SPG LTPs take their business elsewhere, it might relieve that problem Margarita Girl was having at the Waikiki Sheraton - too many Plats getting beach chairs, mentioned in your thread. Some have claimed that there are a lot of other choices out there - I've tried several out there. Happy hunting.
I have to agree with you. I cringed when I saw that thread. And what is odd, is the OP for that thread is not even in the running for LTP let alone LTPP! I think Canada101 said it best when he/she said:

I don't blame you one bit. In life, I've never gotten into the habit of "counting other people's money" and I frankly don't see the utility of being critical of what others have rightfully and fairly earned.
I would like to think that is the opinion of most SPG members. Just like I don't think most SPG members have the "we are better, smarter, prettier, richer than you" attitude. Lord knows I pride myself on having champagne taste while traveling on a beer budget. And I know many others just like me!

I regret my comment about the SW Plat chairs. It was in response to badm96 complaining that there would be too many Plats at the good properties. (SW only had 12 reserved chairs for Platinum members, so after status was matched, they were inundated with Plats and always had to disappoint some people which led to bad reviews when Plats couldn't get the reserved chairs so SW stopped offering them! That is my favorite resort hotel and I've been there 3-4 times/yr for the last 8 yrs. The Platinum recognition under Kelly Sanders leadership was absolutely outstanding. Sorry to see it disappear, as has Mr Sanders.)

Whether Marriott decides to grant me LTPP will not affect my loyalty. It would be great, but I have no intention of moving on. I don't see the grass being any greener anywhere else. I think Marriott is trying very hard to keep the best of both programs. There were a few hiccups with the launch (I just about had a heart attack when I read that there would me no lounge access at resorts) but hopefully everything will be straightened out by Aug 1 and we will have a loyalty program that will be envied by others when all is said and done.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks to all three of you for your sensible comments.

I too have been cringing at some of the posts since Monday's announcement, but as a LTP on both sides (with 100% BIB nights, nothing from credit cards, meetings, second/third rooms not occupied by me, or even nights count double targeted promos as I just learned today, and a high enough total night count when SPG and Marriott are added together that it's very tempting to get into "mine's bigger than your's" contests), I really don't have any skin in the game at the moment, so I've been reluctant to say too much.
iflyjetz likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by sinfonia
I was recently told by a Marriott associate that come August, the highest lifetime tier that would be offered would be platinum; lifetime platinum premier would be non-existent. One would have to requalify for that each year.
That makes sense, since the word "grandfathered" is used to apply to current Life Plats like me. If there is a 75-night Lifetime tier going forward, there wouldn't be anything to "grandfather" us into.

I guess I'll be a proud "Life Pee Pee" come August. We'll be a vanishing breed as soon as the new program kicks in as no one will qualify for that Lifetime level in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.