Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Name Change Coming to the Combined MR & SPG Programs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Name Change Coming to the Combined MR & SPG Programs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I did a search of U.S. trademarks and Marriott hasn't filed anything new, at least for now.
Good work hockeyinsider. So "Multiverse of Marriott" still has a chance.
unclepants likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Curious where the Club Marquis fits in all this as I was a member of that along with something specific to Courtyard properties that required a $10 yearly payment. I can't remember what I received in exchange for the $10
Some say on Marriott insiders that Club Marquis exsisted in the late 1970's. I am thinking that Club Marquis was an elite level of Marriott Honored Guest program.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
We currently do not know what the tiers will be (maybe more away from metals?) nor do we know what the requirements will be (maybe move to a spend component?). So all we have are guesses. One thing for sure is if the new program makes short term MRs useless, then stays/nights could drop off. I especially think those that have/want one of the many SPG Plat levels will stop trying to bump their counts if it's not going to help. I've seen this way too many times when we are getting close to releasing a new product, current product sales tank waiting for the latest and greatest to hit the streets.
So is asinine a polite way of saying "extremely stupid or foolish"?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
"Stays req'd to trigger Plat status" It won't be stay based it will be 75 nights minimum. Exchange rate will remain the same at 3:1. When some new program details are announced on April 16 it will have no effect on stays in the latter half of 2018.
And for all of these, you may be right, but you may be wrong.

So is asinine a polite way of saying "extremely stupid or foolish"?
Not necessarily any more or less polite, just a synonym.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I like the name "Club Marriott," which is the name of its combined legacy Marriott and legacy Starwood dining loyalty program in Asia and the Pacific.

Regardless, I'm willing to bet some branding consultancy is making a lot of money (probably by the hour) coming up with name options for the new program.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Some say on Marriott insiders that Club Marquis exsisted in the late 1970's. I am thinking that Club Marquis was an elite level of Marriott Honored Guest program.
I received a short handwritten note from my Ambassador recently thanking me for 31 years -- so 87. I joined because I was traveling with some colleagues who pushed me to sign up for what they called the "Club Marquis" program. Seems like I used to have a black card and when checking in, people would confirm their "Marquis number" was in the reservation. Maybe it was a level but I thought it was the common name for the program. I think Marriott Honored Guest came later. I do know the program only earned points at Marriott properties. I joined the Courtyard specific program later. I can't remember the name and don't remember what the value was for paying a $10 annual fee.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Good work hockeyinsider. So "Multiverse of Marriott" still has a chance.
Unless some intrepid FT'er grabs it first

I joined the Courtyard specific program later. I can't remember the name and don't remember what the value was for paying a $10 annual fee.
It was "Courtyard Club". I think I still have my original membership card buried in a drawer somewhere. I joined around 1990 and it had been in existence for a little while (maybe 2-3 years) that point.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
One thing that I have thought about several times with all of this speculation is the wording from the email I got last year from Marriott regarding the programs for 2018:

Marriott Rewards®, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® and SPG® will remain separate programs. While we continue to work with SPG to create a combined program, you can continue booking at the properties you love and earning points like you have been doing. We want you to be the first to know as we make updates, so here a are few updates for 2018:
I am noticing what is not in this statement. I have been looking through my email from Marriott, and I can't find anything explicitly stating that the programs will remain separate throughout 2018. Specifically, this just says they will remain separate without stating how long they will remain that way. It doesn't say it will remain separate for all of 2018. It just gives updates for 2018.

I also watched the link to the video posted here where Arne was talking about the program being rolled out later this year. Is there a formal document/email from Marriott explicitly saying that the programs will remain separate for all of 2018?

Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by jeanie
I also watched the link to the video posted here where Arne was talking about the program being rolled out later this year. Is there a formal document/email from Marriott explicitly saying that the programs will remain separate for all of 2018?
Valid point but it would wreak havoc ... across the multiverse ... if they combined the program during the year. For example, would qualification be based on the lower SPG standards or the higher Marriott standards.

A name seems easy so you think they would have it down to no more than one or two at this point.
The new program design seems like they should be really close by now but not super complicated.

I'm impressed that no one is leaking either of these.

The main issue I presume is having a fully debugged reservation system that can be implemented at all properties around the world. That's pretty complicated.

Hopefully, its not being done by the same people working on the website who don't know the difference in spelling or code proofing regarding Premiere vs Premier and recognize that when people looking for ORD, they mean an airport hotel near O'Hare, as opposed to a hotel in Ordu, Turkey.
jeanie likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I am noticing what is not in this statement. I have been looking through my email from Marriott, and I can't find anything explicitly stating that the programs will remain separate throughout 2018. Specifically, this just says they will remain separate without stating how long they will remain that way. It doesn't say it will remain separate for all of 2018. It just gives updates for 2018.
At this point, you should likely assume that the programs are separate for this year, and that there will be no combining of joint SPG/MR nights for 2019 status. Crazy but we have been given no indication otherwise.
C17PSGR and Disconnections like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Valid point but it would wreak havoc ... across the multiverse ... if they combined the program during the year. For example, would qualification be based on the lower SPG standards or the higher Marriott standards.

That's a very good point. If they waited for the merged loyalty programs until the end of 2018, then the SPG and MR members could each qualify for 2019 with their own programs. But if the programs were merged in 2018, requalifying for 2019 could get complicated.

I hope they wait to combine the programs until 2019, and look forward to any clarification that will come with this party on April 16. As I have posted before, I expect a devaluation of the program. I haven't seen any loyalty/rewards programs get better over the past few years. So I don't expect this to get better, either. But it would be nice to know what is happening.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm for this!! Earn in one reality, redeem in another!
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Unless some intrepid FT'er grabs it first

It was "Courtyard Club". I think I still have my original membership card buried in a drawer somewhere. I joined around 1990 and it had been in existence for a little while (maybe 2-3 years) that point.
You need a darned good reason to get a trademark. It's not like reserving a hotel room.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JackE
You need a darned good reason to get a trademark.
The only reason you need is that you want to protect your intellectual property.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't seen any loyalty/rewards programs get better over the past few years.
It may not be a rewards program you've been paying attention to, but I would think most poeple feel that WyndhamRewards has improved over the past couple years, going from no elite status at all to at least a hint of elite status, going from redemption all over the map to a flat 15k points for any hotel in the system, etc.

But of course it's easier to go up when you start at the bottom.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It may not be a rewards program you've been paying attention to, but I would think most poeple feel that WyndhamRewards has improved over the past couple years, going from no elite status at all to at least a hint of elite status, going from redemption all over the map to a flat 15k points for any hotel in the system, etc.

But of course it's easier to go up when you start at the bottom.
My guess is Marriott may do another intermediate step in more closely aligning the two programs starting in 2019 and not doing a full merge until 2020 or 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.