Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

SPECULATION: Will Marriott add a new, higher lifetime status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

Just crossed 3MM points and 1600 lifetime nights...... maybe the new program will include a higher tier of lifetime status if MRtakes any of the SPG program tiers where there are higher platinum levels........
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Just crossed 3MM points and 1600 lifetime nights...... maybe the new program will include a higher tier of lifetime status if MRtakes any of the SPG program tiers where there are higher platinum levels........
In my dreams...

Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
in my nightmares

Originally Posted by lexdevil
In my dreams...

Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Srisarin
in my nightmares
I was referring to/dreaming of a modicum of recognition. . .but your point is well taken.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by lexdevil
I was referring to/dreaming of a modicum of recognition. . .but your point is well taken.
And we know most of those were done chaperoning kids. Yikes!
SCEflyer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
And we know most of those were done chaperoning kids. Yikes!
Indeed. Though I can't deny that rollover and credit card nights played a role as well.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
Has anyone noticed their points earned over the past 2-3 months haven't been added to their lifetime total? I barely crossed 2 million at the end of 2017 and noticed today I'm now only at 2.011 million despite earning 30-40k points so far this year. Not a big deal if 2 MM is the top lifetime goal forever, but if the rumors come true that they add another lifetime tier then I don't want to miss out.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by JonasCLT
Has anyone noticed their points earned over the past 2-3 months haven't been added to their lifetime total? I barely crossed 2 million at the end of 2017 and noticed today I'm now only at 2.011 million despite earning 30-40k points so far this year. Not a big deal if 2 MM is the top lifetime goal forever, but if the rumors come true that they add another lifetime tier then I don't want to miss out.
I see a few people on this board wanting a higher tier. But in my mind wanting a higher tier doesn't equal rumors of a higher tier. I wouldn't make any changes to my behaviors based on a few people wanting a higher lifetime tier.

I realize it's a different program, but I have been lifetime platinum on AA for a long time now. There are a lot of frequent fliers that would love a lifetime platinum pro or executive platinum on AA. It would be nice if it happened, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. I'm not holding my breath for a higher lifetime tier than platinum for Marriott, either.

Nowadays, programs get worse when they merge, not better. I don't know how that will affect lifetime status with Marriott/Starwood/Ritz.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jeanie
I see a few people on this board wanting a higher tier. But in my mind wanting a higher tier doesn't equal rumors of a higher tier. I wouldn't make any changes to my behaviors based on a few people wanting a higher lifetime tier.
The problem is that if you combine lifetime nights and points from two programs but keep the requirements the same, you get a massive increase in the number of members who qualify. Using the 3:1 SPG:MRP ratio, there will be so many people with 1MIL+ points in the combined program who got there from credit card use alone that the lifetime ranks would be flooded if they don't boost requirements (while grandfathering the past, as promised). Something like 1K nights and 5MIL points from combined prograns would be a much more reasonable top level, especially if they sweeten it a tad beyond the current Plat tier perks to create a new level. Hopefully we'll see soon... It is getting a bit late in the game for them to announce, so I suspect we'll hear soon.

Last edited by mooper; Mar 22, 2018 at 4:11 am
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by mooper
The problem is that if you combine lifetime nights and points from two programs but keep the requirements the same, you get a massive increase in the number of members who qualify. Using the 3:1 SPG:MRP ratio, there will be so many people with 1MIL+ points in the combined program who got there from credit card use alone that the lifetime ranks would be flooded if they don't boost requirements (while grandfathering the past, as promised). Something like 1K nights and 5MIL points from combined prograns would be a much more reasonable top level, especially if they sweeten it a tad beyond the current Plat tier perks to create a new level. Hopefully we'll see soon... It is getting a bit late in the game for them to announce, so I suspect we'll hear soon.
I disagree with your logic. Rather than absolute numbers, the critical factor is the percentage of lifetime elite members. Sure the absolute (total) number of lifetime elite members will go up; however, so will the absolute (total) number of non-elite members and the total number of properties. That said, I am all for some level beyond the current MR Lifetime Platinum. E.g. create a Lifetime Platinum Premiere level that has some well defined extra benefits as well as higher qualification criteria. I am not familiar with the details of the SPG Program, so can't directly comment on what the super-set of MR and SPG Lifetime Platinum Elite qualifications would be nor what the benefits would be. The key in my mind is that the best of both programs is kept, so that all members see the combination as true enhancements rather than loss of some privileges. We should know one way or another by the end of the year.

--Jon
JackE likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by JonasCLT
I have noticed, but I am also one of those people who mysteriously lost lifetime points when I looked online recently, so not sure if those two things are connected in some weird IT sort of way. When I contacted Marriott customer service about my lost lifetime points, they could see the right number on their end, but for some reason that Marriott has yet to explain to me and others who have experienced this problem, the lifetime points showing online and in the app are incorrect. You may want to contact Marriott directly to see if the number they see on their end syncs to what you were expecting to see on your end.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:32 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
I disagree with your logic. Rather than absolute numbers, the critical factor is the percentage of lifetime elite members. Sure the absolute (total) number of lifetime elite members will go up; however, so will the absolute (total) number of non-elite members and the total number of properties.
Since Marriott has already stated that anyone with a current LT status will keep that status, when the programs are combined, the % will stay the same from that alone. (i.e. if Marriott has 100 LT members out off 1000 total members + SPG has 10 LT members out of 100 total members, the combined program will start out with 110 LT member out of 1100 members). But that isn't where it will stop. There will be some number of folks that don't yet have LT status in either program, but if you combine the LT nights/points from both programs together they could now meet the current requirements. So that means the total # of members with LT status will be more than 110 members. I have no idea how many that would be. So I can't say whether it will cause a big swelling of the LT ranks or whether the effect will be negligible. But I'd guess Marriott can figure that out before they decide on how they want to combine the programs and what, if any, changes they will make to LT status requirements.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
I disagree with your logic. Rather than absolute numbers, the critical factor is the percentage of lifetime elite members. Sure the absolute (total) number of lifetime elite members will go up; however, so will the absolute (total) number of non-elite members and the total number of properties.
People who are lifetime silver in both might be lifetime platinum when points and nights are combined. That increases the percentage of lifetime platinum.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
hhoope01 and sethb, I had considered that there would be some overlap where some people were already Lifetime Platinum in both programs; however, I didn't think about those who were close but not Lifetime Platinum (or some other lower Lifetime Elite level) in either program. Yes that will probably inflate the numbers but how much is hard to stay. I am still not worried about it inflating the percentage of elites too much. Maybe naive thinking on my part. Time will tell....

--Jon
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by mooper
I doubt MR will just add LT nights from MR and SPG together, this since MR LT nights and SPG LT nights are apples and oranges.
I would not be surprised if MR in the merged program would introduce new LT criteria along the line of base nights, i.e. butt in bed nights, and maybe base points relating to $ spent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.