Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

New lounge requirement at international properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
While not bound by the treaty, any vintner with an international business is going to find it difficult to export sparkling wine marketed as champagne if it isn't legitimate.
They are 100% legitimate, even if some wine snobs prefer to believe otherwise. And I believe Korbel does quite well internationally.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And I believe Korbel does quite well internationally.
Depends on your definition of "quite well". While e.g. Freixenet is prominently available in most countries I have been traveling to, Korbel has only crossed my path within the USA. And honestly as someone who drinks sparkling wine frequently I would not really buy Korbel even if it would be offered here after a few tastes in the US...

As to London hotels offering Cava in their lounge, I thought that their choice was not bad - the Codorniu they serve is something I buy frequently by choice for consumption at home...so I certainly would not complain being served that when staying at the JW.

Regards,

Dirk
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I'd just like the lounges back in the UK hotels I frequent that have closed them! You really miss somewhere to sit and read etc. that either isn't your room or the bar.
LF72 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Srisarin
If you were an SPG Lifer, you would
and how many Marriott lifers would know the difference between Andre and Dom?

FWIW this 'SPG lifer' enjoys many types of Cava and Prosecco depending on the producer, method and occasion.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
My post had NOTHING to do with taste but with “delusions of granduer” that eventually led the Starwood brand into the fire sale crapper

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
and how many Marriott lifers would know the difference between Andre and Dom?

FWIW this 'SPG lifer' enjoys many types of Cava and Prosecco depending on the producer, method and occasion.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Srisarin
My post had NOTHING to do with taste but with “delusions of granduer” that eventually led the Starwood brand into the fire sale crapper
Fire sale? My HOT stock did pretty well, partly thanks to Anbang/Chinese pushing the Mormons to make a counter-offer. Trust me, there was no delusions of granduer in the offerings of the Sheraton Club Lounges. Sure the SPG program was/is far more generous but I have a feeling MR will look a little more like SPG when all is said and done as the Marriott beancounters and CEO realize a solid loyalty program is cheaper than having to pay commissions to Travelocity or have customers jump ship to another chain.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:02 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Another chain - now that was funny.
Like Hilton and their secret devaluations or Hyatt and their almost nothing footprint and strange loyalty names ?

Only thing I agree on is that (1) Marriott DID overpay. Should have left the table and let SPG be bought by Anbang.... oh I forgot, Anbang is history and (2) SPG was overly generous and forced to sell because of their generocity that won’t be matched by Marriott (this isn't United becoming Continental)

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Fire sale? My HOT stock did pretty well, partly thanks to Anbang/Chinese pushing the Mormons to make a counter-offer. Trust me, there was no delusions of granduer in the offerings of the Sheraton Club Lounges. Sure the SPG program was/is far more generous but I have a feeling MR will look a little more like SPG when all is said and done as the Marriott beancounters and CEO realize a solid loyalty program is cheaper than having to pay commissions to Travelocity or have customers jump ship to another chain.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Yes the fact that Marriott overpaid plus elimination of their one serious competitor will rain pain on both sides of the SPG/Marriott house in the very near future.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm both, so I'm pretty confused on what I'm expected to like and not like via these grand generalizations.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm both, so I'm pretty confused on what I'm expected to like and not like via these grand generalizations.
You're only expected to better understand reality, rather than the fiction that has permeated the Marriott forum (and I assume the SPG forum) since the announcement.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
And back to the champagne/sparking wine discussion...
DenverBrian and lexdevil like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
If this is true, why not the US as well? Marriott really bothers me will all its exceptions and carve outs when it comes to benefits especially since they have phonebook after phonebook of developed SOP's. Those 3 quick knocks on the door followed by "room service" aren't chainwide by accident.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by joshua362
If this is true, why not the US as well? Marriott really bothers me will all its exceptions and carve outs when it comes to benefits especially since they have phonebook after phonebook of developed SOP's. Those 3 quick knocks on the door followed by "room service" aren't chainwide by accident.
You mean 3 quick knocks on the door followed by "Fresh Bites" aren't chainwide by accident. Couldn't resist

--Jon
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by OP
Originally Posted by joshua362
If this is true, why not the US as well?
If there's one thing I truly hope the SPG/MR merger will achieve, it's to dispel the rather insular MR notion that the world is divided into 'domestic' and 'international'.

How about re-imagining the wording of the OP as :

"I'm told by a Renaissance property general manager that Marriott is requiring all of its properties with executive lounges, concierge lounges, or M Club lounges [with the exception of the USA] to offer a complimentary sparkling wine"

itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
If there's one thing I truly hope the SPG/MR merger will achieve, it's to dispel the rather insular MR notion that the world is divided into 'domestic' and 'international'.

How about re-imagining the wording of the OP as :

"I'm told by a Renaissance property general manager that Marriott is requiring all of its properties with executive lounges, concierge lounges, or M Club lounges [with the exception of the USA] to offer a complimentary sparkling wine"

I think the issue is that most of the domestic properties are franchised. Marriott probably has less room to innovate as they do internationally, where most of the properties are managed by Marriott International. Just look at how long it took Marriott to force some of the domestic owners to renovate their properties.

And if they did have sparkling wine in domestic lounges it would probably be a $5 bottle of junk, like th $5-7 wine that they serve in honor bars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.