Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

New lounge requirement at international properties

Old Mar 14, 18, 10:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

I'm told by a Renaissance property general manager that Marriott is requiring all of its international properties with executive lounges, concierge lounges, or M Club lounges to offer a complimentary sparkling wine.
happygolucky_nomad and LF72 like this.
Old Mar 14, 18, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I clicked on the thread expecting bad news...nice to hear!
Old Mar 14, 18, 7:18 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Mar 14, 18, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
If true, don't count on Dom but a very cheap Prosecco

Originally Posted by JBord View Post
I clicked on the thread expecting bad news...nice to hear!
Old Mar 14, 18, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Does Pepsico make sparkling wine? I'm sure Marriott will be all over that.
Old Mar 15, 18, 4:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Srisarin View Post

Or cava (Spanish sparkling wine), which the London hotels were serving in November 2017.
Old Mar 15, 18, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I really hope no one would expect free Dom at a hotel where a room can be had for $120/night.
itsaboutthejourney and CPRich like this.
Old Mar 15, 18, 11:31 am
Suspended

If you were an SPG Lifer, you would

I really hope no one would expect free Dom at a hotel where a room can be had for $120/night.
C17PSGR, CJKatl and JBord like this.
Old Mar 15, 18, 1:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

One thing that I've never booked are the Marriott packages that come with champagne. Almost every full-service property in the vast portfolio of Marriott brands -- Marriott, Renaissance, J.W. Marriott -- is advertised by Marriott as having a package that includes a bottle of champagne.

I've never once seen the champagne label disclosed, but I suspect some of these properties are actually calling Italian or Spanish sparkling wine "champagne." I say that because a couple of the hotels I've stayed at had no legitimate champagne on the wine list of the bar or restaurant.

It reminds me of the Canadian airline that was sued recently for advertising champagne when it was serving non-French sparkling wine.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Mar 15, 18 at 5:55 pm
Old Mar 15, 18, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat, WN A
pvn and MotelRomeo like this.
Old Mar 16, 18, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Old Mar 16, 18, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
It reminds me of the Canadian airline that was sued recently for advertising champagne when it was serving non-French sparkling wine.
There are non-French sparkling wines that are validly called champagne.
Old Mar 16, 18, 6:26 pm
Suspended

not correct

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
There are non-French sparkling wines that are validly called champagne.
Old Mar 16, 18, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
not correct
Very common misconception, based on ignorance of the facts. The key is that the U.S. never signed the Treaty of Versailles, so they were not bound by France's demands. Here's an article explaining the situation from Wine Spectator:
The French wanted to protect the use of the term "Champagne" to only refer to bubbly made using traditional methods from grapes grown and vinified in the Champagne region of France, so when the Treaty of Versailles was signed in 1919 to end WWI, they included limits on the use of the word. History buffs may recall that the United States never actually ratified the Treaty of Versailles, and that in 1919 the U.S. was in the midst of Prohibition, so alcohol-labeling laws hardly seemed important at the time. This created the loophole that allowed producers here to legally slap the word "Champagne" on their bottles of bubbly - much to the irritation of the winegrowers in Champagne. Out of respect and to avoid confusion, many producers in the United States called their bubbly "sparkling wine," even when it's made in the traditional method.

Then, in early 2006, the United States and the European Union signed a wine trade agreement, and the issue was brought up again. This time, the United States agreed to not allow new uses of certain terms that were previously considered to be "semi-generic," such as Champagne (as well as Burgundy, Chablis, Port and Chianti). But anyone who already had an approved label was grandfathered in and may continue to use the term.
Reference: http://www.winespectator.com/drvinny/show/id/5011
and http://www.winespectator.com/drvinny...un-Facts-54221
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 16, 18, 7:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
The key is that the U.S. never signed the Treaty of Versailles, so they were not bound by France's demands.
Actually, the United States signed the treaty. It wasn't ratified by the U.S. Senate. Big difference.

While not bound by the treaty, any vintner with an international business is going to find it difficult to export sparkling wine marketed as champagne if it isn't legitimate.

Search this Thread