Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever received a wake-up call after requesting it via the Marriott app?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone ever received a wake-up call after requesting it via the Marriott app?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA

I've never gotten one.... but when I ask the front desk about it during check out, they always have no trouble seeing it in their system....
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yes, in Berlin. They asked me about it during check-in.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
yes, in Berlin. They asked me about it during check-in.
during check-in? that probably only works for someone who needs wake-up calls at the same time every morning, no?

I thought the whole point of the wake-up call request in the Marriott app was so that you can do it quickly from your room.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I have used the Marriott twice for wake-up calls on day of departure. I think at least one of those times I inquired at the front desk if the request got through and it was unclear to me that although they could see the request that the call would have been made. This was at a Marriott in New Orleans. The other may have been near RDU and perhaps it was the same scenario since I never got a recognition of the request for a wake-up call.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xeno
I have used the Marriott twice for wake-up calls on day of departure. I think at least one of those times I inquired at the front desk if the request got through and it was unclear to me that although they could see the request that the call would have been made. This was at a Marriott in New Orleans. The other may have been near RDU and perhaps it was the same scenario since I never got a recognition of the request for a wake-up call.
I think the best reply that I got was from the Marriott near DCA. I asked the front desk clerk why I never got a wake-up call.

She paused for two seconds, as if nobody had ever asked such a shocking question, then said

"sorry, Mr. C********, yes, I do see the request that you made on the phone... but for some reason our system didn't call you at 5AM... if you have your phone, you can also set an alarm on built-in clock app, here, let me show you..."

At that moment I felt like either a 99-year-old or a 9-year-old. (probably not a 9-year-old, since I know plenty of 9-year-olds who are more capable of working the smartphones than me)
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Think this is a solution in search of a problem and/or Marriott will use it to get rid of clocks in the room...
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by geometry
I thought the whole point of the wake-up call request in the Marriott app was so that you can do it quickly from your room.
If that's "the whole point", it's clearly quicker to use your phone's built-in alarm.

It does seem entirely surplus to requirements to have to open the Marriott app and set a wake-up, for the app to tell the Marriott hotel, and then the hotel to set the alarm (whether all that is automatic or not).

The front desk's suggestion to set an alarm directly using your phone's capability to do so, seems a) a lot easier and b) a lot less likely to go wrong.

What is the scenario where it is better NOT to use the phone's built-in alarm capability ?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:14 am

I always set the alarm on my phone, but the clocks in the rooms can vary in dependability.

When I ask the hotel to do a wake-up call it is because I am exhausted and want to make sure I can get up at 3 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by geometry
"sorry, Mr. C********, yes, I do see the request that you made on the phone... but for some reason our system didn't call you at 5AM...
Sounds like the request was left open in GXi and nobody saw it until you complained about it...

One property that I know doesn’t use GXi overnight and another property still didn’t train any of their agents to use it.

Personally, if it’s something important, I’d recommend calling the FD instead of Mobile Chat or Mobile Requests so it actually gets completed.

Last edited by Disconnections; Feb 27, 2018 at 10:25 am
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If you have to go to the app to do the request, isn't it just as easy to pick up the phone in the room & dial the front desk to request the wake-up call?

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If you have to go to the app to do the request, isn't it just as easy to pick up the phone in the room & dial the front desk to request the wake-up call?

Cheers.
Not when you are away from the hotel in a meeting or working meal off-site.

Last edited by Xeno; Feb 27, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Xeno
Not when you are aware from the hotel in a meeting or working meal off-site.
True, but speaking only for myself when I do wake-up calls I usually call from the room just before I go to sleep. If I'm in the room I think calling the front desk makes more sense to ask for a wake-up than using mobile app to request it.

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
True, but speaking only for myself when I do wake-up calls I usually call from the room just before I go to sleep. If I'm in the room I think calling the front desk makes more sense to ask for a wake-up than using mobile app to request it.

Cheers.
IMO, taking responsibility upon yourself to set the alarm on your smartphone makes more sense to me.

Having worked during college for four years at a front desk of a hotel I can tell you that missed wake-up calls happen every single day.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by controller1
IMO, taking responsibility upon yourself to set the alarm on your smartphone makes more sense to me.

Having worked during college for four years at a front desk of a hotel I can tell you that missed wake-up calls happen every single day.
I didn't say I don't set wake-up calls on my phone. That's my first method. The back-up is setting a wake-up w/ the hotel & I do that directly vs. relying on a mobile app.

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:15 am
Original Poster

I didn't say I don't set wake-up calls on my phone. That's my first method. The back-up is setting a wake-up w/ the hotel & I do that directly vs. relying on a mobile app.

Cheers.
I do set my own alarm on my phone and/or travel clock....

I'm merely bothered by the fact that Marriott offers a product(the app) and that it doesn't work as advertised. (not that I'm surprised, of course)
DJ_Iceman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.