Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Employee Rate Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Employee Rate Help

Hey guys. So first off, I want to make it clear that I am a marriott employee. I have all the proper codes as well as credentials. However, I had a question that I quite frankly feel weird asking my manager.

I work PT at a marriott hotel but recently I've gotten a (non hotel) job offer that is full time, and I can't pass it up. I could technically work both jobs but it would be tiring. My manager said that if I stuck with them for the full amount of days I currently work, they'd give me one day or so every pay period once they got someone new. Mainly so that I could keep my discount, as I do use it quite often, and I already have a few trips planned in a few months. They said that I have to work 1 day a week each pay period. However, I mentioned to them that I do have a vacation planned in a couple months, where I would need days off obviously. And I probably wouldn't be able to make them up in the same pay period, as I have the other job to worry about.

This raised a major red flag to me the more I thought about it. It basically contradicted what they said...and yet they agreed that it would be no issue. I'm scared that I'm going to push myself working with NO days off, and then when it actually comes time to take my vacation, they're going to let me go.. when the whole point was so that I'd keep my discount in the first place.

Also, please note, I don't mean leaving without 2 weeks notice. I was always going to give a 2 week notice. But I don't want to work nonstop for a few months only for them to go back on what they said...

My question is, if worst comes to worst, will I still be able to use my employee discount if it was booked WHILE i was still an employee? The current rate forms would cover the dates (they expire after my vacation).

This is just a worst case scenario of course. Just kind of scared of getting screwed.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Also, I know this comes off as paranoid, but it wouldn't be the first shady thing my hotel as done. From hiring someone and cutting back my hours, to that person quitting and them restoring my hours - all without informing me. Only reason I knew is because I check the schedule religiously
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Only another Marriott employee can tell you if they will cut the benefit upon your termination or if it's likely to be honored. If your manager knows your travel plans then it sounds like they could leave you high and dry without notice. I'm sure the employee discount is hefty but I'm not sure I would count on it given what you've said about your management. Maybe a viable backup plan would be wise.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Only another Marriott employee can tell you if they will cut the benefit upon your termination or if it's likely to be honored. If your manager knows your travel plans then it sounds like they could leave you high and dry without notice. I'm sure the employee discount is hefty but I'm not sure I would count on it given what you've said about your management. Maybe a viable backup plan would be wise.
Thank you for the quick reply. My backup plan would be to just pay the full rate, although it is a HEFTY difference. 200$ vs over 600$ a night. If it were a more modestly priced hotel, I'd be less concerned.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:24 pm

As long as your EID is still active with access into GlobalSource and your hotel still considers you an employee, your discount card and any authorization forms you issued are considered valid. One of my agents is on call and generally only works a couple of days each month and occasionally has several weeks or months in between shifts. She has had no difficulty using her discount card for employee rates and is one of the main reasons she sticks around as being on call.

If you are not an active employee at the time of travel, you run the risk of your discount card being invalidated as soon as your HR department strips your access away from MGS or you’re no longer statused with the company. The discount card is validated at the time of check-in.

Worst case scenario, your rate is adjusted from Associate Pleasure to Regular. Best case scenario, they forget to take away your credentials and your discount card is still valid. You can always have a friend look up your discount card on Marriottforms.com to check its details.
somemale likes this.

Last edited by Disconnections; Feb 15, 2018 at 10:29 pm
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by direwoof
I'm scared that I'm going to push myself working with NO days off, and then when it actually comes time to take my vacation, they're going to let me go.
How would that benefit your manager? Seems like they want you to stick around. I assume they’d want you to keep working after your vacation is over
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by getagb

How would that benefit your manager? Seems like they want you to stick around. I assume they’d want you to keep working after your vacation is over
They want me to stay on right now because it's very hard to fill the job. The hours are awful. I reckon it's going to take them a good 2-3 months to fill it, maybe even longer because people will start, realize how awful the hours actually are, and then quit pretty soon.

On top of that, it's really only a two person job. One person works 4 days, the other works 3. I work the latter. So in theory, if they did stay true to their word, it would actually be more of a hassle for them to keep me once they did find another person who would stick with it. Especially because the current 4-day person refuses to switch shifts or cover even in emergencies, so my managers will likely have to cover my vacation (albeit only a day or two since I'll only be working those two days), if they find someone who can only work two days (which I feel is unlikely in itself)

sorry if this is confusing or coming off as paranoia (which it probably is lol). I just keep getting the feeling they're saying what they need to say in order for me to stay on until they find a permanent replacement, and then they're probably not going to find it worth it to keep me in the end. Which from a company standpoint I get, but from my personal standpoint, massively defeats the purpose :P
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Disconnections
As long as your EID is still active with access into GlobalSource and your hotel still considers you an employee, your discount card and any authorization forms you issued are considered valid. One of my agents is on call and generally only works a couple of days each month and occasionally has several weeks or months in between shifts. She has had no difficulty using her discount card for employee rates and is one of the main reasons she sticks around as being on call.

If you are not an active employee at the time of travel, you run the risk of your discount card being invalidated as soon as your HR department strips your access away from MGS or you’re no longer statused with the company. The discount card is validated at the time of check-in.

Worst case scenario, your rate is adjusted from Associate Pleasure to Regular. Best case scenario, they forget to take away your credentials and your discount card is still valid. You can always have a friend look up your discount card on Marriottforms.com to check its details.
This is precisely the answer I was looking for, 𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒌 𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒌𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒌thank 𝒀𝒐𝒖𝒀𝒐𝒖𝒀𝒐𝒖you!

I knew that once I was no longer working here I'd obviously lose access to global source, but I just wasn't sure what would happen to forms that I already had. Since the current form wouldn't have expired until after my vacation, I thought I might be safe. anyways, 𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒌 𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒌𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒌𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒏thanks again for your detailed answer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.