Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Problems changing Marriott Rewards password

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:06 pm
1P
Original Poster

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club

I received an email an hour ago, telling me that my password was not compliant with their standards (I assume this is something to do with the merger with Starwood) and that I should use a password that is not in the Marriott or Starwood system (despite the fact that my Starwood password is stronger than anything that Marriott are asking for). I wondered if this was a scam, but when I went to sign in at Marriott, I could not get in. When I eventually got to a page that would enable me to update my password, I was able to enter old and new passwords, but the box for entering my email address was unresponsive and I could not enter my email address. So I am effectively locked out of my account until they get their IT working properly. Anyone else having this problem?

[Mods, please close or merge this if someone else has already reported it elsewhere.]
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:08 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by 1P
I received an email an hour ago, telling me that my password was not compliant with their standards (I assume this is something to do with the merger with Starwood) and that I should use a password that is not in the Marriott or Starwood system (despite the fact that my Starwood password is stronger than anything that Marriott are asking for). I wondered if this was a scam, but when I went to sign in at Marriott, I could not get in. When I eventually got to a page that would enable me to update my password, I was able to enter old and new passwords, but the box for entering my email address was unresponsive and I could not enter my email address. So I am effectively locked out of my account until they get their IT working properly. Anyone else having this problem?

[Mods, please close or merge this if someone else has already reported it elsewhere.]

Call them. It sounds like you got phished. How did you get to a place to change your password if you couldn't sign in in the first place?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I got the same email. I was able to log in using my old password, but it took me straight to a "change password" page.

ETA: Interestingly, my wife did not get the same email, and no request to change her non-compliant password. Maybe because she has no points?

Last edited by mahasamatman; Feb 14, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:53 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I got the same email. I was able to log in using my old password, but it took me straight to a "change password" page.

ETA: Interestingly, my wife did not get the same email, and no request to change her non-compliant password. Maybe because she has no points?

Passwords are crap. They need to support 2fa.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by NDN
Passwords are crap. They need to support 2fa.
Which is also crap, but you have to start somewhere. (BTW, they actually do support 2FA for changing the password or using a new device.)
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
No email for me. I'm LT Plat & do have points.

FWIW - I also have a PIN associated w/ my account (separate from password) that even the Marriott reps have to ask me for before they can access my account (and I'd recommend all do the same).

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
No email for me, yet I am still being forced to change my password (with the inability to enter my email address into their poorly designed form).

The Customer Service agent indicated it was a legitimate Marriott webpage and that they are requiring me to change my password (even though it is stronger than their "minimum" requirements). She was also not particularly customer service focused, as it took me three times to tell her that one of the four boxes on the change password page wouldn't accept any input (the email address field) before she understood that their IT people messed it up.

She's sending an email to me with a link to a Change Password page.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Got it a few minutes ago. Had to change 1 character to uppercase. It's amazing how I've had to morph & modify my "standard" PW to fit every website's different opinion of "strong". Marriott didn't require a "special" character, hence now I've got another variant (that I had to record someplace to remember. Plus it appears each device has to be registered. What a hassle.

There has to be a better way...
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Got the email today. Logged in to Marriott website, and ordered to change password. Website then permanently locked me out of my account.

Called customer service. About a 10 minute wait. CSR said that it is a known issue that the website is not processing new passwords. She had to generate a forgot password email to me and finish the process using that method.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:51 pm

Wow, are they stupid. So their new "requirements" don't allow special characters?
joshua362 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Wow, are they stupid. So their new "requirements" don't allow special characters?
IDK that for sure, I meant to imply that they DON'T require a special character like every other website I been forced to reset recently...
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
IDK that for sure, I meant to imply that they DON'T require a special character like every other website I been forced to reset recently...
No, they do NOT allow, as I tried to input a password that had it.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by s0ssos
No, they do NOT allow, as I tried to input a password that had it.
Yes, they DO allow.

I just changed mine, including a special character, and it works fine. Tried it in two different browsers, and logged right in.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by BlaiseBOS
Yes, they DO allow.

I just changed mine, including a special character, and it works fine. Tried it in two different browsers, and logged right in.
I don't know their rules, since they do not publish it. But either it is they do not allow more than one, or don't allow certain characters, because my password was not allowed.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by BlaiseBOS
Yes, they DO allow.
They allow a very limited subset of special characters. The following nine are the only ones allowed: $ ! # @ & ? % = _

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.