Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

SPG flooding Marriott with platinums

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

Ugh. SPG has extended its status challenge program, which allows anyone to get SPG platinum status and thereby Marriott platinum status through February 2020, if they stay 18 nights.

For Marriott elites, this is insane not least because SPG only requires 50 nights for platinum status whereas Marriott requires 75 nights. But lowering the threshold to 18 nights is ridiculous.

https://www.spgpromos.com/statuschallenge/
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:08 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
And over at the SPG forum folks are complaining that Marriott is flooding SPG with Plats. It seems that since Plats get much better treatment at Starwood hotels (real suite upgrades, free breakfast at virtually ALL hotels, last room award availability, etc.). They think it is insane given that as all the Marriott Plats figure this out, they will be flooding Starwood hotels.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:09 am

Or - if you possess any CC that gives you SPG Gold - you just link your accounts and become MR Gold. Then to a platinum challenge that gives you platinum after 9 stays.
And don't forget the UA golds that get MR Gold w/o any stays.

Last edited by funkbandit; Jan 10, 2018 at 7:09 am Reason: Layout
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by funkbandit
Or - if you possess any CC that gives you SPG Gold - you just link your accounts and become MR Gold. Then to a platinum challenge that gives you platinum after 9 stays.
And don't forget the UA golds that get MR Gold w/o any stays.
The status challenge doesn't work if you presently have either SPG preferred or gold statuses.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
And United has flooded Marriott with Golds. The lounges are extremely overcrowded, especially for breakfast. So much so, I have been asked to come back later because of the crowding. Other lounges are checking names (as well as ensuring you are only bringing +1) and assigning seats at the door for breakfast. Others have moved breakfast to conference rooms due to the large number of guests with lounge access. Upgrades are few and far between now, as one FD supervisor they have given up on upgrading elites because of the number of platinums they see on any given night. The current situation with elites and expected benefits is not sustainable and the changes to the new combined program will address this!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OU812
The current situation with elites and expected benefits is not sustainable and the changes to the new combined program will address this!
I hope you're right. SPG had such low status thresholds. I'd like to see the new program retain Marriott qualification rules, which should lower the number significantly, but bring in some of the SPG benefits. But at any rate, we're likely stuck with this through the end of 2019 at this point.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: LTP, PP
And Marriott continues to give courtesy PLT renewals as well this year.

When the shoe drops in a combined program, its going to drop hard.

The Lounges cannot get cutback anymore or more basic. Shells of what they were 10 years ago.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

What's even more interesting is that the SPG status secured the SPG status match is good through February 2020. Ignoring the fact that my Marriott status is only good through February 2019, this strikes me as unusual because all reports indicate a new combined Marriott/Ritz-Carlton/SPG program will be in place by January 2019.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

And United has flooded Marriott with Golds. The lounges are extremely overcrowded, especially for breakfast. So much so, I have been asked to come back later because of the crowding. Other lounges are checking names (as well as ensuring you are only bringing +1) and assigning seats at the door for breakfast. Others have moved breakfast to conference rooms due to the large number of guests with lounge access.
Thankfully, I haven't come across this but I'm an early riser and normally go to the lounge as soon as it opens, which often is 6 a.m. It's really frustrating when the occasional property doesn't open its lounge until 7 a.m. Assigned seats? To hell with that. What next? Making you share a table like Amtrak?

I normally take a bowl of oatmeal or a couple yogurt containers along with a cup of coffee back to my room.

Regardless, Marriott should consider giving platinum guests the option of breakfast in the restaurant. Not that it would matter as more properties are renovated with M Club lounges, which, in my experience, are significantly bigger than the old concierge lounges.

Upgrades are few and far between now, as one FD supervisor they have given up on upgrading elites because of the number of platinums they see on any given night. The current situation with elites and expected benefits is not sustainable and the changes to the new combined program will address this!
Not upgrading because of no availability is one thing. Not upgrading because you don't want to take the time to figure it out is absurd. I'd report the property to Marriott.
CommentatusMaximus likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Ugh. SPG has extended its status challenge program, which allows anyone to get SPG platinum status and thereby Marriott platinum status through February 2020, if they stay 18 nights.

For Marriott elites, this is insane not least because SPG only requires 50 nights for platinum status whereas Marriott requires 75 nights. But lowering the threshold to 18 nights is ridiculous.

https://www.spgpromos.com/statuschallenge/
You left out the key detail...18 nights *in 3 months*. Which annualizes to 72 nights annually. 6 nights/month qualifies most as a moderate road warrior.

Also, it's not really "50 nights vs. 75" when comparing the programs given how much easier it is to earn nights with Marriott (15 vs. 5 for CC, rollover nights, nights for ongoing credit card spend, conf room nights, etc.).
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SPG is Marriott. So what OP is saying is . . . Marriott is flooding Marriott with Platinums.
Football Fan, JackE and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You left out the key detail...18 nights *in 3 months*. Which annualizes to 72 nights annually. 6 nights/month qualifies most as a moderate road warrior.

Also, it's not really "50 nights vs. 75" when comparing the programs given how much easier it is to earn nights with Marriott (15 vs. 5 for CC, rollover nights, nights for ongoing credit card spend, conf room nights, etc.).
And many MR Plat members receive a free birthday night which (together with a MR CC) brings the plat threshold to 59 nights/year.

In some SPG fora they publish ways to earn SPG plat through this challenge for under 1,000 dollars (mainly through stays on SPG hot escapes rates in eastern Europe or Asia). That said, it is still more expensive (and may require more travelling) than the platinum in 8 days for 800 dollars process discussed in this flyertalk forum.

BTW: I am not in favor of overcrowded lounges and empty food platters...
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
And what about the Chinese bank that was gifting SPG G with only one stay

Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Srisarin
And what about the Chinese bank that was gifting SPG G with only one stay

What about the blood bank that gave Marriott PP with a single donation? Or the Ford dealership that gave Marriott LTP with a Fusion test drive?

You seem to love to posit an outlier as the mass representation of the brand. While ignoring actual valid points. Source or it didn't happen.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
the SPG forum - my source

and your sources ?

What about the blood bank that gave Marriott PP with a single donation? Or the Ford dealership that gave Marriott LTP with a Fusion test drive?

You seem to love to posit an outlier as the mass representation of the brand. While ignoring actual valid points. Source or it didn't happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.