Wiki Posts
Search

Megabonus guidance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Megabonus guidance

Looking for some advice on earning strategy for the next Megabonus:

I'm redeeming one of my Megabonus certs for a night at a category 3 AC Hotel in Spain next month. For the other 2 nights of my stay, I'm redeeming points at 20,000 a night. Since this will fall in the next Megabonus period, is it worth spending 66 EUR for one of the nights in order to get the 1,000 point bonus?

The base points on a 66 EUR night wouldn't be that compelling alone but I'm interested to figure out whether the 1000 bonus makes it worthwhile to pay for one of the nights. I'm MR Gold if that affects the calculation

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by ne52
Looking for some advice on earning strategy for the next Megabonus:

I'm redeeming one of my Megabonus certs for a night at a category 3 AC Hotel in Spain next month. For the other 2 nights of my stay, I'm redeeming points at 20,000 a night. Since this will fall in the next Megabonus period, is it worth spending 66 EUR for one of the nights in order to get the 1,000 point bonus?

The base points on a 66 EUR night wouldn't be that compelling alone but I'm interested to figure out whether the 1000 bonus makes it worthwhile to pay for one of the nights. I'm MR Gold if that affects the calculation

Thanks in advance
It's not just the 1,000 bonus points you're getting though, it's also the not-spending-20,000-points. At that rate, I'd probably just pay cash for both nights instead of points.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't even waste a cert for a 66 Euro room. (But that's because most of my certs come from the credit card, which has either an $85 (personal) or $99 (business) AF, and why would I want to use a cert on a hotel that costs less than the AF I have to pay to get the cert? ) At 66 Euros, I'd pay for all of the nights, and save the cert for a more expensive hotel (unless the cert is about to expire and they won't let you extend it). And then there's be no question of earning the bonus. (With a mix of award and paid nights, there's always a risk that the hotel combines the nights in a way that doesn't count!)

And I similarly wouldn't waste 20k points for a room that can be had for 66 Euros.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback

The certificate came from a previous Megabonus and I haven't been able to find any US hotel where I would actually use it. I've been just banking points and not redeeming so I'm more tolerable of higher redemption rates but sounds like paying cash is the best option here.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:00 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
66 Euro is about 80.00 USD. You should base your points on the US prices. Personally I would pay $80.00 instead of 22k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.