Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Period for 2017 Marriott Rewards (MR) Elite Qualification Nights:
01 January 2017 - 31 December 2017

Equation for Rollover Nights [2018 Version]:
[2017 MR Total Nights] - [2017 MR Elite Qualification Nights] - [2017 Rollover Nights] = [2018 Rollover Nights]

Example:
  • 2017 MR Total Nights: 113
  • 2017 MR Elite Qualification Nights (Platinum): 75
  • 2017 Rollover Nights: 29
Result:
113 [2017 Marriott Rewards (MR) Total Nights] - 75 [2017 MR Elite Qualification Nights] - 29 [2017 Rollover Nights] = 9 [2018 Rollover Nights]
Print Wikipost

Rollover nights from 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
My rollover nights posted.

I checked the website after comments above by other posters regarding a status update and it's showing only Platinum, rather than my current Platinum Premier status. The app, still shows Platinum Premier. Wondering if I should be regretting those 30 SPG nights ...

For those who are trying to figure out Platinum Premier status, I had 101 actual nights, I've been Platinum Premier for a few years, and have Platinum lifetime status.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
My rollover nights posted.

I checked the website after comments above by other posters regarding a status update and it's showing only Platinum, rather than my current Platinum Premier status. The app, still shows Platinum Premier. Wondering if I should be regretting those 30 SPG nights ...

For those who are trying to figure out Platinum Premier status, I had 101 actual nights, I've been Platinum Premier for a few years, and have Platinum lifetime status.
What's to regret? What have you received as a PP that you don't get as a Plat? It seems MR goes out of their way to not provide much, if anything, to distinguish between the two. They sure don't go out of their way to educate the properties, there's been several reports where FDCs have thought Plat was higher than PP!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ennsy
115 nights in 2017, got Platinum 2018 and 20 rollover nights. Credit card nights have not yet posted.
So is it half your total rollover nights that get posted for 2018? Anyone know the exact calculation Marriott is using?
The formula is total nights - tier level - previous rollover nights. If you got 20 rollover nights, then MR thinks you only earned 95 nights last year. Double check your count and contact MR if they've made a mistake.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by RogerD408
What's to regret? What have you received as a PP that you don't get as a Plat? It seems MR goes out of their way to not provide much, if anything, to distinguish between the two. They sure don't go out of their way to educate the properties, there's been several reports where FDCs have thought Plat was higher than PP!
Maybe its a glitch connected to the website and I wasn't downgraded. It was still there when I logged in from one computer today but not there when I changed a reservation on a different computer. As others have commented, it shows up on the legacy site but not the new site.

And yes ... I get the comment. For the life of me, I don't understand how an average intelligence FDC doesn't understand that an X4 is something different than a P6. They can't be seeing that many X4's. That being said, when the FDC knows the difference, I almost always get a suite and often get a handwritten note from the GM. Hoping that the new program has a more defined level, consistent with the SPG 100 level. The elimination of the rollover nights might also help get the status inflation under control.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Jan 16, 2018 at 12:13 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Maybe its a glitch connected to the website and I wasn't downgraded. It was still there when I logged in from one computer today but not there when I changed a reservation on a different computer. As others have commented, it shows up on the legacy site but not the new site.
Marriott IT at its finest. You're still PP, at the very least until the end of February - the exact same thing happens to me right now with P vs PP depending on website version, and I confirmed with the FDC at my last hotel stay that I am still showing as PP on their end.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by ennsy

I didn't have a Marriott account until 2017 so it's impossible for me to have any rollover from 2016.
In that case, if the numbers don't straighten themselves out soon, you'll need to call - no 50% or anything like that in effect.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
In that case, if the numbers don't straighten themselves out soon, you'll need to call - no 50% or anything like that in effect.
thanks. I'll give them a call
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:05 am

Anyone else still not seeing an update? For the last week, I've just had my 1 CC night listed. I was, at end of 2017, 7 nights away from platinum, so I'm expecting (maybe incorrectly) a decent-sized rollover into 2018.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ricebt
Anyone else still not seeing an update? For the last week, I've just had my 1 CC night listed. I was, at end of 2017, 7 nights away from platinum, so I'm expecting (maybe incorrectly) a decent-sized rollover into 2018.
What was/is your status? If you ended 2017 as a Plat and missed the 75 (earned) nights, then there will be no rollover. Remember it's based upon your highest tier during the year and not what you will be the following year. Also, you do not count any rollover nights from the previous year.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:29 am

I became gold in 2017 and hit 68 nights. But a lot of those were rollover -- which (to your point) may be why I'm showing 0.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ricebt
I became gold in 2017 and hit 68 nights. But a lot of those were rollover -- which (to your point) may be why I'm showing 0.
Yes, subtract your rollover nights from your total nights and then subtract 50 and that's what you should get (of course if greater than zero). MR can get nasty and grant the higher tier if you're close and you may get zero rollovers.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:53 am

Hello

I joined MR rewards in 2016 Sept, stayed 109 nights by Sept 2017 and was accorded platinum status (yay!). Since then, haven't had a single night at a Marriott property due to non availability where i usually stay. Now, it shows I'll be platinum till end of this year but shows zero roll over nights. Should i contact MR (I live in India and the number is Malaysian, can email them, they take some time to respond, hence posting here).

Second, i have some travel coming up on united and since united doesn't operate in India, a good use of the points is to transfer them to MR - would that count towards my status for the year?

thanks for any tips
Vaibhav
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vaibhav Arora
Hello

I joined MR rewards in 2016 Sept, stayed 109 nights by Sept 2017 and was accorded platinum status (yay!). Since then, haven't had a single night at a Marriott property due to non availability where i usually stay. Now, it shows I'll be platinum till end of this year but shows zero roll over nights. Should i contact MR (I live in India and the number is Malaysian, can email them, they take some time to respond, hence posting here).

Second, i have some travel coming up on united and since united doesn't operate in India, a good use of the points is to transfer them to MR - would that count towards my status for the year?

thanks for any tips
Vaibhav
How many of those 109 nights were actually in 2017? The counts reset the first of each year and are not anniversary based.

Status is based upon nights earned, so transferring miles from UA to MR points will only apply to lifetime points. Given you're so new with the program, I'd suggest waiting until the merged program rules are announced and see how that plays out for you.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:12 am

Thanks for that detail. I did a manual count and the number of nights in Marriott properties was in the 40 region in 2017. This is surprising as when I login to the account it still shows I have a 109 lifetime nights. Is it possible that these nights included some bonus points earned as megabonus?

At any rate, shouldn't these 40 nights be rolled over to the current year?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vaibhav Arora
Thanks for that detail. I did a manual count and the number of nights in Marriott properties was in the 40 region in 2017. This is surprising as when I login to the account it still shows I have a 109 lifetime nights. Is it possible that these nights included some bonus points earned as megabonus?

At any rate, shouldn't these 40 nights be rolled over to the current year?
Lifetime nights are different than status nights. For instance, you (currently) need 750 nights to make LTP, but only 75 nights for Plat through next year (different numbers for different LT tiers).

If 69 of those nights were in 2016, you should have earned Gold status through February 2018. Before getting any rollover nights for your 2017 activity, you must exceed 50 earned nights during the year, which it appears you did not do.

Do not mix nights and points. Points only count for lifetime status, and you will not be making LT before the new program kicks in. Wait and see what the requirements are then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.