Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
delete

no need to keep post

Last edited by seigex; Nov 12, 2017 at 9:47 pm Reason: delete
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Is this a serious post, or just something to provoke a certain reaction? There are so many threads and posts that cover this already. Available at check-in is at the discretion of the hotel, as you posted, "Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel." The hotel said no, so that's the end of your request. It does not include blocking a suite, which can be sold, for five days. Especially for a Gold, which is below two or three other tiers.

The only thing that makes you entitled to get a suite is to reserve and pay for a suite.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Is this a serious post, or just something to provoke a certain reaction? There are so many threads and posts that cover this already. Available at check-in is at the discretion of the hotel, as you posted, "Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel." The hotel said no, so that's the end of your request. It does not include blocking a suite, which can be sold, for five days. Especially for a Gold, which is below two or three other tiers.

The only thing that makes you entitled to get a suite is to reserve and pay for a suite.
Serious post and meant as an honest question with some context as to why I'm asking. I'm new to status on Marriott coming over from Hyatt Globalist and am trying to get a feel for how status works with Marriott.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Sorry to have questioned your sincerity, but this gets asked very often.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by seigex
Serious post and meant as an honest question with some context as to why I'm asking. I'm new to status on Marriott coming over from Hyatt Globalist and am trying to get a feel for how status works with Marriott.

Thanks for the reply.
Your question was not a bad one, although yes it's talked about pretty frequently in other threads and across most of the hotel programs.

The typical "pay for it if you want it" reply above isn't really helpful, as if one of the main reasons these fora exist is not to understand and maximize what we get out these frequent guest / flyer / renter programs. I can understand this reply if people are indignant about not getting the presidential suite for their 2 week stay in Hawaii over Christmas.

In general most hotels regardless of brand won't admit it like the one you reference, but it makes sense that they're more willing to give an upgrade on a short stay than a long stay, and that tends to be the case no matter which program.

I will say other than "paying for it" is to email the hotel in advance with a polite and specific email (i.e. name a specific reasonable room type you'd like) asking for an upgrade.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Good advice, thanks @mwk190.

I guess I've been a little spoiled since I hit Globalist and even with Marriott Gold, I've been lucky enough to get upgrades when they aren't fully booked, such as a no questions asked 1 bedroom Suite upgrade at a Residence Inn down the street.

I'm away from home on work travel more than 40 weeks out of the year for work and I'm just trying to maximize comfort and am trying to maintain loyalty so I can get some perks. Hyatt does really well for me, but I have an easier time finding a Marriott properties in some of the out of the way places I end up where Hyatt's aren't within a reasonable distance, which is why I switched over. And I'm just trying to clear up a little of the confusion in my understanding of Marriott's program and if it's worth forcing myself to remain loyal aside from getting more points.

To be honest, I should have stayed this week at the same Residence, as I have yet to really be impressed with any CY property I've stayed at.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Don't take your experience with RI's as typical since they have a lot of 1 & 2 BR's to upgrade to and generally bend over backwards to accommodate. CY's are the dog of the Marriott system with regards to upgrades and a few other things IME. The above advice is all good regarding Marriott, Rens, JW, etc (full service). It's going to be a pleasant surprise at best and takes some pre arrival and on site work to make it happen, far from guaranteed even at the highest elite level.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The original question isn't there any more, but allow me to throw in my two cents' worth about Elite upgrades.

A lot depends on the physical attributes of the hotel. For example, some full-service Marriotts have nothing but identical, "cookie-room" rooms -- differentiated only by whether they have a king or two doubles, what floor they're on, what direction they face, and their proximity to the concierge lounge. But other full-service Marriotts were built with larger corner rooms or suites on every floor. The latter is in a better position to provide meaningful upgrades.

It also depends on the culture and policies of each hotel, as directed by the hotel's GM. Some hotels take upgrades seriously, pre-booking Elite guests into upgraded rooms a few days before check-in. Fostering the loyalty of frequent travelers through upgrades is good business. But it seems some hotels consider upgrades to be a nuisance.

It should also depend on the Elite level. Platinum Premier should have a higher upgrade priority than Platinum, which should have a higher upgrade priority than Gold, which should have a higher upgrade priority than guests without a published upgrade benefit (Silver, basic member, and non-member).

Finally, it depends on whether the hotel is able to sell the executive rooms, junior suites, and suites to paying customers. Such rooms would otherwise potentially go to Elite guests as upgrades.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:34 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
CY's are the dog of the Marriott system with regards to upgrades and a few other things IME.
I know in general CYs have a very negative view here on FT. But in general, over the last 10 years, I've had much, much better suite upgrade rates at CYs than I have had with any other non-suite Marriott brand. Just before I check-in, I usually check to see if they are still selling suite rooms. If they are, I will ask about an upgrade to one when I check in. And my upgrade rate is very good, assuming they were still selling them for the nights I'm staying.

Yes, I know generally they don't provide free breakfast but otherwise, I tend to like them. I love their suite room layout as they have two separate thermostats (one for each room.) I can really crank up the A/C for the bedroom as I like to sleep with it cold in the room, but don't like sitting in the room working or watching TV or whatever when it is 60 degree. A CY King Suite is perfect for me. I know a lot of folks say Hilton's HGI brand tends to be better and agree free breakfast there is a great benefit, but I've never, even as a Diamond, been able to get a true suite upgrade. I have been able to get Jr. Suite upgrades which are nice, but not as good as the CY full suite upgrade I usually get.

I do like RIs and even TPSes can be OK, but I hate that 5pts/$ thing. So I'll use points to stay at an RI or TPS, but am much less likely to have a paid stay at one.
CJKatl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.