Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Stained bed sheets and carpet at Renaissance North Shore Chicago - Pathetic Response

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stained bed sheets and carpet at Renaissance North Shore Chicago - Pathetic Response

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive

This post can either be read as a rant, warning or seeking advice as this elite member feels wronged. Checked into a room that had giant carpet stain and pieces of laminate missing on bathtub surface. And when I went to bed, turned back the sheets only to discover light reddish brown stains the size of several drops. It looked it had been blood stains and they tried to wash them out.

Nevertheless, complained to front desk, switched rooms and offered breakfast which I declined as already had vouchers. Then promised some points but no specific number was given. The following day at check out reviewed my bill but no mention of points. The manager comes back out and offers me breakfast again for the inconvenience. Also claims they can take up to 24 hours to post.

Another 24 hours later, I am frustrated and contact Marriott Customer Care to start a case and forward the pictures I took. Within 2 hours the hotel responded to me personally via email with 2000 bonus points. Seriously!? I think I had been given the runaround and ignored. I assumed maybe the hotel had no managers available during the weekend. I never asked for my hotel to be comped nor expected a lot of points, but 10% of an award is truly disrespectful.

Marriott Customer Care wrote email to me this evening stating that since a hotel associate has been in touch with me then problem resolved and closing the case. Where has good customer service gone? I have not complained to Marriott except once earlier this year and to think that a SpringHill Suites took my stay much seriously for a lesser offense than stained bedsheets is truly sad.

Anyways, rant over, ears open to advice and as I said before, you have been warned if you chose to stay there unless you like being lied to and ignored. There is a reason that Renaissance in Chicago has such bad reviews and is one of the only Category 4 properties in the US.

Last edited by idealflyer; Nov 8, 2017 at 11:16 pm Reason: Forgot to add I am Ritz Carlton Gold Elite.....if it really matters
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by idealflyer
Marriott Customer Care wrote email to me this evening stating that since a hotel associate has been in touch with me then problem resolved and closing the case.
Contact Customer Care and state that you are not satisfied with the proposed resolution and that you want the case reopened. It will happen.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Thanks, that seems like the best possible solution. I am just surprised Customer Care just went along with the hotel's initial offer for the inconvenience. It as if they never even bothered to review the case.

Life is short and I have plenty of other hotel statuses I can use rather than to waste more time fettering over one very lousy stay.

Last edited by idealflyer; Nov 9, 2017 at 6:52 am Reason: Sometimes I can be dyslexic before cofefe in morinng
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm a bit perplexed by the runaround part.

When you complained the property switched your room & offered you free breakfast (which in fairness you didn't need). They offered points, which didn't post as quickly as you liked, so you started a case (fair enough, although I might have waited a few days in case they did post). They then posted points, but you didn't like the amount offered.

Where was the run-around? Also, if the # of points were important to you then why didn't you inquire about the amount at the time they were offered?

I wouldn't be happy w/ a worn-down room & stained sheets either, but it does seem that the hotel did take action by switching your room, offering breakfast & then offering points.

Cheers.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm a bit perplexed by the runaround part.
I think I would have been fine just moving to a new room with clean sheets (and wouldn't feel anything else was required if that was done promptly and without fuss).
markko, DJ_Iceman and lougord99 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
You still complain about the sheets because eventually - maybe later that night - some customer is going to get stuck with them.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by catocony
You still complain about the sheets because eventually - maybe later that night - some customer is going to get stuck with them.
You demand comp because of the possibility the property may not have changed the sheets after they moved you to another room???
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
That's Chicago for you. Not surprised.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
You demand comp because of the possibility the property may not have changed the sheets after they moved you to another room???
Getting moved to another room and/or getting some compensation solves one person's problem. Complaining to Marriott might get hotel management to be more vigilant on the product they're providing to customers. My observation is that most properties are more concerned about shutting up a complaining guest than actually correcting the problem that is being complained about.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I asked a hotel manager about this (dif property) & he said to me that if there was a complaint about stained sheets in one room they would move the guest to another room & make sure housekeeping dealt w/ the sheet situation before re-selling the room, that unless they were in a sold-out situation where they had to immediately turn the room/have it cleaned the same day, that housekeeping would deal w/ it on their normal shift the next morning. They wouldn't just turn around & re-sell the room w/ the stained sheets the same night w/ the same sheets on it. And laundry would be notified of the issue so they could try & get the stains out, & if not, then the sheets would be retired.

However I'm still wondering why the OP said the hotel gave him a run-around, when they: a) moved him to another room; b) offered to comp breakfast; c) offered points. How is that a run-around?

FWIW - I'm w/ Kacee in that if I had encountered the room with the stained sheets, moving me to another room would have been fine & I would not have asked for nor expected any compensation.

Cheers.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:24 pm

I had a quick 1 night stay at the Ritz Marina Del Ray in the summer. Arrived after midnight and was tired but noticed one 1/2 inch rip in the sheets. Was too tired and hit the sack for my early departure back to LAX. In the morning I noticed 2 more similar size holes. Upon checkout I got 25000 Marriott points as compensation. Duty manager even asked if that was enough so I could have probably got some more but felt his first offer was good so just rolled with it.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by kokinos
I had a quick 1 night stay at the Ritz Marina Del Ray in the summer. Arrived after midnight and was tired but noticed one 1/2 inch rip in the sheets. Was too tired and hit the sack for my early departure back to LAX. In the morning I noticed 2 more similar size holes. Upon checkout I got 25000 Marriott points as compensation. Duty manager even asked if that was enough so I could have probably got some more but felt his first offer was good so just rolled with it.
There were holes in my sheets at JW Mall of America. I didn't think to complain about that. I did complain about the failure to offer the welcome amenity though, since that's part of the Plat Guaranty.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by catocony
And so that housekeeping is told it cost the hotel money and they should be more careful in the future. If there is no consequence to the hotel, a future guest will likely run into the same thing.

I've had the stains on the carpet and posted the pics somewhere on this board and on TA. One is below. It looked like baby diaper droppings or wine. These were quite large and could not be missed. It was disgusting that the hotel had to have known about these and just shoved someone in the room hoping the guest would just stay there. They wound up putting area rugs over the stains but I felt as though they were going to keep using the room after left without addressing the issue. (The otherwise less-than-mediocre Marriott Orchard Rd Singapore)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.