Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping: Don't do what I did.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JackE
Perhaps a good compromise -- keeping in mind that a compromise is a choice that everyone finds fault with -- is to treat tips like a resort fee. Fixed and hated.
I've seen a few European restaurants that do this. Italy, IIRC. Maybe only in tourist sections. Flat gratuity for the table or per person. You are correct in that I still don't like it, but at least it was on the menu and automatically added to the bill, as you cannot adjust a tip amount on many of the handheld chip & PIN systems in Europe.

This could be an improvement in the U.S., but only in restaurants as an improvement over today's system. Everywhere else I'd rather see this kind of behavior eradicated entirely.

At the very, very least, properties should allow housekeeping tips to go to the folio. (Or is this already possible?) They should even allow points for it, which would be a staff benefit by encouraging it.
I hate any idea that seeks to introduce tips or bribes into a place where they didn't exist before. Shame on Marriott for trying to do this in hopes of an end-game where they can eventually distort the labor demand curve for hospitality talent in a way that results in them paying their people less.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:22 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
By making it known upfront, it's just part of the cost that customers can compare. When I look at booking a Vegas room, I simply compare the final cost and completely ignore what they call it.
When I look at a menu and see a hamburger, the tip amount isn't "unknown". It's up to me. That's a big difference. I'm in control, so there's no excuse for me to "not know" how much the tip will be. I can tip a flat fee of $1, I can tip 20% of whatever it costs, it's up to me. How is this something that can't be accounted for when considering two different restaurants???

This would also fix the problem of charging a different amount to carry a plate with a steak instead of a hamburger.
How is that a problem if you're just considering the final total and not worrying how much is "burger" (or "room rate") and how much is "tip" (or resort fee)? You're simultaneously advocating that people ignore what the line items are labeled and trying to micro-manage the line items.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jgates8
The annoyance at my employment was that because they didn't want to pay prep cooks in the back, we were required to do prep work before and after our shift for the same $2.33 per hour. That part stunk as it could equate to 1 to 3 hours of extra work. And basically the restaurant was just saving themselves a ton by not paying a prep cook.
When you left did you call the Department of Labor to find out if that was legal or if they owed you minimum wage for those hours?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by pvn
... the tip amount isn't "unknown". It's up to me. ....
That's not entirely true. In general, if something is up to me, that implies that the choice is relatively free of punitive measures, whether legal, financial, societal, etc. For better or worse, tipping is expected in certain areas. Failure to adequately tip exposes you to several punitive measures including:
  • derision - I believed your term for poor tippers was "cheap"
  • poor service
  • public shaming - a la the now-defunct website Lousy Tippers. Its slogan was "There is a consequence"
  • I believe CJKATL mentioned that you may no longer be a welcome guest next time
  • Racial or other stereotyping - so and so group are poor tippers. Please see this article in Eater https://www.eater.com/2012/8/9/65567...rated-food-and
I think part of the issue is that some resent feeling coerced into tipping.
joshua362 and pinniped like this.

Last edited by clarkef; Nov 29, 2017 at 11:38 pm
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:05 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by clarkef
That's not entirely true. In general, if something is up to me, that implies that the choice is relatively free of punitive measures, whether legal, financial, societal, etc. For better or worse, tipping is expected in certain areas. Failure to adequately tip exposes you to several punitive measures including:
  • derision - I believed your term for poor tippers was "cheap"
  • poor service
  • public shaming - a la the now-defunct website Lousy Tippers. Its slogan was "There is a consequence"
  • I believe CJKATL mentioned that you may no longer be a welcome guest next time
  • Racial or other stereotyping - so and so group are poor tippers. Please see this article in Eater https://www.eater.com/2012/8/9/65567...rated-food-and
I think part of the issue is that some resent feeling coerced into tipping.
But none of that is UNKNOWN. The cost, whether it be the amount you chose to leave, or the sadness you get when people think you're cheap, is KNOWN. It's UP TO YOU whether you want to pay in cash or social pressure. The "this is too variable, I can't figure it out" excuse is just that - an excuse.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by pvn
But none of that is UNKNOWN. The cost, whether it be the amount you chose to leave, or the sadness you get when people think you're cheap, is KNOWN. It's UP TO YOU whether you want to pay in cash or social pressure. The "this is too variable, I can't figure it out" excuse is just that - an excuse.
Exactly! The point of tipping is not to provide money to the waiter (for which tipping is an inconsistent system fraught with fraud and abuse, and including the amount in the bill would be superior on many levels), it's so people can feel superior to others, be it the waiter or other customers!
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by innesst
Exactly! The point of tipping is not to provide money to the waiter (for which tipping is an inconsistent system fraught with fraud and abuse, and including the amount in the bill would be superior on many levels), it's so people can feel superior to others, be it the waiter or other customers!
I am sorry if that's the case for you and for those who have to satisfy their superiority.
For the waiters I have known, - the primary point of being tipped is to earn money. (And yes, they will accept tips even from arrogant customers.) And just in case you weren't aware: in some (many?) restaurants, the tips constitute the majority of waters' income, as the hourly rate is sometimes even below the minimum wage.
And the point for me, as a tipper, is to provide an [additional] incentive for the waiters to do their job right and [secondary] as a way to express appreciation for the job done right.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
They said they would. Instead, they upped my ante another $5.
I always get a revised copy of the folio (even on award stays showing 0 balance) for this reason, though depending on when you ate breakfast vs check out I suppose it could show up later
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:50 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kimikoftokyo
In situations like these either Hotel or not I always tip cash. Between 5-10 dollars depending on what I am eating. ( lunch, dinner etc)
It always amazes me that in other places you can get a full meal for the amount you pay the person who takes your order and brings a plate and a drink. The amount being tipped is seemingly completely out of proportion with the service rendered.

HTB.
Brendan likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:57 am
htb

Originally Posted by pvn
...On the other hand, if service workers (who depend on tips for their living) know in advance that you're not going to tip them, you're going to get worse service.
I'm still ahead of the game because my interactions have gone more smoothly, I've gotten what I need with less teeth pulling, etc.
That's exactly the problem with tip-based service: service deteriorates unless you shower everyone with money. This problem is absent when no tip is being expected and things run smoothly as well. Of course, it shifts some responsibility to management to sort out people who underperform in their position. In a tip-based environment these people just starve and are gone before long (unless of course you consider a 10% tip for horrible service the absolute minimum)...

HTB.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:12 am
htb

At the very, very least, properties should allow housekeeping tips to go to the folio. (Or is this already possible?) They should even allow points for it, which would be a staff benefit by encouraging it.
What "housekeeping tips"? Who would ever have the idea that making up your room is not part of the price you pay for the room? Do I have to fear that they will dip my toothbrush into the toilet if I didn't leave an adequate tip? I don't want to even think about this!

Originally Posted by pvn
Quote:
This would also fix the problem of charging a different amount to carry a plate with a steak instead of a hamburger.
How is that a problem if you're just considering the final total and not worrying how much is "burger" (or "room rate") and how much is "tip" (or resort fee)? You're simultaneously advocating that people ignore what the line items are labeled and trying to micro-manage the line items.
But that's not the case. You are expected to tip a percentage (that has crept up from 10 to 15 to now 20%) of the price of the meal. There was even discussion in this thread that you are expected to tip $80 for opening a $400 bottle of wine. Don't now turn around and say that one can tip whatever seems appropriate. Not in the US.

HTB.

Last edited by htb; Dec 3, 2017 at 4:17 am
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:28 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by htb
It always amazes me that in other places you can get a full meal for the amount you pay the person who takes your order and brings a plate and a drink. The amount being tipped is seemingly completely out of proportion with the service rendered.

HTB.
Don't tip that much, then. None of us will ever know.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:31 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by htb
But that's not the case. You are expected to tip a percentage (that has crept up from 10 to 15 to now 20%) of the price of the meal. There was even discussion in this thread that you are expected to tip $80 for opening a $400 bottle of wine. Don't now turn around and say that one can tip whatever seems appropriate. Not in the US.
What's "not the case"??? The poster I was replying to was saying that it makes sense to ignore the fact that a resort fee is tacked on and to only consider the total when making a decision. How come you can't do that when ordering food? If you know the menu price of a burger is $10, why is it impossible to account for the tip and base your decision on a cost of $11.50?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:51 am

Perhaps a good compromise -- keeping in mind that a compromise is a choice that everyone finds fault with -- is to treat tips like a resort fee. Fixed and hated.

By making it known upfront, it's just part of the cost that customers can compare.
Except resort fees are typically not known at first glance when looking at prices.

Hotel owners love resort fees for the same reason restaurant owners love tips (and airlines love baggage fees while we're at it):
Income that's not disclosed in the initial price customers see, that's exempt from tax (local hotel excise taxes / social security / federal transit), and that customers generally have no choice but to pay anyway, but with some vague have waving about how things are optional.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by pvn
The questions about it being known or unknown was another poster. I agree that the expected tip is generally known in advance. I challenged the statement that tipping is completely up to you. I submit that statement is disingenuous as there are very real, likely consequences for not tipping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.