Search

Status Match in 2018?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:37 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Status Match in 2018?

Thus far the merger between SPG and MR has provided the same benefit level (Gold / Platinum) in both programs provided your are at that level in one of them. Is this going to continue into the future?

I ask because it is much easier to gain Gold status with SPG than with Marriott.

Is there a chance that they will "level" the field in 2018 to get the programs in sync? 50 nights with Marriott gets you gold, while 50 nights with SPG gets you platinum.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The programs aren't due to formally merge until late '18/early '19, so my guess (and it's only that) is that the current programs/qualifications for '18 will be the same as they are now.

Cheers.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
There's been no news of any changes.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
Thus far the merger between SPG and MR has provided the same benefit level (Gold / Platinum) in both programs provided your are at that level in one of them. Is this going to continue into the future?

I ask because it is much easier to gain Gold status with SPG than with Marriott.

Is there a chance that they will "level" the field in 2018 to get the programs in sync? 50 nights with Marriott gets you gold, while 50 nights with SPG gets you platinum.
As has been noted here, the next step will be a single, combined program whose details have not yet been announced. Sharon's reading of the probable start date is consistent with published hints from Marriott executives.

I think it's completely safe to assume that the current elite status linking (and the current ability to transfer points between the programs) will continue until there is a single program.

I think it's also safe to assume that the elite qualification requirements for Rewards and SPG will not change while these remain separate programs.

Once there is a combined program, it's likely that your higher status in Rewards or SPG will be your initial status in the combined program. But, after that, re-qualifcation will be based on the as-yet-unannounced rules of the combined program.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
I ask because it is much easier to gain Gold status with SPG than with Marriott. 50 nights with Marriott gets you gold, while 50 nights with SPG gets you platinum.
Instead of hoping that the fields level out, you should take advantage and get your 25 stays on SPG to lock in Platinum till 2019 Feb.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:56 am
soy

Programs: various
Raffles blog http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/09...rade-to-first/ noticed a change to the spg credit card terms that talk about the card earning being extended through Dec 2018.

Another hint that the programs will not change before 2019. It would make sense that they change at the end of the membership year to keep things as smooth as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.