Marriott Atlanta Emory Rant

Old Sep 4, 17, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Marriott Atlanta Emory Rant

As a lifetime plat with over 3000 nights and who knows how many points I find myself having the first legit gripe with a Marriott Hotel. Sure I've had a few things here and there but with a word to the front desk all has been good.
Saturday the 2nd, booked a night for my friends daughters wedding at a church close by. I was late booking and did not get the wedding rate so I paid full price. ( still was booked 2 months in advance)
Requested early check in 3pm and was acknowledges with mobile check in so my wife could get ready.
No room available till 4:15, requested double and ended up
In a king with a rollaway, no big deal but not what was requested or confirmed.
Late check out denied (. 12:30 requested)
No Platinum welcome or recognition given. Nada , zip!

I asked to
Speak to a manager at check out and was told there was nothing the front desk could do and the Manager was dealing with "an issue"
Hotel was booked for SEC games, our groups wedding and a cultural gathering so busy but no excuse.
I will be complaining to Marriott but really needed to vent.
Old Sep 4, 17, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Did you claim for no PAG prior to checkout?
If the double bed was guaranteed in your reservation, did you claim for the king provided (can't claim for both but if you blew off the PAG you can still claim for bedding guarantee)
Was this one of those hotels that are exempt from the 4PM checkout guarantee (assuming you asked for late checkout at checkin as required to invoke the guarantee)?

Originally Posted by tuono07 View Post
As a lifetime plat with over 3000 nights and who knows how many points I find myself having the first legit gripe with a Marriott Hotel. Sure I've had a few things here and there but with a word to the front desk all has been good.
Saturday the 2nd, booked a night for my friends daughters wedding at a church close by. I was late booking and did not get the wedding rate so I paid full price. ( still was booked 2 months in advance)
Requested early check in 3pm and was acknowledges with mobile check in so my wife could get ready.
No room available till 4:15, requested double and ended up
In a king with a rollaway, no big deal but not what was requested or confirmed.
Late check out denied (. 12:30 requested)
No Platinum welcome or recognition given. Nada , zip!

I asked to
Speak to a manager at check out and was told there was nothing the front desk could do and the Manager was dealing with "an issue"
Hotel was booked for SEC games, our groups wedding and a cultural gathering so busy but no excuse.
I will be complaining to Marriott but really needed to vent.

Last edited by Srisarin; Sep 4, 17 at 6:55 pm
Old Sep 4, 17, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

I tried to claim the PAG but got nowhere with front desk. Waiting for Manager after 45min had to leave to take someone to airport
Old Sep 4, 17, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
So you claimed for the lack of PAG prior to checkout - therefore your claim is preserved - get CS involved.
That being stated, the lack of PAG often becomes a pi$$ing contest when the property claims you opted for points (even when the offer was never made - easy copout - here in Asia they at least provide a choice via a document but in the US no idea) likely easier to claim under the Plat guarantee for bedding guaranteed but not provided if the double was in fact part of your reservation.

I tried to claim the PAG but got nowhere with front desk. Waiting for Manager after 45min had to leave to take someone to airport
Old Sep 5, 17, 5:47 am

Have to say during SEC Championship weekend, I can't tell you how many stories I have gotten from Friends or experienced myself hotels walking people. A lot of times I think they walk the lower rate reservations so they can then resell the rooms at the crazy rack rate when everything sells out for big game weekends. Tickets for the game this past weekend were in the 800 range to give you an idea. I never been a big fan of the Emory Marriott.
Old Sep 6, 17, 12:38 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I have mixed (mostly negative) feelings on this property.

[Most of] the staff is friendly and tries their hardest, but the physical plant is just off-putting.

There is very little chance of an upgrade here as there are very few upgraded rooms. The ones that do exist are a Junior Suite type setup next to the ice machine with a giant gap under the door and a connector door.

Housekeeping is mediocre at best, the mattress is a bloc-o-foam, and the decor is old.

On one stay here, the room (junior suite) was unbearably hot in 3/4 of the room, which turned out to be due to the fact that one of the two A/C units was completely missing from its wall enclosure

That said, I continue to stay here when the price is right as it seems par for the course for hotels in most areas of ATL...
Old Sep 6, 17, 7:00 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
I think the worst part about this is not getting early OR late checkout. I could see not getting both (particularly early since that's not an official benefit), but they must have been giving someone else an early/late checkout as I don't see how realistically they could not allow anyone to check out after 12 and still not have rooms available before 4:15.
Old Sep 6, 17, 7:28 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Originally Posted by NDDomer86 View Post
...but the physical plant is just off-putting.
Maybe this will give you some perspective, or maybe it's just me... When I first moved to Atlanta in 1986 I lived in an apartment across the street on Clairmont. This hotel was what I saw out my window. At the time, it was a Sheraton. It was rebadged a couple years later to Marriott, but it has always felt like a rebadged Sheraton to me, both in layout and staff execution. While I have had some good stays at Sheratons, everything always seems a little hit or miss as compared to most Marriotts.
Old Sep 6, 17, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

An update on my Marriott rant.
I contacted the manager and explained my disappointment with my stay outlining the delay on check in, no plat welcome, no
Late checkout ........
I received a response last night with an apology and explanation ( not an excuse) in a very nice email.
The hotel has credited my room cost and taxes.
Can't ask for more than that.
BTW hotel has a planned remodel
Old Sep 6, 17, 9:04 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

That's a good ending then!
Old Sep 7, 17, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott LTPP, UA Silver (via Marriott), WN CP, Choice Platinum
An update on my Marriott rant.
I contacted the manager and explained my disappointment with my stay outlining the delay on check in, no plat welcome, no
Late checkout ........
I received a response last night with an apology and explanation ( not an excuse) in a very nice email.
The hotel has credited my room cost and taxes.
Can't ask for more than that.
BTW hotel has a planned remodel
I'm glad to hear that management was responsive. Hopefully they take it as an opportunity to do some practice remediation rather than just using this as a one-time brush-off.
Old Sep 12, 17, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Credit recieved for both room and taxes as promised. I also received points for paid stay which I told them they could remove and was told to keep them.