Wiki Posts
Search

Irons, Yes, Ironing, No

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I include a 25' extension cord...
Well, RogerD, there's a difference between you and me: I'll admit, you're is longer than mine and I'm jealous. Mine is only 15' and it's sometimes not long enough to get to the bed.

I actually need it for a projector and it is strong enough to handle that but I've always been afraid that it won't be strong enough for an iron. Years ago (1986) I had a space heater plugged into an extension cord. It caught my futon on fire. Firemen were in the condo hacking apart the futon. I'm very careful using extension cords on power-sucking appliance ever since.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Well, RogerD, there's a difference between you and me: I'll admit, you're is longer than mine and I'm jealous. Mine is only 15' and it's sometimes not long enough to get to the bed.

I actually need it for a projector and it is strong enough to handle that but I've always been afraid that it won't be strong enough for an iron. Years ago (1986) I had a space heater plugged into an extension cord. It caught my futon on fire. Firemen were in the condo hacking apart the futon. I'm very careful using extension cords on power-sucking appliance ever since.
Yes, safety is, and should always be a concern. Mine is one of those heavy round cords with a triple plug so I can handle the laptop, cell phone, and still have a spare plug. There have too many wild safari hunts for a usable outlet to justify anything less. ... and should I need something to tie my suitcase close, I'm set!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Stayed at a fairly new SHS last night where the iron and ironing board were stored in the wardrobe as usual. However, given the shortness of the wardrobe and how they had mounted the iron holder, the associated ironing board was at best 3 foot / 1 meter long and the top of the board stood about 30 inches / 0.75 meters off the floor.

I'm 6'2" / 1.87m so I was stooping over to try and iron as well as having to hold my shirt sides and arm sleeves from touching the floor. I must have spent 10 minutes spinning the ironing board, holding my shirt, and having to use the bar area to put down the hot iron since there wasn't enough area on the board.

After finally finishing the task, I got my stuff and headed downstairs. On dropping off the room key, I asked the 6' tall desk clerk if they had any full sized ironing boards and she said she didn't think so - and understood my dilemma in trying to iron.

Fail.

David
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I didn't think lamp outlets could handle the wattage for irons?
A typical iron consumes 1,100 Watts on high. I doubt hotels equip their rooms with better-than-average irons; it's a checklist item they have to have, not a point of differentiation discerning guests make. I'd be surprised if any outlet made or sold in US the past 30 years couldn't handle 1,100W. At 110V AC that'd be less than 10 Amps. That's very light duty for residential use, let alone commercial use.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
A typical iron consumes 1,100 Watts on high. I doubt hotels equip their rooms with better-than-average irons; it's a checklist item they have to have, not a point of differentiation discerning guests make. I'd be surprised if any outlet made or sold in US the past 30 years couldn't handle 1,100W. At 110V AC that'd be less than 10 Amps. That's very light duty for residential use, let alone commercial use.
We're talking about the lamp bases with outlet sockets in them, not the wall sockets themselves. I could swear that I have seen lamps with warnings about plugging in 4, or if not 6, amps maximum.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
I didn't think lamp outlets could handle the wattage for irons?
We're talking about the lamp bases with outlet sockets in them, not the wall sockets themselves. I could swear that I have seen lamps with warnings about plugging in 4, or if not 6, amps maximum.
I use the in-lamp or in-desk outlets you're describing all the time for ironing and they work perfectly fine in handing the output needed. The only issue is that those sockets often have a loose hold on the plug, so if you're not paying attention it's easier to accidentally unplug while you're ironing... or using your phone before falling asleep.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
More than once a hotel iron has not worked or stopped working for me because there isn't enough power in the outlet. This is not an unusual thing. Those Ambassador or Sunbeam irons suck energy.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
I use the in-lamp or in-desk outlets you're describing all the time for ironing and they work perfectly fine in handing the output needed. The only issue is that those sockets often have a loose hold on the plug, so if you're not paying attention it's easier to accidentally unplug while you're ironing... or using your phone before falling asleep.
A while ago, I purchased a set of six one-foot extension cords, carrying one or two with me on trips. In your situation, I think that might come in handy in terms of not jiggling the lamp connection so much. A bit OT, but it came in useful on a recent cruise where the outlet was at the far end of a tapered shelf, so that I was able to plug in more things with more space.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I always bring an extension cord and a small power strip with me. I don't iron. Just lots of things that need charging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.