Wiki Posts
Search

Door left open

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, UA Club, Marriott/SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Amex Plat
Door left open

My wife is travelling (I am home) and we are dealing with a situation, I wanted to get some FT advice. This is a new one for us, FWIW we both frequent and experienced travelers.

I'll stick to details and try to keep it anonymous.

(1) She arrives mid-morning to a mid-size mid-west city (lots of mids- apparently...), think SLC-ish.
(2) Checks in to mainline Marriott hotel
(3) Leaves for work, takes valuables but leaves suitcase and a few things on the bed
(4) Put DnD sign on door
(5) Arrives back after work, call it 6ish, to her door wide open (not even sure how this is possible, as usually doors shut themselves)
(6) Things are moved slightly (some bags on the bed), but nothing obviously missing
(7) Front desk says they are having issues with locks, they are not secure, and 'management company' is looking into it (don't have more details on this--seems suspicious).
(8) She asks manager to look further into it
(9) Offered 25k points which she refused (at this juncture not about points)
(10) Moved into new room at her request/insistance
(11) She calls front desk a couple hours later, the day manager has left with no followup, and did not talk to anyone coming on

I suggested pushing the issue and demanding security look into any and all tapes available, though she is not seeing camera on floors or elevators. She will also contact manager in the morning and then Marriott corporate (she is Plat Elite if that makes it easier to get someone to listen). It really bothers us that they would put her in a room and then admit the locks are 'not secure.'

What else would you do? The innocent explanation is the likeliest--the front desk checked someone else in to the room or management company was working on locks. However, you can't be sure, and it is disturbing and violating at the same time.

Thanks for the input!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by sfo2bos
(7) Front desk says they are having issues with locks, they are not secure, and 'management company' is looking into it (don't have more details on this--seems suspicious).
It really bothers us that they would put her in a room and then admit the locks are 'not secure.'
That's not good to hear.
An issue with that one door lock specifically? Every lock in the property?

I would:
- ask to speak with the GM
- ask to be walked to another hotel.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry305
That's not good to hear.
An issue with that one door lock specifically? Every lock in the property?

I would:
- ask to speak with the GM
- ask to be walked to another hotel.
From my understanding a general issue with some subset of locks, it was either 'the locks' or 'some of the locks.' Not my understanding that it was that singular lock. Good question to clarify (and the nature of the issue exactly).

I like the walk idea as well.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I'd like to know the property. Plenty of FTer's traveling weekly. Knowing these situations is very helpful.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I'd like to know the property. Plenty of FTer's traveling weekly. Knowing these situations is very helpful.
Agreed. If there is a hotel with broken locks checking people who do not know this into the hotel, it should be named. And why did your wife move into another room? She should be asked to be moved to another hotel: one with locks that all work!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Agreed. If there is a hotel with broken locks checking people who do not know this into the hotel, it should be named. And why did your wife move into another room? She should be asked to be moved to another hotel: one with locks that all work!
She was told this room was ok. I'll name once I have more details from the hotel, I think it is premature at the moment. Should be tomorrow once she can talk to someone more competent.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
She was told this room was ok. I'll name once I have more details from the hotel, I think it is premature at the moment. Should be tomorrow once she can talk to someone more competent.
I will defer to your judgement, as you know specifics, but hopefully the hotel is taking extra security measures tonight.

This reminds me of one of my favorite travel stories, which belongs to a woman I used to work with. She was awesome. Her mother was a little "country" and had not traveled much. When X was 22, she got a job with a large company and went on her first business trip. It was likely the early seventies. Her mother warned her to be careful with the hotel room, as there might be strangers hiding in the room. So X opened the door and looked in the closet, in the bathroom and under the bed. And there was a set of eyes staring back at her under the bed. She screamed. She ran into the hallway. Other coworkers heard her and ran into the hallway. The front desk was called. Someone from the hotel came to the room, went inside, checked, came back out and said something like, "Ma'am, the bed has a mirrored base. They eyes looking back at your were your own."
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
same happened to me at the Renaissance Kuala Lumpur last week after I called "at your service" at 0830 to report a non-functioning toilet, again at 0845 and at 0900 to the front desk. Came back from breakfast at 10-ish and found the door left completely open. Called security - they asked maintenance and they lied - but the CCTV showed otherwise. Via CS only received an apology and requested to return - no thanks - I don't need the lack of service nor security issues - there are other choices in KL which I'll be opting for on my next visit.

My wife is travelling (I am home) and we are dealing with a situation, I wanted to get some FT advice. This is a new one for us, FWIW we both frequent and experienced travelers.

(1) She arrives mid-morning to a mid-size mid-west city (lots of mids- apparently...), think SLC-ish.
(3) Leaves for work, takes valuables but leaves suitcase and a few things on the bed
(4) Put DnD sign on door
(5) Arrives back after work, call it 6ish, to her door wide open (not even sure how this is possible, as usually doors shut themselves)
(6) Things are moved slightly (some bags on the bed), but nothing obviously missing
(11) She calls front desk a couple hours later, the day manager has left with no followup, and did not talk to anyone coming on

I suggested pushing the issue and demanding security look into any and all tapes available, though she is not seeing camera on floors or elevators. She will also contact manager in the morning and then Marriott corporate (she is Plat Elite if that makes it easier to get someone to listen). It really bothers us that they would put her in a room and then admit the locks are 'not secure.'

What else would you do? The innocent explanation is the likeliest--the front desk checked someone else in to the room or management company was working on locks. However, you can't be sure, and it is disturbing and violating at the same time.

Thanks for the input!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,

(4) Put DnD sign on door

Thanks for the input!
Argh! You have to tell us the property name and city. Others will certainly want to know and perhaps avoid for the near term.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Argh! You have to tell us the property name and city. Others will certainly want to know and perhaps avoid for the near term.
OP has no obligation to do any such thing.
There'd already been 2 requests in this thread; that'll do.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I would be out of that hotel like a bat of hell.

The management has already admitted that they have a serious security issue. That would be enough for me.

Any hotel where "the locks are not secure" is just bad news, pure and simple.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I was hesitant as I had only second hand information, and wanted the whole picture.

apparently the ineffective manager meant there was a problem with THAT door locking, specifically the hinges closing correctly, which left it open. As this is not property-wide, I'll refrain from naming.

Apologies for the confusion.

They are now claiming housekeeping left it open, despite the DnD sign being up. We are writing in to corporate.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I would speak directly to the GM, check out of the hotel immediately, and push for compensation. That is completely unacceptable.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Thanks and I saw the other requests. No one is obligated to do anything but the value in making this type post without that information is one notch above worthless.

"Oh I went to Panera Bread today and a rat crawled across the counter while I was ordering" - wouldn't you want to know which location?
joshua362, Mr. Vker and Franky16 like this.

Last edited by Collierkr; Aug 15, 2017 at 10:40 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
How do you know it was only that room not closing? Really wouldn't expect the property fess up to many with the problem. Regardless, housekeeping entered the room with the DND sign? Why? And they didn't make sure the door closed behind them? Who else entered the room while the door was open?

I'd be out of there pretty quick! Male or female, there is no since in risking personal safety. We used to put people at a property with outside hallways. It only took one report of apparent homeless wondering around checking doors to pull all people and scratch that property from the suggested property list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.