Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bloody Sheet Surprise @ Courtyard Indianapolis Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Hertz PC , Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist

So, I checked in late last night to the Courtyard in Indy by the airport. I peeled back the blankets this morning to find this lovely stain waiting for me. Disgusting at best. These sheets were clearly not changed and I'm not sure how something this big could be missed.

I tried to contact the hotel front desk, but it was busy. I had an early meeting so I didn't have a chance to stop at the desk to complain unfortunately. Tried the chat feature in the app on the way to my meeting and that resulted in nothing as it time out before they could respond.

I did contact corporate, but I haven't heard back from them (not that I would expect it before 24hrs).

Have any of your weary road warriors come up on something like this before?

I've attached two photos - as you can see it had soaked through to the mattress pad as well.

I'm not really expecting much from Marriott but I feel I am owed something as this is ridiculous.
Attached Images   
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL,HH,MR,Hertz
Wow, that's awful. I will now be pulling back the sheets to make sure there's nothing like that before I get in any hotel bed. I think they should comp you the night completely for that. Since you didn't notice it before you went to bed, I hope they don't give you a hard time and imply that you caused that. Yeesh.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I am not much on people asking for comp for trivial items. This is NOT trivial. I would want 50k for this seriously. Not just a psychological issue. Hygiene and more than I want to consider. Thanks for naming the property. Stuff happens-I get that, but they need to make this big wrong-right-in a big way.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Its not Aunt Flo's sheets that have me worried. Its the fact that this hotel doesn't swap out sheets and presumably pillowcases after every guest checks out is the real cause for concern. As exterminators say, the termites you see aren't the problem, it's the orders of magnitude more that you don't see.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by catocony
Its the fact that this hotel doesn't swap out sheets and presumably pillowcases after every guest checks out is the real cause for concern.
... or, you know, mistake. Until they invent the room-clearing robot human error means someone might have thought they'd changed the sheets they're making up, especially if there's a lot of rooms to be cleaned in a short time.

Go for the points, sure, but I'd be loath to indict the entire hotel over this.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
Just to clarify -- you said "checked in late last night" and "peeled back the blankets this morning"...

Are you using those terms interchangeably or did you still sleep in this room??? (hopefully on a different surface...but even then...)
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... or, you know, mistake. Until they invent the room-clearing robot human error means someone might have thought they'd changed the sheets they're making up, especially if there's a lot of rooms to be cleaned in a short time.

Go for the points, sure, but I'd be loath to indict the entire hotel over this.
The one bed they didn't put clean sheets on was the one drenched in menstrual blood? That's a very unlikely coincidence.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The one bed they didn't put clean sheets on was the one drenched in menstrual blood? That's a very unlikely coincidence.
Given the position of a human body sleeping in the bed, the problem would be halfway down the bed/mattress. If the maid just made up the bed & didn't change sheets, she might have pulled the sheets/comforter up from the mid-point & missed the blood.

I caused a similar problem about 15 years ago in the UK that ended up being due to a medical condition that required major surgery just after my return to the US. When the problem started (night before my departure), I laid a towel down (halfway down the mattress) to try & prevent blood soaking through sheets/mattress cover.

However, I left a note on the pillow alerting the maid to the problem & left a very big tip (and it was an exclusive hotel), so I'm assuming the sheets in my room were changed before the next guest checked in. I was petrified that night & on the entire flight back to the US thinking I might hemorrhage out. My unexpected medical situation was worse than what the OP encountered, but that's TMI & thank gawd no pics.

FWIW - while I left a note alerting the maid to the situation, I could see someone else being totally embarrassed, pushing the covers up over the blood stain & checking out w/o saying to the FDC er, there's a problem & just assuming that housekeeping would change the sheets/deal with it, not knowing that housekeeping didn't change the sheets.

I do agree w/ the other FTers that something like this deserves some compensation, but also the GM needs to address housekeeping procedures.

Cheers.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Hertz PC , Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by obunewbie17
Just to clarify -- you said "checked in late last night" and "peeled back the blankets this morning"...

Are you using those terms interchangeably or did you still sleep in this room??? (hopefully on a different surface...but even then...)
I had two double beds - an upgraded Courtyard suite. I pulled the bed covers back on the first bed - saw a bit of a stain, thought "ewww gross" and just moved to the other bed since there was another bed. In the morning I took a better look and was appalled. The stain was worse than I thought in the daylight. I haven't heard anything from Marriott and I guess I don't expect to. I'm not a "hey they owe me XX,XXX points for this" kind of guy, but this really can't happen. I'm Marriott loyal and probably will be, but dang that was gross.

I'm probably too lenient, but hopefully they'll do right by me.

Last edited by tampatravel; Aug 3, 2017 at 7:51 pm
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I had a similar problem earlier this summer at a hotel in Williamsburg, VA that used to be a Marriott but was reflagged a DT under a different chain (HH). I slept on the left side of the king the first night. In the morning, on the right side of the king bed just under the top sheet and blanket I noticed a small red spot that I didn't the night before (I think the sun shining in the room helped). I pulled the sheet and blanket back to find 3 quarter sizes spots of dried blood. I packed up my bag, went down to front desk and showed the pictures on my iPhone. The FD supervisor was horrified. She initially offered 2,000 points. I asked her to comp my room for the night and move me to a different room for the remaining two nights and of my stay, which she did without hesitation.

If I were OP, I would push for points equal to a one night stay at the CY, or comp the first night.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:13 pm

I don't care if the person who had the room before me made up their own bed or not. Beds should be stripped down and fresh sheets done for every new guest. I'm ok if they don't swap out sheets every day while I have the room, but I fully expect clean sheets the first night in any room.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:27 am
Suspended

Good God that is disgusting. I would freak if I ever saw that.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Totally inexcusable. I might take the sheets down to the front desk with me. I guaranty you I would get the FDM's attention.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't care if the person who had the room before me made up their own bed or not. Beds should be stripped down and fresh sheets done for every new guest. I'm ok if they don't swap out sheets every day while I have the room, but I fully expect clean sheets the first night in any room.
This +1000
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:15 am

I was on travel and stopped by the super 8, Pennsville just of i95. all is well when I check in.

As I'm getting ready to take a shower, I see that the shower curtain is fully extended, and is at a max 18" or so wide, while the actual shower curtain rod is about 3 or 4 feet. Being a somewhat decent photographer, my cellphone captures this and a short video to show that the shower curtain must have been sewn in a way that it can't extend more that 18" or so.

Go figure...I show the video/pic to the desk downstairs and I'm immediately looked at like W.T.F. and am given another room without question.

Maybe I should email corporate about this instance, as I'm a loyal wyndham rewards member and have stayed at this property before.......wudyathink?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.