Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

getting MR points from booking.com reservation?

Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:53 am
Original Poster

If I make a reservation through booking.com will I still receive the MR points and the associated Platinum benefits?

I want to make a hotel reservation for December, 2017. The price is basically the same on booking.com and marriott's website. However, through Marriott its a pre-pay rate and there are no cancellation after 1 day. On booking.com the cancellation is 24 hours prior to arrive.

Since the reservation is so far out, I am worry about the no cancellation policy. But I also want to lock in the hotel as its in a popular destination and during the peak holiday season.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Booking.com? Booking.No

Rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com, Orbitz.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, etc. are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit.
That's the T&C's. YMMV.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You will get points for incidental spend on 3rd party bookings, but not for room spend or night credit. Also, Marriott is one of the few chains that still extends elite recognition benefits (ie, free i-net, potential upgrade, exec lounge access) on 3rd party bookings.

Cheers.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by Commie
I want to make a hotel reservation for December, 2017. The price is basically the same on booking.com and marriott's website. However, through Marriott its a pre-pay rate and there are no cancellation after 1 day. On booking.com the cancellation is 24 hours prior to arrive.
Is there a cancellable rate available on the Marriott website that is more than the booking.com rate? If so, book that, and file a LNF claim. Best of both worlds.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You will get points for incidental spend on 3rd party bookings, but not for room spend or night credit. Also, Marriott is one of the few chains that still extends elite recognition benefits (ie, free i-net, potential upgrade, exec lounge access) on 3rd party bookings.

Cheers.
That's interesting. As I've never booked at any of the chains using an OTA I wasn't aware of this.

Is this a formal or informal policy? (ie is it anywhere in writing)
Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Is this a formal or informal policy? (ie is it anywhere in writing)
It's amazing what you can find when you take the time visit Marriott.com:
http://www.marriott.com/online-hotel...ng.mi#bestrate
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
It's amazing what you can find when you take the time visit Marriott.com:
http://www.marriott.com/online-hotel...ng.mi#bestrate
Sorry for asking! But I'm short on intelligence so can you point me to the particular words on this page which enumerate the status benefits that SkiAdcock described when booking through sites like Hotels.com?

What SkiAdcock said is perfectly true, in fact I just checked it with the FD manager of Marriott WAW while sitting in the exec lounge, but I don't see anything on the link you gave that confirms the status benefits of OTA bookings.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:44 pm

Silly me. I assumed you were asking about LNF, and provided the relevant link.

Elite benefits for OTA reservations have been discussed ad nauseam in this forum and confirmed by Marriott.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:54 pm

How does one get the benefits from the property when booking third party? Do you email the property ahead of time, or do you show them your status at check in?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by myko85
How does one get the benefits from the property when booking third party? Do you email the property ahead of time, or do you show them your status at check in?
Usually your elite # is not on a 3rd party booking, so you'll need to show proof of elite status at check in.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.