Wiki Posts
Search

Best Marriot/Ritz in France/Spain

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG - Spire Ambassador, SPG - Platinum, CI - Gold
Best Marriot/Ritz in France/Spain

I am looking to use my seven consecutive stays Marriott certificate somewhere in France or Spain. Any recommendations on the best hotel overall, and one that would maximize the value of the certificate?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It would help others to help you if you provided more details on what you want/don't want in a property. What is best to one person is not best to another. Again, the more details you provide, the better the input back to you.

Cheers.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

I guess i am looking for the Marriot/Ritz hotel in Spain/France that is usually very expensive. Something that maximizes my returns on points spent on getting the seven days credit.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
But ... are you looking to go to Paris, to the countryside, or to a beach? Both countries have have lots of choices. If all you care about is which hotel is the most expensive, look in Paris or Monaco/Nice.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Marriot only has 30 hotels in France, 75 in Spain but mostly AC Hotels, and 5 in Portugal. there is actually no Ritz or JW Marriot or Autograph in Paris......and yes i would like to stay in Paris, but i just dont think it would maximize the value of the reward considering there are no Ritz/JW Marriot/Autograph in paris. Maybe there is a nice Marriot that you think is really good?

Okay let's make this simpler of all the JW Marriort/Ritz Carlton/Autograph Collection in France, Spain, and Portugal which one would be your favorite one. Don't worry what I would prefer, the reason why I am asking is i want to know what is your favorite.

Here is the list:
France
JW Marriott Cannes
L'Hermitage Gantois, Autograph Collection
Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection
Hotel de Bourgtheroulde, Autograph Collection

Spain
Hotel Arts Barcelona (Ritz Carlton)
Cotton House Barcelona (Autograph)
AC Palacio De Santa Paula (Autograph)
AC Santo Mauro, (Autograph)
AC Palacio Del Retiro (Autograph)

Portugal
Fontecruz Lisboa, Autograph Collection
Penha Longa Resort
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:04 am

Arts without any doubt. One of my favorite hotels in Europe.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LTT + Ambassador
Originally Posted by Epicura
Arts without any doubt. One of my favorite hotels in Europe.
+1
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Paris
There is no JW or RC or Autograph in Paris but I would say the 5 star Marriott Champs Elysees is high class from service aspect, location and ambience. I stayed there two years ago and liked it very much. It is also the most expensive one (not included SPG - Prince de Galles) in the French capital city (no. 2 is Renaissance Vendome, I liked it also).

The South of France / Cote d´Azur
The JW in Cannes is located a famous Croisette, a top location next to Carlton, with great views from terrace restaurant and rooftop bar. If you like more the classic ambience and historical places and don´t need the jet set all day IMHO the Boscolo Exedra in Nice is the better choice. And I always thought I should stay at Riviera Marriott Porte de Monaco - the day will come

Spain
Arts
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If the OP plans on spending any $$ at the property, he should remember that he won't get points for spend at the Arts since it's a RC. Also no club access (unless he pays for it) or free brekkie.

I get wanting to maximize points/value/return, but think it's a bit strange that that's the only criteria.

Cheers.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

I get wanting to maximize points/value/return, but think it's a bit strange that that's the only criteria.
+1

But if hotels are your only criteria, I don't have enough to compare the French hotels.

For Spain, I agree that the Arts is well above the rest. The Autograph properties in Madrid have character and decent location but I don't consider them particularly special.

Although, I actually prefer the Renaissance in Barcelona to the Arts and Cotton House. I find the Renaissance treats platinum members well and the location is excellent -- better than the Arts.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If the OP plans on spending any $$ at the property, he should remember that he won't get points for spend at the Arts since it's a RC. Also no club access (unless he pays for it) or free brekkie.

Cheers.
I redeemed the seven nights flight and hotel package to get the southwest companion pass. Now I have a seven consecutive day voucher that i need to figure out how to use. I guess my other criteria is the hotel to be in a location interesting enough where i can spend seven days. Maybe some place where I can do multiple day trips, or in city that i can easily spend seven days in. the reason why i limit it to france, and spain is because i bought Air France tickets to paris to utilize the Amex 20k offer for Air France +$1000 spend
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:22 am

If that's the basis for your choices, I'd focus on France rather than Spain. You're going to have a lot more options for day trips from Paris than Madrid or Barcelona -- although I found a lot to do with a week in Barcelona.

I'd look at the JW Cannes or some of the Marriott or Renaissance properties in Paris with great central locations. They are not JW or RC's but they are nice properties with great locations. I suspect there is a Paris thread on the site that you can search for that would help you compare location and amenities.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Poster

I agree Paris, and that's what a lot of my friends have recommended too. But, I've spent about a week time in Paris in my previous Europe trip. So I was leaning more towards a hotel in southern france and rent a car so I can drive around and visit the multiple coastal cities during the seven days.
BTW of the two cities Barcelona and Madrid which one is better for a seven consecutive day trip. In terms of things to do and day trips.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:00 pm

Personally, I prefer Barcelona to Madrid. There are several things in Barcelona to see, there are some nearby towns to see, and great culture. You can also take a day trip by air to as island. The problem is that if you want to get to Southern Spain -- Seville, for example, you'll need to spend the night. Then again, I have certainly had hotels for a week and spent a day or two in another town while keeping my other room.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by aircow33
I agree Paris, and that's what a lot of my friends have recommended too. But, I've spent about a week time in Paris in my previous Europe trip. So I was leaning more towards a hotel in southern france and rent a car so I can drive around and visit the multiple coastal cities during the seven days.
BTW of the two cities Barcelona and Madrid which one is better for a seven consecutive day trip. In terms of things to do and day trips.
If you want to drive around and see something Cannes would be more central and nearer towards Saint Tropez (1,5h-2h, the last km can be endless in summer), Marseilles (2h), Aix-en-Provence (1,5-2h) than Nice (Boscolo Exedra) or Monaco (Riviera Marriott) which are still close enough from Cannes for a visit. And you can relax evening at the JW with view to Croisette and the sea. Unless you like more the Nice flair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.