Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Resort for Family of Five Using Flight and Hotel Package (Using Southwest)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

This is full of newbie Marriott questions so feel free to move on now if that's not your thing.

I am trying to transfer SPG points to Marriott to get the flight and hotel package on Southwest. The main purpose is to get the companion pass, but I want to take advantage of the hotel stay, of course. I am actually going to do one for me and one for my wife, so we will have two award weeks. Before I transfer my SPG points to her, I need to know what category to pursue.

Is it possible to use the hotel weeks for a room for 5 guests?

Alternatively, are there any particular pitfalls to trying to use both awards to get two rooms in the same resort? I would prefer to use them separately and get two weeks out of them, of course.

Is it easy to find availability using these awards?

Any recommendations for a resort accessible from an airport served by Southwest? We would prefer something with a beach, but I'm definitely open to suggestions of places with other interesting attractions. Southwest Route Map

I had looked at Atlantis but then saw the reviews here and it sounds like that's not a great choice. I was looking at Mexico but then I got frustrated by the 5 guest issue so I have turned here. We would probably be looking at fall or winter but should be able to be pretty flexible. Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
I am in the process of doing the exact same thing. I just booked a seven day package in Orlando at the Royal Imperial Marriott Vacation Club. It is a category 7 hotel but it was worth the additional points. They offer three bedroom Villas but there are a few other Marriott Vacation club's that fall into category 7 that you could use for five people.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by pugsley21
I am in the process of doing the exact same thing. I just booked a seven day package in Orlando at the Royal Imperial Marriott Vacation Club. It is a category 7 hotel but it was worth the additional points. They offer three bedroom Villas but there are a few other Marriott Vacation club's that fall into category 7 that you could use for five people.
Apologize if you know this. Keep in mind, that your Cat 7 cert only gets the "guest room" accommodation at a MVCI property. Additional points are required to upgrade to 1, 2, and 3 bedrooms. This is true even if the property does not have smaller units. (Phuket Beach Club only has 2BR. They still calc points based on guest room plus upgrades.)

I do agree that MVCI is a great choice though.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, both of you. I had somehow missed the huge thread about these awards. Now that I have read through the recent posts in it, I decided to go with the category 5 redemption and get it changed down the road as our plans firm up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.