Wiki Posts
Search

Who Will Get the Points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Who Will Get the Points

Stayed at Marriott property last week for work. Company Supervisor reserved and paid for 5 rooms for us all under his name.

Checked in and gave my id and rewards number. No points posted.

Will I get credit and points for the stay or will it go to the person who booked and paid for the stay?

Folio has person who booked the rooms name on it. Not mine.

Last edited by Tmpy; Jan 24, 2017 at 4:14 pm
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Master billed to the company - no one gets points.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:23 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
Master billed to the company - no one gets points.
I'm going to guess this is a normal 5 room reservation under the Supervisor's name and the Supervisor paid for the the rooms. So probably the Supervisor will get the night/stay credits plus points for 3 of the rooms (the max number of rooms a person can get points from.)
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes, it depends on the arrangement. If a different personally personally stayed and paid for multiple rooms, that person get the points. Master billed, no one.

But either way, OP, if you didn't pay, you won't get points or nights.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, lots of facts unknown here. What was the arrangement with the property? Did the person book the rooms as a meeting planner? Were the charges moved to a single folio? Were the charges settled by a bill to the company or paid by CC?

T&Cs do call for the member to stay and pay to get credit for the room. A member can get credit for up to three rooms. The property can mess up and post all five rooms as individual stays. MR may audit the transaction and take back credit not due.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, lots of facts unknown here. What was the arrangement with the property? Did the person book the rooms as a meeting planner? Were the charges moved to a single folio? Were the charges settled by a bill to the company or paid by CC?

T&Cs do call for the member to stay and pay to get credit for the room. A member can get credit for up to three rooms. The property can mess up and post all five rooms as individual stays. MR may audit the transaction and take back credit not due.
Arrangement with the property: None, Manager just booked five rooms in Manager's name. Each person checked in seperately at different times of the day.
Rooms as a meeting planner: No
Charges on a single folio? Each person who stayed got their own bill under the Manager's name and billed to his credit card.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess no stay or points will be credited.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tmpy
Arrangement with the property: None, Manager just booked five rooms in Manager's name. Each person checked in seperately at different times of the day.
Charges on a single folio? Each person who stayed got their own bill under the Manager's name and billed to his credit card.(
Was the Managers personal loyalty number in the reservation?
Reads as if possibly a nice bonus for someone
But as above depends on the arrangement. Does your company have an agreement with Marriott? Stay at Marriott chain hotels frequently? Or was this a 1 off?
And as your name is not on the portfolio you get zlich (as in effect you were not there)
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Charges on a single folio? Each person who stayed got their own bill under the Manager's name and billed to his credit card.

So any opportunity to report this manager's greed up through any kind of channels??
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:04 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
So any opportunity to report this manager's greed up through any kind of channels??
Result probably being that people down the channel will be barred from receiving points as well. I would avoid that route.

If you are sure the manager took the points, let him know that you like getting points as well. If you are not sure about that, don't bring it up.

HTB.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry

Sounds like he may have had the rooms changed back to his name/number after you offered yours.

What I am unclear on is whether you had to pay him back. If yes, then he hi-jacked your points and you have to decide whether to say something to him about the practice. If not, then I would, personally, let it slide.

Sad part is that if he did not get nights credit and points credit for all the nights then some of those were lost entirely.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Michilander
Sad part is that if he did not get nights credit and points credit for all the nights then some of those were lost entirely.
Not all of them. While the Supervisor might only get points for up to 3 rooms/night, if he used a Marriott branded CC they could still get up to 5 pts/$ spent for all the rooms.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:22 am
Original Poster

The company has no loyalty to Marriott or no contracted rate. This week they are at the Hampton Inn. Supervisor's rewards number was not on the folio. It even stated he could have earned points for this stay. He has no interest in earning points. Ugh! I did not pay him back since he used his company credit card to pay for the rooms and add it to his expense acct.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:38 am

Supervisor's rewards number was not on the folio. It even stated he could have earned points for this stay.
I don't know the culture at your company nor do I know your relationship with your supervisor, but if it wouldn't cause you problems, you might ask your supervisor about letting you pay for the hotel's and expensing the charges. If the supervisor isn't interested in the points, maybe he won't have a problem if you are interested.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I don't know the culture at your company nor do I know your relationship with your supervisor, but if it wouldn't cause you problems, you might ask your supervisor about letting you pay for the hotel's and expensing the charges. If the supervisor isn't interested in the points, maybe he won't have a problem if you are interested.
Or the supervisor might start thinking that he should join & earn some points The conversation could go either way. He doesn't mind & will let the OP book in the future, or he might start wondering if the OP is booking hotels that might be more for the points.

Re: the OP's current scenario, sounds like (just a guess) the supervisor just thought it was easier to book all the rooms w/ the company credit card & have a single expense report than multiple ones.

Cheers.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before saying anything, the OP should examine the company travel policy to see whether there's something to the effect that individual employees keep the points and mikes they earn from business travel, etc.

It sounds like there's a lot of travel in small groups with the manager so that what happened will be a recurring event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.