Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Which Airline Will Win - UA or DL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Airline Will Win - UA or DL?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Frankly, it doesn't make sense to have both ...this is about a marketing relationship. UA and DL will pay more for an exclusive relationship. Giving a choice sounds good to us but isn't much help from the UA/DL/Marriott perspective.
I agree that each airline would pay more for an exclusive partnership, but would they pay twice as much? If not, then Marriott comes out ahead to partner with both, not to mention the customer goodwill and marketing benefit from having multiple partners.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:20 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I agree that each airline would pay more for an exclusive partnership, but would they pay twice as much? If not, then Marriott comes out ahead to partner with both, not to mention the customer goodwill and marketing benefit from having multiple partners.
Right I can see the marketing now... "1 hotel chain 2 airline alliance, come to Marriott"...
Old May 7, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I definitely will keep my fingers crossed for DL.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-platinum.html

CROSSOVER REWARDS PROGRAM ENDING ON JULY 15, 2018

Unless they have new program for MR new program
Old May 8, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Tough to say. Aug 1st is when systems start to merge (points are revalued, etc.) so they might just be waiting for the end combination of the two systems. And negotiation on what might be offered may be ongoing.

Wouldn't be surprised if United was the only airline still at the table in the end.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Those of you fantasizing about getting anything above Silver status on UA/DL are going to be sorely disappointed.
username, dayone, TomBrady and 1 others like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think most of us know about this and think this is the end.

However, somehow some people are thinking something else is in the works - and it is not simply based on the interpretation/hope that "maybe something will happen with the new program come 8/1 for DL"?
Old May 9, 2018, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by phltraveler
<br /><br />The fact that MR has already confirmed that UA RewardsPlus partnership will remain in effect with the Marriott minimum level being Premier Plat to get United silver is a clear show that the UA partnership will remain intact.<br /><br /><br />.
<br /><br />Hi, can you tell me where you saw this confirmed?<br /><br />I looked for an answer and found nothing. So I called both UA and MR - they said nothing is settled - thanks
Old May 9, 2018, 12:03 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
<br /><br />Hi, can you tell me where you saw this confirmed?<br /><br />I looked for an answer and found nothing. So I called both UA and MR - they said nothing is settled - thanks
I heard they are both still in negotiation... nothing has been confirmed..
Old May 9, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, so are we saying:

1 - UA is not necessarily in after 8/1 and
2 - DL is not necessarily out starting 8/1
Old May 9, 2018, 7:11 pm
t1c

Originally Posted by username
Wow, so are we saying:

1 - UA is not necessarily in after 8/1 and
2 - DL is not necessarily out starting 8/1
Yes its all up in the air...
Old May 9, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by t1c
Yes its all up in the air...
Are you saying AA is in the running also? (AA was prominently featured in "Up in the Air".)
Old May 10, 2018, 7:07 am
t1c

Originally Posted by username
Are you saying AA is in the running also? (AA was prominently featured in "Up in the Air".)
Ha funny...just transfers to AA..lol
Old May 11, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Just receive email from SPG promoting Delta crossover Rewards. Interesting!
Old May 11, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
https://members.marriott.com/faq/:

Originally Posted by Marriott

ARE THERE ANY CHANGES TO THE REWARDSPLUS PROGRAM WITH UNITED MILEAGEPLUS?

There are no changes to the United RewardsPlus offering. If you have Platinum Premier Elite status, you will still be able to link and upgrade your United MileagePlus Account to Premier® Silver status. In addition, all members receive bonuses when converting points to United MileagePlus miles and on RewardsPlus Hotel + Air Packages.
However, now I'm not so sure because of what t1c said:

Originally Posted by t1c
I heard they are both still in negotiation... nothing has been confirmed..
Just because United will be in according to that language (Plat Premier as a published status as of August 1st) doesn't mean that United can't be dropped in favor of Delta. Of course, Marriott could theoretically partner with two airlines, but I'm not sure that Delta or United would be too keen to be "status buddies". Of course, both airlines might find giving some sort of Marriott status to their elite members appealing enough that they're willing to provide some match to the top tier elites in the large merged chain, even non-exclusively.

Losing United would be a huge personal loss for me because going into NYC is a pain in the ... (much easier to get to EWR or LGA because don't have to drive as far in) and the limitation on flight length (1500 miles) from Laguardia makes DL a lot less appealing than UA. Of course, I don't think my individual preference is individually going to weigh into Marriott's negotiations or decision making at all...

Just receive email from SPG promoting Delta crossover Rewards. Interesting!
Haven't received it yet, but my SPG Plat account is from a status match, and if they're bulk emailing it may have just not hit my name yet. Or maybe it was a targeted email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.