Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is Marriott the worst points program or is it me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Marriott the worst points program or is it me?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2016, 3:47 am

who to contact

This is the email i received

Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi received your emails regarding your concerns with Marriott Vacation Club. Attorney General Bondi asked that I respond.

At the state level, the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) regulates timeshare plans in this state, pursuant to chapter 721, Florida Statutes (see www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes). We are forwarding your correspondence to the DBPR for review. Please contact the agency directly to follow up at:

Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation
Division of Florida Condominiums, Timeshares, and Mobile Homes
2601 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
Telephone: (850) 488-1122
Website: http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/lsc/timeshare.html
FAQs: http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr...shareFAQs.html

You can also find helpful information and consumer tips about timeshare and vacation plans online at:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...vacation-plans
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/topics/...sumer-problems

The Florida Bar offers a Lawyer Referral Service toll-free at (800) 342-8060 or online at http://www.floridabar.org/lawyerreferral. If you need help locating an attorney in your area, you may call the California Bar at (866) 442-2529 or visit http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/Lawy...rvicesLRS.aspx.

Thank you for contacting Attorney General Bondi's office. I hope this proves helpful.

Also you can contact Richard at Dept of business and professional regulation, timeshare sector at 407-650-4076 or write hi at the address 400 west Robinson, suite N908, Orlando , Florida 32801
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:27 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
It's a mistake to compare hotel cards on the basis of earning 1 point/dollar. Hilton points certainly are worth less apiece than SPG and Hyatt points, but Hilton makes its credit cards competitive by always paying MORE than 1 point/dollar. HH Surpass (Amex) pays 6 points/dollar on restaurants, gas, and grocery stores-- which together are a significant portion of my non-travel expenditure. I've made it my primary card for these categories.
Yep, that's what I was talking about! USA credit cards can make a huge difference to earn and burn rates and the value each scheme can provide.

For non-North American residents this can be a pretty binary discussion as hotel loyalty credit cards are few and far between and not very rewarding. As a result each scheme can be looked at against points per $ on stays and elite bonuses. As an EU resident my North American road trip last year that mixed staying in capital cities (Ottawa & DC), big cities (Montreal, Toronto and NYC), tourist (Niagara) and small towns, Marriott was marginally the best earn and burn with IHG/SPG fighting for close second and Hilton a clear last.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Even with that admission you've still got more facts wrong. The RC card only gives Gold one year:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...arlton-rewards
Automatic Gold Elite Status your first account year
As a new Cardmember, enjoy complimentary Gold Elite status in The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® program for your first account year. To continue to enjoy Gold Elite Status benefits, simply spend $10,000 your first year and each subsequent year to maintain your Gold Elite status.
after that it needs substantial spend.

On top of that, it's got a quite high annual fee of $395.

By contrast, the Hilton Amex Surpass card gives you HH Gold for $75 a year, every year you hold it, and the Hilton Citi Reserve card gives you HH Gold for $95 a year, every year you hold it.

So I don't see how a $395 annual fee + $10000 spend requirement a year (after the first year) is "giving status away".
I stand corrected. It is not give away. In my mind, I was thinking more like you could buy top elite status from credit card spent. You can do it with Marriott and Hilton but not with SPG or Hyatt. SPG only gives Gold and Hyatt only Plat.. which only gives you free internet pretty much.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Need
I stand corrected. It is not give away. In my mind, I was thinking more like you could buy top elite status from credit card spent. You can do it with Marriott and Hilton but not with SPG or Hyatt.
It's awfully hard to buy top-tier MR status with credit card spend. After the initial 15 nights from carrying the MR Visa card you'd need to spend $180,000 on the card to earn the other 60 nights required to reach Platinum. Comping status for $180k spend is not a giveaway.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 10:52 am

It's awfully hard to buy top-tier MR status with credit card spend. After the initial 15 nights from carrying the MR Visa card you'd need to spend $180,000 on the card to earn the other 60 nights required to reach Platinum. Comping status for $180k spend is not a giveaway.
Ritz CC will give you gold in the first year (10k spend in subsequent years for Gold) or Plat after 75k.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:19 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
It's a mistake to compare hotel cards on the basis of earning 1 point/dollar. Hilton points certainly are worth less apiece than SPG and Hyatt points, but Hilton makes its credit cards competitive by always paying MORE than 1 point/dollar. HH Surpass (Amex) pays 6 points/dollar on restaurants, gas, and grocery stores-- which together are a significant portion of my non-travel expenditure. I've made it my primary card for these categories.
If you like Hilton hotels, you absolutely are correct that the HHilton Surpass Amex is a nice deal as long as you aren't trying to redeem for their top tier properties costing 60-80K points--which largely mitigates the better earning for gas, restaurants, and groceries for most people. Fair point, indeed!

Unfortunately, Hilton has so few upscale or luxury hotels that I enjoy that it's just not of much interest to me, personally. The Conrads and few Waldorfs just can't get me excited about Hilton...as if the ridiculous redemption rates don't make it less worthwhile for me compared to the top tier properties in Starwood, Hyatt, etc.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:26 pm

It was the RC card with $75K spent. It was not giveaway, but it does allow you to purchase top elite status. I don't really stay at RC, but Marriott is great. I bought both Hilton and Marriott top status so I could take vacations with credit card points getting room upgrade, free breakfast, free internet, etc... and with Marriott plat I am also now United Silver. And also Hertz and Avis elites.

I never travel for work so there is no way I could have gotten any status with anything travel related if not for credit cards.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
BTW - I think we've all answered the OP's question - it's him/her

Cheers.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin
or, in particular, in the luxury segment (where Starwood's St Regis, Lixury Collection, and W properties total 255+ and exceed in absolute number whatever Marriott and Hilton offer
Actually, in the "Luxury" segment of the STR Global Chain Scales for 2016 there are 38 St. Regis, 102 Luxury Collection, and 49 W properties currently open worldwide. This compares to 99 Ritz Carlton, 84 JW Marriott, 5 Edition, and 4 Bulgari properties currently open worldwide in the Marriott family. So there are more Marriott branded properties currently operating under that definition of Luxury segment than SPG branded properties (192 Marriott, 189 SPG).

and far exceed Marriott or Hilton for properties considered aspirational by those who regularly stay at luxury hotels.
"Aspirational" is very much in the eye of the beholder. It also IMO doesn't depend on being assigned a particular brand by a hotel chain. Earlier this year I stayed at the ITC Maurya (a Luxury Collection Property). The property is quite nice, but you can see the view from my window at the bottom of this post. Even though it's a Luxury Collection property I personally don't consider it "aspirational". I also don't consider the Ritz Carlton Kapalua to be aspirational. YMMV!

Consider that over 3/4 of Marriott's portfolio has been less than upscale...while almost 90% of Starwood's portfolio is upscale or better. Hilton has an even greater proportion of less than upscale properties, and IHG is even greater. If you're looking for cheaper hotels, those chains serve you well...but not for nicer hotels. Marriott will remedy that with the addition of Starwood, of course...but that won't really make a difference until 2018 when the programs merge.
Again, it depends entirely on how you define "upscale". Based on your assessment that almost 90% of the SPG portfolio is upscale or better, there must be a great many of what you consider "upscale" 4 Points and Aloft properties since those brands constitute over 23% of the currently operating SPG properties.

As to definitions of what constitutes "upscale", the STR Global Chain Scales say one thing, and our personal experiences tell us another. Based on the STR scales all of the SPG brands, and all but Fairfield Inn, MOXY, and TownePlace Suites are considered "upscale" or better (those 3 MR brands constitute about 25% of MR's properties BTW). The STR grading is apparently based on average room rates rather than overall quality, so they don't actually say very much about what matters to us IMO.

We all have our own personal definitions of "upscale" and "aspirational". I'm sure others will come along and provide their own personal examples...

View of the adjacent area from my room at the ITC Maurya:
Attached Images  

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Aug 13, 2016 at 10:51 am
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:32 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Actually, in the "Luxury" segment of the STR Global Chain Scales for 2016 there are 38 St. Regis, 102 Luxury Collection, and 49 W properties currently open worldwide. This compares to 99 Ritz Carlton, 84 JW Marriott, 5 Edition, and 4 Bulgari properties currently open worldwide in the Marriott family. So there are more Marriott branded properties currently operating under that definition of Luxury segment than SPG branded properties (192 Marriott, 189 SPG).
I stand corrected for the total luxury properties available as of now. However, you can't use points at Bulgari properties, so SPG technically has more luxury properties available usng points now (189 SPG, 188 Marriott)--which was the original point.

Insofar as using points go, the SPG luxury properties require far fewer points or comparable spend to achieve those points compared with Marriott or Hilton or IHG. Of course, that becomes moot once Marriott merges programs with Starwood.

"Aspirational" is very much in the eye of the beholder. It also IMO doesn't depend on being assigned a particular brand by a hotel chain. Earlier this year I stayed at the ITC Maurya (a Luxury Collection Property). The property is quite nice, but you can see the view from my window at the bottom of this post. Even though it's a Luxury Collection property I personally don't consider it "aspirational". I also don't consider the Ritz Carlton Kapalua to be aspirational. YMMV!

Again, it depends entirely on how you define "upscale". Based on your assessment that almost 90% of the SPG portfolio is upscale or better, there must be a great many of what you consider "upscale" 4 Points and Aloft properties since those brands constitute over 23% of the currently operating SPG properties.

As to definitions of what constitutes "upscale", the STR Global Chain Scales say one thing, and our personal experiences tell us another. Based on the STR scales all of the SPG brands, and all but Fairfield Inn, MOXY, and TownePlace Suites are considered "upscale" or better (those 3 MR brands constitute about 25% of MR's properties BTW). The STR grading is apparently based on average room rates rather than overall quality, so they don't actually say very much about what matters to us IMO.

We all have our own personal definitions of "upscale" and "aspirational". I'm sure others will come along and provide their own personal examples.
I used upscale based entirely on the same STR categorization you used above. My point is that almost 3/4 of Marriott properties are below the upscale category--or below what almost anyone would qualify as aspirational--whereas the entire SPG portfolio is upscale or above. Again, that will become moot in 2018.

As I said, Marriott is not the worst, but it isn't the best. It probably will get better after merging programs with Starwood--but that remains to be seen until 2018.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I stand corrected for the total luxury properties available as of now. However, you can't use points at Bulgari properties, so SPG technically has more luxury properties available usng points now (189 SPG, 188 Marriott)--which was the original point.
You used the term "absolute number" and didn't qualify based on availability to use points. The simple fact is that the narrative that there are vastly more top end properties in SPG compared to MR is inaccurate.

Insofar as using points go, the SPG luxury properties require far fewer points or comparable spend to achieve those points compared with Marriott or Hilton or IHG. Of course, that becomes moot once Marriott merges programs with Starwood.
This argument has been hashed out many times since the merger was announced. My experience is that for purely hotel spend as a top level elite in either program I've received better hotel redemption value per dollar spent with MR than with SPG. The SPG Amex OTOH clearly offers better redemption value than any of the MR branded CCs for miscellaneous (non-hotel) spend.

I used upscale based entirely on the same STR categorization you used above. My point is that almost 3/4 of Marriott properties are below the upscale category
That is incorrect. The only MR brands that are below "Upscale" on the STR rankings are Fairfield Inn, MOXY, Protea, and TownePlace Suites (I missed Protea in my earlier post). Those four MR brands constitute less than 27% of MR's properties.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Aug 14, 2016 at 7:30 am
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott, United, national
Garbage... Actually

Originally Posted by hanly2
Last year I transferred 35k chase points to MR so that we could spend a night at Atlantis, but that trip didn't happen. Now I have been trying to use the Marriott points before they expire but they are worthless. I just looked up a Marriott in Pompano beach. It is $153 per night but it cost 35k points. How is that even possible that is less then 1/2 cent per point. Where as if they were chase points I could get 3 times that. Man this just really irks me, and I wanted to know if others feel the same.
So basically (if I have this right) you spend $10,000 for every 100 dollars..
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Or on the flip side, as a MR Plat I can spend $1250 at a Marriott property and along with my Visa card earn 25,000 points and redeem these points at the JW Phu Quoc where nightly rates are $400-$600 which is a very nice return on spend/redemption

Originally Posted by Byron Arnao
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Byron Arnao
Yes, converting Chase points to Marriott points is a bad deal.

For $10,000 spent at Marriott properties I would earn 200,000 MR points. 10 pts/$ + 50% Plat bonus + 5 pts/$ for using MR Visa.

200K points yields 5 nights at a Cat 9 hotel (180K points) total value $1800-2700 and 20K points left over.

It's always best to use points/miles in the program from which they were accrued. The only exception would be MR Hotel + Air Travel Packages combined with airline bonus offers, but that's another discussion.

While Chase/Chase Sapphire is good for the infrequent traveler, those of us that travel frequently use affinity cards associated with the programs we use and are most beneficial to us. I'm sure there are a lot better things for which to use Chase points than converting to Marriott points.

So to answer the OP's question, to a great extent it is you because converting Chase points to Marriott points is a bad deal, not that Marriott itself is bad deal. Actually Marriott has one of the best earn to burn ratios out there; but that's within its program.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
While Chase/Chase Sapphire is good for the infrequent traveler, those of us that travel frequently use affinity cards associated with the programs we use and are most beneficial to us.
While I agree that converting Chase UR to Marriott is a bad value, this I must strongly disagree with. CSP is probably the single best all around points earning card out there, with great bonus categories, outstanding insurance benefits, and several excellent transfer partners (including SQ, UA, BA, KE, and Hyatt). Just don't transfer your UR points to Marriott.

In fact, for Marriott stays, the CSP gives essentially the same return as the Chase Marriott, at around 4.5%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.