Wiki Posts
Search

RUMOR: UK Lounges Closing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards, BA Executive Club
Thumbs down RUMOR: UK Lounges Closing

I've just heard that the UK Marriotts are disbanding their lounges. Really disappointing as I'm finally closing in on gold status. With no lounge access, what's the point of gold?

(Sorry if this is duplicate, but couldn't find anything using the search facility)
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Where did you hear this? I find this 100% unbelievable.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CityRules
I've just heard that the UK Marriotts are disbanding their lounges. Really disappointing as I'm finally closing in on gold status. With no lounge access, what's the point of gold?

(Sorry if this is duplicate, but couldn't find anything using the search facility)
Cite?

Since a # of UK properties have just spent a great deal of money renovating & enlarging their exec lounges I'd be very surprised to hear that all of the UK properties are eliminating lounges. Actually not all of the UK properties (more outside of London & smaller) have lounges, but do honor free breakfast etc).

We do have a report of one Marriott that is scaling back on its exec lounge offerings in the evenings, where the owner is insisting & the GM is against the cutback. But that hardly means that all UK properties are eliminating exec lounges.

This link lists all the UK full-service properties:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13849211-post1.html

Cheers.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I just updated all of the UK properties wrt exec lounges. Updates provided by FTers or the hotels' websites.

Since a few of the UK properties were actively selling exec level rooms on their home pages for 30GBP extra (for general public), I would assume they don't plan on closing their lounges.

Cheers.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Without posting any sort of reference for the rumour you have picked up, threads like these are pretty worthless.

Please provide a source for what you have 'just heard', so that the provenance can be assessed.

Nick
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by CityRules
I've just heard that the UK Marriotts are disbanding their lounges. Really disappointing as I'm finally closing in on gold status.
Seriously, you post this without any link, citation, or even where you heard it from? Seriously?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I just heard that all UK Marriotts are going to begin pouring complementary 25-year-old Glenfarclas in all lounges, effective immediately.

I mean, if we're going to start unsubstantiated rumors, let's start a GOOD one!!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott TfL, Hertz 5*
Talking

Originally Posted by pinniped
I just heard that all UK Marriotts are going to begin pouring complementary 25-year-old Glenfarclas in all lounges, effective immediately.

I mean, if we're going to start unsubstantiated rumors, let's start a GOOD one!!
Seriously, if we're going to have humour let's get the spelling right ..

Complimentary and not complementary !!

Unless the Glenfarglas is being matched with haggis ?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by wenzlydale
let's get the spelling right ...

Unless the Glenfarglas...
lol
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Why don't we close this wothless thread ????
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Back in the day, when I was still a choker, we had a sign over the smoking room that read "No one admitted without an authenticated rumor".
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wenzlydale
Seriously, if we're going to have humour let's get the spelling right ..

Complimentary and not complementary !!

Unless the Glenfarglas is being matched with haggis ?
LOL...

Guy walks into a bar, sits down, orders a beer.

A minute later, he hears a little voice saying "Nice tie." He's not sure where it came from, so he carries on...

A few moments pass, and he hears "Nice shirt!"...but looks around and still can't figure it out.

Another minute passes, and he hears the little voice again: "You're lookin' good."

Finally he decides to tell the bartender, half-wondering if he's going crazy. The bartender says "Oh, that's just the peanuts. They're complementary."
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
LOL...

Guy walks into a bar, sits down, orders a beer.

A minute later, he hears a little voice saying "Nice tie." He's not sure where it came from, so he carries on...

A few moments pass, and he hears "Nice shirt!"...but looks around and still can't figure it out.

Another minute passes, and he hears the little voice again: "You're lookin' good."

Finally he decides to tell the bartender, half-wondering if he's going crazy. The bartender says "Oh, that's just the peanuts. They're complementary."
In these usages, "complimentary."
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
The lounges have voted for their own brexit.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:56 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ohmark
In these usages, "complimentary."
That FT battle was lost many years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.