Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Data Point for Marriott Platinum posting United Silver Status

Data Point for Marriott Platinum posting United Silver Status

 

Old Jul 7, 16, 12:36 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 335
Data Point for Marriott Platinum posting United Silver Status

I had searched for data points, couldn't find any, so if this can be posted somewhere else please move it.

I forgot that each year you qualify as platinum with Marriott you need to have them re-authorize your United account to become Silver.

I had some award tickets I needed to change as space became available, but didn't want to pay the change fee.

As I'm a platinum with Marriott I followed the prompts on their website to post my United Silver status. Got a message that said it would take between 5-7 business days.

It came though for me in less than 24 hours.

Hope this helps someone!
ManFactSpendLA is offline  
Old Jul 7, 16, 12:50 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ATL
Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Posts: 8,737
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA View Post
I had searched for data points, couldn't find any, so if this can be posted somewhere else please move it.

I forgot that each year you qualify as platinum with Marriott you need to have them re-authorize your United account to become Silver.

I had some award tickets I needed to change as space became available, but didn't want to pay the change fee.

As I'm a platinum with Marriott I followed the prompts on their website to post my United Silver status. Got a message that said it would take between 5-7 business days.

It came though for me in less than 24 hours.

Hope this helps someone!
Some of us, like you and me, have had to re-authorize with United. Many people have had their status automatically renewed. Gotta love the consistency on this.
CJKatl is offline  
Old Jul 8, 16, 7:04 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 24,682
I've never touched it since the initial linking. As LT PLT, maybe it's different.
CPRich is offline  
Old Jul 8, 16, 7:34 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 142
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
Some of us, like you and me, have had to re-authorize with United. Many people have had their status automatically renewed. Gotta love the consistency on this.
Mine auto renews.
nightowlrn is offline  
Old Jul 8, 16, 7:46 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Posts: 1,365
So far mine auto renews as well. Currently as Premier Gold. I hope I stay grandfathered at UA Premier Gold.

--Jon
Jon Maiman is offline  
Old Jul 8, 16, 9:13 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,773
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I've never touched it since the initial linking. As LT PLT, maybe it's different.
I've never touched it since the initial linking, and I have no LT status at all yet (just under 1 million lifetime points), but am PLT annually year after year.

So it's different for some people, but not because of LT vs annual status.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Jul 8, 16, 12:49 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Arcadia, CA
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 783
Auto renewed for me
chongl is offline  
Old Jul 8, 16, 4:28 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ATL
Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Posts: 8,737
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I've never touched it since the initial linking. As LT PLT, maybe it's different.
I am LT PLT, and, until this year, PP, but I need to call in. When I questioned this, I was told everyone needs to call in. I told the agent that wasn't true, but she insisted it was. Y'all are proof it's not.
CJKatl is offline  
Old Jul 8, 16, 5:58 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 142
I wonder if it has to do with flight history on United? As in - did you fly United the last calendar year? I did.
nightowlrn is offline  
Old Jul 9, 16, 12:44 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ATL
Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Posts: 8,737
Originally Posted by nightowlrn View Post
I wonder if it has to do with flight history on United? As in - did you fly United the last calendar year? I did.
Maybe! I did not fly UA last year, but have this year, so I'll find out.
CJKatl is offline  
Old Jul 9, 16, 7:26 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,773
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
I've never touched it since the initial linking, and I have no LT status at all yet (just under 1 million lifetime points), but am PLT annually year after year.

So it's different for some people, but not because of LT vs annual status.
Originally Posted by nightowlrn View Post
I wonder if it has to do with flight history on United? As in - did you fly United the last calendar year? I did.
Ok, I'll add. I'm not LT Plat, and I haven't flown United in close to a decade (ie, long before this tie-up between Marriott and United started). I did redeem UA miles once in recent times, almost 2 years ago, for partner flights. I've never ever yet done a paid UA flight in my life. I earn UA redeemable miles regularly from partner activities (dining, hotels, car rentals, etc). I had a UA credit card for a year, but cancelled it over a year ago.

I've gotten my Marriott Plat -> United Silver status auto-renewed every single year.

So please start a new theory. All existing theories I seem to disprove. (It only takes a single datapoint to disprove a theory. It takes a lot of datapoints to prove one.)
sdsearch is offline  
Old Jul 9, 16, 8:44 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,048
for someone who is a Marriott Platinum who got comped silver. It is worthless. I was zone 2 on a 2 zone flight I took yesterday. Actually a small plane with limited overhead space. I don't hardly ever fly United.

Oh well. I think United got the better end of this deal.
jr1202sr is offline  
Old Jul 9, 16, 12:10 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 142
re - value of UA Silver. I fly it with spouse about once a year. Free bag = $25 each way. In the last 3 years - upgraded first class SFO to Honolulu going out and to economy plus back. Upgraded LA to Tokyo economy plus both ways. Going NY to Lisbon next week - hoping for economy plus, but so far lots of empty first class seats so perhaps we will get lucky...forever the optimist

So - tangible value $150 in 3 years. Upgrades have value - but as we are cheap a$$ flyers and wouldn't pay for the upgraded space - it is just a perk.

This guy estimated the value of various UA benefits per level of status http://thepointsguy.com/2014/12/what...-status-worth/

Last edited by nightowlrn; Jul 9, 16 at 12:15 pm
nightowlrn is offline  
Old Jul 12, 16, 12:41 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: DFW/SAT/ABQ/TAT
Programs: AA PLT/4MM, DL SM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt , AMEX Bus Plt
Posts: 551
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Ok, I'll add. I'm not LT Plat, and I haven't flown United in close to a decade (ie, long before this tie-up between Marriott and United started). I did redeem UA miles once in recent times, almost 2 years ago, for partner flights. I've never ever yet done a paid UA flight in my life. I earn UA redeemable miles regularly from partner activities (dining, hotels, car rentals, etc). I had a UA credit card for a year, but cancelled it over a year ago.

I've gotten my Marriott Plat -> United Silver status auto-renewed every single year.

So please start a new theory. All existing theories I seem to disprove. (It only takes a single datapoint to disprove a theory. It takes a lot of datapoints to prove one.)
Your situation almost perfectly describes mine with the exception of a couple more years of partner redemption.
texmanufan is offline  
Old Jul 12, 16, 7:52 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 24,682
Originally Posted by jr1202sr View Post
for someone who is a Marriott Platinum who got comped silver. It is worthless.
4 Free bags on a family ski trip (skis, boots, bulky clothing, etc.), E+ seating at checkin, comp. upgrade (let my daughter take it) - not quite worthless....
CPRich is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread