Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2002, 8:04 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
I had to stay at Hampton Inns (never do it!) in the boonies of VA and WV for sometime and they ALWAYS asked for the AAA card. Only been asked 4 times at Marriotts. At the Toronto Bloor Yorkville Marriott, Zurich Marriott, San Diego Marina Marriott and I think the Courtyard in Little Rock.
Old May 4, 2002, 9:53 am

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
I stay almost 150 nites a year almost always on one of the discounted rates. and I have only been asked for ID once..... at the Courtyard RDU (see it was so unusual I actually remembered the hotel). Never been asked whether I was on a AAA, AARP or GOVT rate before that stay.

------------------
AA member since 1981
Old May 4, 2002, 7:23 pm

Location: SLC, UT/ Delta - PM; Marriott - PM; Hilton - Gold; Hyatt - Diamond, Hertz - President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by R&R:
The AAA rate is always the lowest available. Sometimes the weekend special rates are lower and the AARP is you are a member can be lower.</font>
I always thought so too - until this week. I just booked a stay in Portland where the "regular" rate is $10.00 less than the AAA rate.
Old May 5, 2002, 2:26 am
R&R

Yup, I just found a Government rate higher then the AAA rate and the corporate rate.

Old May 5, 2002, 7:28 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
I stay exclusively at Marriott properties, about 100+ nights per year.

Sometimes the AAA rate is the lowest, sometimes the AARP rate is the lowest, and sometimes, expecially on weekends, the regular old Marriott rate is the lowest.

It's the craziest thing...
Old May 5, 2002, 10:44 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
I agree its all over the map, I always double check all the available rates on Marriott.com as well as several of the major travel sites such as Travelocity. (every once in a while Travelocity has a better rate than the Marriott site)

------------------
AA member since 1981
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:58 pm

Changing a booked "AAA" to "e-Break" rate

I am not sure if these questions have been "asked and answered":

Two weeks ago I booked rooms (via the hotel's reservation desk) based on the Marriott website's AAA rate for next weekend, which is the lowest listed rate I qualify for. However, after signing up for weekly Marriott email specials I noticed that the "Marriott e-Break rate for last-minute weekend travel" in last Monday's email is almost $20 per night less than the AAA rate. If this Monday's email is likely to have the same e-Break rate for the upcoming weekend, would the hotel reservationist automatically reduce the rate at check-in or should I negotiate this ahead of time to make sure I can still have the specific rooms I booked which have connecting rooms etc.. With a lower rate, I don't want to be downgraded to a 'lesser' room.

Also, in Marriott's room terminology, what is the difference between "deluxe" and "standard deluxe" rooms of the same bed-type category, the latter being $20 more?

Thanks...this is my first time posting- I appreciate all the useful information I have gleaned from the Flyertalk forums
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:04 am

Don't expect to negotiate at check-in. Either cancel and re-book, or call and change your rate.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 9:14 am

I give about a three percent chance of the same hotel showing up for a second week. I watch the weekend breaks email fairly closely as my wife and I go on a lot of short weekend trips, and rarely do the hotels show up several weeks in a row...hardly ever in the same month.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
In any case, don't cancel and rebook. Rebook and cancel.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:09 pm

Can I get away with AAA rate code as a non-AAA member?

I am not an AAA member. Is anyone going to check for ID when I check in?

(I was surprised not to be able to find a thread on this topic already.) Thanks in advance for your input.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
I haven't been asked for my AAA card since at the Palm Desert Residence Inn last year. I predominently use the AAA rate for our stays, since the FT codes either don't work or aren't any better.

YMMV, of course. Doesn't hurt to have a backup reservation in case they ask. Better than getting hit with the walk-up rate. Cancel (checking in before 6pm at most properties will make this possible) and switch

Good luck!

Pat

Last edited by camachinist; Oct 25, 2005 at 11:33 pm Reason: add info....
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:35 pm

Programs: MR Plat HH Gold, DL Plat, UA 3P
Originally Posted by Rasputin
I am not an AAA member. Is anyone going to check for ID when I check in?

(I was surprised not to be able to find a thread on this topic already.) Thanks in advance for your input.
Wouldn't it be easier to pay the $35 - $50 (or whatever it costs) for a AAA membership and just be honest? A few stays and it pays for itself.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 6:02 am

I haven't been asked for my AAA membership card in years and usually use AAA-rates so I guess they just trust you...or don't really care.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:08 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
I've always found the general rates for where I stay to be lower than the AAA rates.. maybe I'm just lucky?

Ron.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.